Way slow to start recordings again.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kdonnel, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...

Advertisements

Last night my HD Tivo (3.1.5f) was due to record Earl at 8:00pm, CSI at 9:00pm, Shark at 10:00pm, and ER at 10:00pm.

It missed the first minute of Earl. I only got a 29 minute recording.

It somehow managed to start and stop recording CSI on time. I got a whole hour.

Shark did not start recording until 10:04.

ER did not start recording until 10:06.

I don't remember having these problems last fall.

I know the 6.3a update provides a speedier user interface but will it also speed up what ever is taking place in the background that keeps the TiVo from starting recordings on time?

P.S. I have two HD Tivo's both on 3.1.5f. Both are set to record the same shows as a backup in case of hard drive failure. The second one got all of Earl, missed 2 minutes of CSI, started Shark at almost the same instant as the other, but got 4 more minutes of ER.

2. JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004
    I've started having these problems recently (last two weeks), also with 3.1.5. I had another problem. I had a recording START 3 minutes early, picking up a few minutes of the buffer. This was not a Manual recoding, but a SP.

Is this a "3.1.5 is starting to get congested" problem? Or is DTV sending down something different over the last few weeks? Possibly different/more guide info that is taking more memory in the DTiVos?

I reboot the machine once a week. Phone line not plugged in, still on 3.5.1.

jdg

3. clueless2

clueless2 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I am having similar problems so I hope your 6.3 theory is correct. I'm tempted to try a "clear and delete" and see if that cleans up things and fixes this problem. I've also had a couple of occasions where the tuner was already on whatever channel was going to be recorded and the recording started 3 or 4 minutes early. Very weird indeed.

btw.. my "Earl" started recording on time last night.

4. Joseph e

Joseph e New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Nothing positive to add, just that I have experienced these problems for months. SciFi seems to be the worst.

5. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

This is a known quirk...in fact, there is an hack available which automatically pads time before recording IIRC (of course that only applies if your unit is hacked, but just pointing out that it is a known problem and that people have even created hacks to get around it)

6. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I used to have this problem all the time -- it was characterized by recordings that started late by a minute or so, and the time-display would have a "gap" at the beginning (ie: a lack of green) that correctly indicated that a piece of the show was missing.

Though many discussions here, I ended up replacing the hard drive (9 months ago) and it hasn't happened since ..... until last night. I was staring right at the front panel as 8pm rolled around, and noticed it wasn't recording -- it was scheduled to record "Earl" and "Supernatural." I went into the "To Do" list to make sure they were there, and they were -- but nothing was recording. Then about a minute later, it started. Both then showed the "gap" in the time display.

I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

(version 3.1.5f BTW)

7. cpkramers

cpkramers New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Only very recently have I noticed this problem. The recording seems to be starting a minute or two late and runs a minute or two long. This just started the last week or two on our SP's. Last nights Survivor recording had maybe a minute of CSI on the end of it, and CSI started about a minute late... for example.

8. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Clear and delete program and guide data. Many people find this helps with lots of HR10-250 problems.

Your recorded programs will be preserved but you'll have to reenter your season passes, so write them down beforehand.