Watchmen - S01E03 "She Was Killed By Space Junk" 11/03/2019 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019 #1 of 54
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Lots of interesting stuff in this episode. But a lot of it hinges on knowing at least some of the backstory from the graphic novel. As with previous threads, spoilers about the graphic novel and movie are fair game.

- Laurie Blake was Silk Spectre in the graphic novel. She once dated Dr. Manhattan and then later dated Dan Drieberg (Nite Owl). So apparently at some point after the end of the book, she stopped working as a masked vigilante and now works for the FBI on the anti-vigilante task force. When Senator Keene talked to her and said he needed her help investigating what's going on in Tulsa, he said that if he could get elected President, he could let her owl out of its cage, a reference to him being able to pardon Nite Owl. But if the Tulsa stuff goes badly, his shot at being POTUS is ruined and Nite Owl stays in jail.

- The "joke" she told throughout the episode clearly referenced three of the main male characters from the book. The first one who got judged was Nite Owl (Drieberg), the second was Ozymandias (Adrian Veidt), and the third was Dr. Manhattan.

- Adrian Veidt clearly identified himself so even though we previously suspected that's who that character was, it wasn't confirmed until now. We still don't know what is going on with him, but it seems that he's in some kind of captivity, something he agreed to, and he seems to be doing experiments (using his clones as expendable crash-test dummies) to find a way out.

- Wow! So Laurie carries that "reminder" of Dr. Manhattan with her, even on road trips. But apparently even that wasn't enough, as she decided to show up at the door of her colleague, Petey.

- The additional material on HBO's website is called the "Peteypedia" and now we know who it is named after and presumably who has been compiling that information.

Where did the car at the end come from? We know it was Angela's car that got lifted away at the end of last episode, but there didn't appear to be anything in the sky that could have dropped it. Very strange.

Laurie Blake admitted they were going to exhume Judd's body to do a toxicology screen. I wonder what she thinks that would show? Either way, there's no way to test him now, because he's in about a million pieces all over the cemetery.

cheesesteak and gossamer88 like this.
  2. Nov 4, 2019 #2 of 54
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Considering when she looked up at the sky, they very prominently showed Mars, we can maybe guess what in the sky could have dropped it (maybe somebody who she says has no sense of humor, about whom she has just told a fairly unflattering joke)...

DevdogAZ likes this.
  3. Nov 4, 2019 #3 of 54
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    This is the second piece of pop culture I can think of that involves Channel 8 in Tulsa. (The first is the "Weird Al" Yankovic movie 'UHF.")

heySkippy likes this.
  4. Nov 4, 2019 #4 of 54
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I'll be happy if it begins to feel more like the Watchmen universe. This week was good progress towards that.

5. Nov 4, 2019 #5 of 54
    cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    So, Senator Joe Keene, Jr. is involved with a conspiracy secretly supporting the Seventh Kavalry, so he looks like a hero and becomes POTUS. Hooded Justice, with a possible assist from Dr. Manhattan, is trying to out the conspiracy.

Or is Damon Lindelof just leading us down the garden path just to take a detour?

I'll stay tuned at the same time next week on the same Bat channel.

6. Nov 4, 2019 #6 of 54
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I don't think the car was Dr Manhattan. When it went up, it was clearly attached to a giant electromagnet on a cable - more like the sort of thing you'd dangle from the bottom of a flying owlship. Coming down, I have no idea where it came from, but I'm fairly sure it was terrestrial in origin. Of course I do think Specter thinks Dr Manhattan just threw a car at her for giggles.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  7. Nov 4, 2019 #7 of 54
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I’m glad I read the comic a few weeks ago ($6 Amazon Kindle version) i’ve read that you could enjoy the show without knowing the background of the comic but to be honest with you there’s so much in this episode that I don’t think you could enjoy it otherwise (for example how can anybody know what that big blue “reminder “ was :))

Really enjoying the show. It does remind me a bit of Legion, especially now that Jean Smart showed up.

I’m also enjoying the newspaper headlines. This week we find out that (John) Grisham is retiring from Supreme Court ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. Nov 5, 2019 #8 of 54
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    As someone who hasn't read the comic, but knew the very high level gist of it I'm enjoying the show on a few levels
    Watch the episode and catch maybe 75% of everything
    Listen to a few podcasts and enjoy it some more
    Then read the Peteypedia and enjoy it even more
    Then read some articles throughout the week

Rinse and repeat next week

Tony_T likes this.
  9. Nov 5, 2019 #9 of 54
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Unless I'm missing something, Hooded Justice isn't a real character in the universe of this show. He is a fictional character on a TV show, "American Hero Story," that plays in the universe of this show.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In the comics, he was the OG superhero...the masked vigilante who inspired all the rest.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  11. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I liked the Memo this week on Peteypedia written by Dale Petey himself :)

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    This has probably been mentioned 10 times. There is an "Official Watchmen Podcast" out. It is hosted by the creator of Chernobyl, Craig Mazin. Damon Lindelof is the other person on the podcast. They are releasing one episode of the podcast after every 3 episodes of the TV show. First episode is just under an hour.

caslu and MikeMar like this.
  13. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Hooded Justice was a 'real' character and one of the original Minutemen back in the 1940's. "American Hero Story" is presenting a somewhat fictionalized version of his 'real life' (from the graphic novel) exploits.

14. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Just curious as to why you wouldn't read the comic... don't like the medium? Not enough time? Just plain not interested? While not required, it really does provide a wealth of background for the show and is considered a seminal work in the comic book genre. BTW, as noted elsewhere, there is a motion comic version of the graphic novel available on Amazon Prime and I found it to be a good refresher since it's been quite some time since I read the comic. Heck, even Zach Snyder's movie is a good refresher (although I know a lot of people don't share that opinion).

dianebrat likes this.
  15. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Oh it's on my short list of what to read next. I literally never read a graphic novel or really many comics (just some basic Batman type stuff 30 years ago)
    I'm 3/4 way through Paper Girls and then reading Watchmen next, really looking forward to it!

That's why I listen to 3 different podcasts (3rd being the official 3 ep recap one) and read the Peteypedia and other articles. Gets anything I miss

16. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I ordered a copy of Watchmen paperback off Amazon for like $15. I've seen the movie a couple times, but I'm not much of a reader. I'm enjoying this TV show so much, I want to go back and read the graphic novel.

17. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Watchmen is literally the only "graphic novel" aka long comic book that I've ever read. I bought it because I liked the movie. The comic is good, the movie is better.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You are dead to me.

;)

LlamaLarry, TAsunder, bruab and 3 others like this.
  19. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm enjoying the show but still don't what the hell is going on. :D

FYI, /Filmcast has also started a podcast.

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Point taken, but that doesn't address the post I was responding to, which said that Hooded Justice, with an assist from Dr. Manhattan, is trying to expose a conspiracy involving Senator Keene and the Seventh Kavalry. While there may be a conspiracy, Hooded Justice is not trying to expose it.