Water got into my UPS, any hope for my TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by salomon888, Jan 5, 2006.

1. salomon888

salomon888 New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Playa del...

Advertisements

Okay, so a lot of water got into my UPS (don't ask), I heard zapping sounds and it shorted out my TiVo. I immediately unplugged everything, went out to buy another UPS, came home and made sure all of the plugs were dry and plugged my TiVo into a normal surge protector (since the UPS wasn't fully charged yet).

The TiVo booted up nicely, but a few seconds into a program, the picture dumped to black and the TiVo would not respond to the remote. I unplugged the TiVo, and here I sit.

I have two (nearly full) 160GB hard drives so I'm worried I'm going to lose everything. Thoughts?

Chris
    p.s. this is by far the best forum for everything TiVo/TV related! Thanks in advance for your help!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Did the Tivo get wet, too? A dying UPS should not have "zapped" the devices plugged into it. The fact that your Tivo booted up and allowed you to start watching suggests that it wasn't damaged. I would suggest trying to restart/reboot it again.

3. salomon888

salomon888 New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Playa del...
    No, the TiVo did not get wet. But I've had hard drive problems in the past (due to bad wiring in my apartment), so I was worried that any kind of electrical disturbance might further damage my drives....anyway, I just rebooted it, and so far, so good. I'll keep my fingers crossed and make a DVD recording of my Season Pass list.....

Thanks!