WB and UPN... going away (seriously, as in for everyone)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ebonovic, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3708754

If DirecTV was given indications on this, it would explain why they only when with the big 4 for their rollout plans for MPEG-4

2. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Explains a lot, don't it?

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Not really, most of those WB and UPN stations still broadcast HD and are often still carried on local cable systems. Their being missing from the DirecTV lineup is still a competitive disadvantage for DirecTV.

4. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I think the point was, why bother negotiating with WB and UPN to get them on HD-LIL if they're going away as separate channels within the year. By the time 2006 is up and the 24+ top markets have HD-LIL satellite capability, D* can start offering the new "CW" channel (one channel = one negotiation = less work for D*) via HD-LIL.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

That's my take on it....

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Well then after CW goes on the satellite I want my 500 bucks back for my antenna/install problems :)

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You negotiate with the station owner groups anyway, so they'll be negotiating with the same owners for the same stations. Nothing changes in that regard. Possibly the network agreement will permit a national satellite delivered channel -- but that doesn't change DirecTV needing to negotiate to carry all the local HD stations to remain competitive with cable; it just might mean some of those stations are no longer affiliated with a network.

8. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    This whole thing has my hopes up. In my market Sinclair owns our Fox and WB. The Fox is HD and the WB isn't and won't be according to sinclair station manager. Our UPN is owned by Raymand inc. They also own our CBS here. The CBS has been full power HD for a very long time compared to all our other stations. They also seem to be very well financed. They started to do UPN 3 years ago as a low power station. It's still low power but it's carried on every cable and sat company in our region. There are also offered as a sub channel on the digital cbs signal.

Sinclair seems to be the biggest loser in this deal according to many over at avs forums. So I'm hoping they decide to have nothing to do with the CW since they are fighting moving to HD so hard. Then I'd like to see our CBS affiliate commit to finally going HD and full power with CW. The other scenario that could work to my benefit is if D* picks up the CW as Hd LIL or as a national channel. Then if they haven't worked out the details for my market I ask for waivers to get the national channel or the St. Louis CW that is now WB11.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The other thing Rupert's decision about LIL for UPN and WB does is gives him leverage to get CW affiliation in his duopoly stations. He could dangle early LIL for those who affiliate with FOX-owned stations, and drag his feet for those who don't. He could also dangle a temporary CONUS CW channel if all of his duopoly stations get affiliation, which would help the CW launch, which they need desperately. If he doesn't get full affiliation, he could create a CONUS HD and an SD channel from his 20th movie library and sports holdings to compete directly with and to counterprogram CW, just to twist the knife. It's good to be the king.

10. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    For two channels that don't mean squat to me this whole issue is getting a lot of play on these boards.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Those channels may not mean much to you, but others see some good squat on them. :)

BTW, do you even have WB or UPN in Elmira?

Maybe like ours in Binghamton? Cable only WB and low power UPN.

12. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    WXXT (ch. 30 ant, ch. 11 cable) carries UPN, but WB is TWC only (ch. 2) same as Bingotown. The fact that WETM (NBC) owns WXXT leaves it's future a bit up in the air, but basically WXXT carries the programming that WPIX does except for local news and any programming that's for the metro area only.

I shouldn't say it doesn't mean squat because I do TiVo the Mets' games and I did just set up a SP for "Everybody Hates Chris" last week. I guess most of the stuff these stations airs flies under my TV radar.