Watching TV... then grey screen...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mr_lala, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mr_lala

mr_lala New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Hi folks,

New S3 HD owner with a strange problem here. I've only had the new box for a few days (upgraded from an S2), but every now and then, I'll be watching a show and the TV will just go grey. I change channels, and same thing... just a blank grey screen on every channel. No messages about signal or anything.

Just to be sure, I've checked the signal strength and such in the Settings area, and everything appears fine, and other TV's in the house and the cable internet are still going strong.

A reboot of the Tivo fixes it every time... until it seemingly randomly decides to go to a grey screen again.

Any ideas? Oh, and boy do I have a horror story to tell about Charter and my cablecard installation... but that's another thread. :D

TIA.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you certain both CableCards are activated / authorized? IIRC, grey screens are common when one CableCard is authorized and the other is not.

Are you able to record two different digital cable channels (other than locals) at once?

3. mr_lala

mr_lala New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Yeap, I was actually lucky enough to get an m-card, and I can record 2 digital channels at once.

4. mr_lala

mr_lala New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I ended up calling this into Tivo support this afternoon. After a bit of troubleshooting, the tech said he thought it was a hardware issue in the box, and is sending a replacement. Will update this thread when I get & test the new box. :)

5. mr_lala

mr_lala New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Just wanted to let everyone know this was in fact a hardware issue. Tivo overnighted me a new box, and it's working like a charm.

6. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    See? this restores my faith in Tivo's sincre desire to keep as well as expand their customer base... :up: