Watchmen - S01E04 "If You Don't Like My Story, Write Your Own" 11/10/2019 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    More and more is being revealed.

First, we have to talk about the creepiness of Adrian Veidt fishing babies out of the lake and then "growing" them into adults in his lab. That was just bizarre. But it seems he's definitely trying to figure out a way to escape and seems to have found it with the catapult. The bodies he flung into the sky seemed to abruptly disappear at some point. I wonder if he's in some kind of alternate-reality bubble. The part I don't understand is why he thinks that simply getting outside the bubble will set him free. For all he knows, the bubble is on Mars or the moon or Antarctica or in outer space and if he gets outside the bubble, he'll suffocate or freeze to death.

Lady Trieu is an interesting addition. The fact that she's working with Will Reeves is very intriguing. Will said that in three days, Angela is going to find out what he did and she's going to hate him. Does that mean he killed Judd? Clearly he's not a feeble old man in a wheelchair as he originally wanted her to believe. And when they said "tick-tock, tick-tock" at the end of that scene, was that because they're in league with or somehow behind the Seventh Kavalry? Or was that a reference to the giant Doomsday Clock?

Angela didn't seem all that surprised when Petey told her that Laurie Blake was the child of two of the original Minutemen. I wonder if she already knew. Or she's just really good at suppressing her emotions.

A few other things to discuss but can't remember specifics at this point. Your turn . . .

2. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Or a large-cosmic scale version of Angry Birds.

Lady Trieu offering a already-born baby to the egg couple for their farmland was creepier than the lobster traps full of infants. Maybe Trieu's kids are born via the same method as Veidt's servants? (which I still suspect are Dr Manhattan's created life forms)

3. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    There is a history of genetic engineering/cloning from Veidt Enterprises (Bubastis, "Alien" Squids). When Lady Trieu acquired Veidt Enterprises, she acquired the technology.

The baby is a clone from the barren parents' DNA. Bian is a clone of Lady Trieu with epigenetic memories of Lady Trieu.

Mr. Phillips and Ms. Crookshanks are clones genetically engineered to serve Adrian Veidt, and the lake is some sort of gestational pool.

Adrian Veidt is a prisoner of Lady Trieu. Dr. Manhatttan may have nothing to do with his imprisonment. Lady Trieu has the technology to provide Veidt with servants, land, and castle, even on the moon.

Interested in seeing what Will Reeves is planning.

4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The one thing pointing to Dr. Manhattan being involved is that in that “Mars footage” from the first episode where we seen him, he’s creating and destroying a sand structure that’s identical to the building that Veidt is living in. That can’t be a coincidence.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I swear we're going to see Veidt catapult himself out of a bubble on the moon, across the vastness of space, into a giant catchers mitt built by Trieu.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Oh yeah, what was that asteroid that hit just moments after Lady Trieu completed her acquisition of the farm? Seems pretty obvious she knew that was about to happen and that's why she needed them to sign the contract so fast. But it makes you wonder: If she knew about it far enough in advance to clone a baby, why not approach them in a more traditional manner and make an offer that doesn't feel like extortion? Or maybe does it not take her more than a few hours to clone a baby and she didn't know about that asteroid until shortly before it happened, which meant she didn't have time to prepare.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    You're maybe forgetting that in the previous episode, we saw him using a clone to test some sort of "space suit" looking getup.

8. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    On the /FilmDaily podcast (they are doing a weekly Monday Watchmen ep) one host pointed out that Lady Trieu was a female warrior akin to Joan of Arc
    Lady Triệu - Wikipedia
    And elephants were associated with her, hence all the elephant imagery around Lady Trieu's place

Tony_T likes this.
  9. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Dr. Manhattan has distanced himself from humanity. He basically endorsed Veidt's plan of genocide to save humanity at the end of the graphic novel and movie. Why would he imprison/punish Veidt 22 years later? Lady Trieu on the other hand ...

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I don’t think I would describe it as genocide in the Comic.
    The movie gave a really strong reason for Dr. Manhattan not to return to earth, but not so much in the comic (looks like the HBO version is following closer to the comic as far as the ending is concerned)
    And Dr. Manhattan’s decision to remain silent after the fact (in both the comic and the movie) is not really an endorsement, but a decision that to not remain silent would make matters worse.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  11. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    3 million people is not a genocide?

12. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    I couldn't call 3M New Yorkers a genocide. Genocide is commonly defined as a conspiracy to exterminate national, religious or racial groups.

One of the wilder YT-commenter theories about Lady Trieu:
    Is that she is the daughter of Eddie Blake/The Comedian. He shot a pregnant woman carrying his child in the original Watchmen story. And it's presumed that Dr Manhattan saved the baby she was carrying.

13. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    He already told Angela “I’m the one who strung up your chief of police.” [What a great scene.] So, there must be something else. Perhaps, he made a deal with Lady Trieu to receive some genetic enhancements to regain use of his legs or reverse aging?

14. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    New Yorkers don't count? Okay, then let's call it mass murder.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Veidt’s intent (in the comic) was not to exterminate all of New York City.

16. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Manhattan decides to do nothing to save the mother, and decides to save the unborn child after the fact? I find that hard to believe from an entity that said "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?"

Not to say Lady Trieu isn't the same unborn child. The mother was in the late stages of pregnancy and the fetus would be mature enough survive a spontaneous delivery as the mother lay dying.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Intent doesn't really matter, Veidt knew the consequences of the attack as did the Comedian, Rorschach, Dr Manhattan, Dan Dreiberg and Laurie Juspeczyk/Blake. They all knew there would be mass casualties if the plan was enacted.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But genocide isn't "mass casualties"; it's very specific mass casualties. Veidt's mass murder was not at all specific.

19. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I still say New Yorkers count as a group, but it doesn't really matter. Let's just call it mass murder. It's not any less horrific.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Veidt wanted to prevent the genocide of all humanity. Not defending his methods, but he averted nuclear disaster and potentially deaths of billions of people.