Way behind in my TV viewing

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1 of 129
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Between the World Series and going away for a week on vacation, I am seriously behind on my TV viewing. In fact, my DVR (with an external 1 GB HD) is down to 47% of capacity, the lowest it's ever been (never been below 50% before). So I'm trying to work my way through all the saved stuff. Movies are easy, I save them until I have time to watch, during down times. But my regular shows...I'm 2-3 episodes behind on most of them.

So, how do you all catch up when you have a lot backlogged? Do you go by date and work your way to the present? Do you watch every episode of each series before moving on to the next one? Do you make sure to watch certain types of show (i.e. reality ahead of scripted, etc.) first?

I'm just glad mid season break is coming up soon. I am sure it will take me most of the break to catch up with just the main shows. Then I have a few documentary series to watch too.

2. Nov 15, 2011 #2 of 129
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I'm always behind too, but I don't really have a consistent method of catching up. I just look at the list and pick something. Rinse and repeat.

This is often how I determine that a SP should be deleted. After months of not catching up on a particular show, I figure it's just not that important to me or I would have chosen it to watch.

But now that I have a 2 TB drive installed, I can go quite a long time before making those cuts. :)

3. Nov 15, 2011 #3 of 129
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We keep up pretty well..any stray shows we just go in order of date shown and what kind of mood we're in..meaning, do we feel like a marathon of drama or comedy.

4. Nov 15, 2011 #4 of 129
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    How do you figure that out?

5. Nov 15, 2011 #5 of 129
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    On the DirecTV DVRs they give you an approximate percentage remaining on the Now Playing list. IRC, the Tivos didn't

6. Nov 15, 2011 #6 of 129
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Depends on the show. Some I'll watch all of them before moving on, others I'll just watch by date. I have so many on my DVR right now too. I haven't seen any House or CSI Miami this season. I guess that tells you how important they are. And I was so busy over the summer, all my USA shows are sitting.....which means the ones coming back already are starting and I haven't even gotten to the beginning. That's my goal over turkey day weekend.

ETA: Also I tend to watch the half hour shows (I guess they are all comedies) much faster because I can zip through them so quickly and if I don't see every scene I'm not really missing much.

7. Nov 15, 2011 #7 of 129
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Ah. Well, I have a regular TiVo. I usually figure out how many hours by counting down the shows in the now playing list (140 hours available - 60 hours of shows saved = 80 hours left) What I worry about is when the deleted show list gets low because I think then it will take shows that I may not have watched but haven't extended view time or such.

And I do have quite a few shows I am just saving up to watch later. I think that happened because I fell into a chasm of Netflix where I found a couple series to watch (eureka, breaking bad) and am skipping the regular shows to watch these.

I did catch up on my Chuck episodes and found myself FF thru the most recent one. Made me sad, but it just isn't there this season.

8. Nov 15, 2011 #8 of 129
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    When I run of space I start deleting. I'll catch 'em in reruns or never watch them.

9. Nov 15, 2011 #9 of 129
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    My DVR is like 250 GB or something. Last night it said I had about 25% free space. I've watched very little TV the last couple weeks.

Last night I pruned a couple shows off my DVR that I wasn't super interested in. I also spent the night watching TV and I got my DVR all the way up to like 30% free space. I think I want a bigger hard drive, but then I'd just have that much more stuff to watch during times when I need to catch up.

Are there like fewer TV shows on between Thanksgiving and Xmas? I think my DVR needs a break from recording new shows.

10. Nov 15, 2011 #10 of 129
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I really don't have a method other than I try to not start a new series until I finish one. I can only follow so many shows at once or I start forgetting what's going on. I have full and multiple seasons of shows that I have to get to still. Once I get caught up on the shows I'm watching now and with shows going on winter hiatus, I might be able to start on some of the other shows like Sons of Anarchy, Rookie Blue, and Breaking Bad amongst many others.

11. Nov 15, 2011 #11 of 129
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Many multiple terrabytes, plus the backups.

The ones we really like we try to keep up with. Castle, Fringe, we watch pretty much same week. But in the kinda pleasant, no real hurry shows, multi-years behind. In seasons where there are only 1-2 current shows worth watching we catch up a little bit, but with 3-4 series we like right now, we just don't watch enough TV to make any real dent in the backlog.

Friends have promised that, on my deathbed, they will tell me how it all turns out.

12. Nov 15, 2011 #12 of 129
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Me too, but sometimes I get "into" a show, and end up catching up on a show.

I (try to) ALWAYS watch a show, oldest episode to newest.. even for something like a sitcom where it almost never matters. Once in a while when I had different episodes on different Tivos, and watched the wrong one first, it was annoying. But I had a Tivo drive go bad, so I am also breaking that for a few shows, but am keeping track of which episodes I've seen so I can hopefully see the rest later (esp if I resurrect the drive).

13. Nov 15, 2011 #13 of 129
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Good, I'm not the only one who has been multi-years behind. But unfortunately I didn't have the backups. So I lost at least the last season or so of Cold Case on my S3 drive that died (gets power, spins, but doesn't show up as attached -- hopefully controller card.. however it was attached to a S3 that is also dead itself at the moment).

14. Nov 16, 2011 #14 of 129
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    If I get to the end of a season and I've not watched any episodes... I just delete it. That's how The Good Wife went for example; I really liked that show but I just could never find the time. Ditto Burn Notice. Otherwise, we just go through and pick a show we both feel like watching at any given time.

15. Nov 16, 2011 #15 of 129
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    My problem will be solved in 79 days when I retire. Between my job and my hobby, I have enough time to watch three shows a week. I'm already 21 shows behing on NCIS.

16. Nov 16, 2011 #16 of 129
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    We do 2 types of shows

1 - We record while it's airing and watch every week or 2 or 3, just scattered, no rhyme or reason to the order, just whatever we feel like
    2 - Series like Dexter or Breaking Bad (for me) or True Blood we will just save up and watch them marathon style.

I think some shows are so much better to sit and watch a whole season at once.
    We did that with Game of Thrones, watched the season in like a week, so much easier to follow if they are fresh.

17. Nov 16, 2011 #17 of 129
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I tend to watch 30 minute shows first. They are a smaller commitment and I plow through them. The shows that build up for me are the hour long shows.

I had 7 episodes of Homeland built up on my DVR. I hear the show is excellent and I'll get around to it eventually. To save space, I removed the show from my DVR and downloaded the shows off usnet instead. I figure I'm paying for Showtime and this justifies my theft. :)

18. Nov 16, 2011 #18 of 129
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    Thank god for this thread, now I don't feel so bad. Over the holidays it appears I'm not the only one with a ton of catching up to do!

19. Nov 16, 2011 #19 of 129
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    If you over record and need to catch up always, it makes up for the times when new shows are on a break, and of course over the summer.

If you spread out 9 months of TV over 12, you are covered perfectly!

20. Nov 16, 2011 #20 of 129
    kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    There are certain shows that we keep up with....those tend to be reality shows, plus a few of our favorites. When we get behind on shows we tend to watch a block of the same show and catch up. I know I have a hard time remembering what has happened in the past episodes so by watching them all together, there's less time for me to forget what is going on!