Watching TiVo Remotely

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Jim1348, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015

Advertisements

I currently have a Slingbox PRO-HD. For the past few years have used it for DISH Network. I recently canceled DISH, but I still use the Slingbox PRO-HD over the air tuner to listen to the local news on my drive into work. I have never been able to watch on-line at work, however, because Slingbox needs to download software and our work computers are locked down.

So, my questions are as follows. If I buy a TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB, can I watch live, over the air broadcasts, remotely on a computer? Assuming that I can, do I have to download any software or does it simply work from a Tivo website? Also, if I want to listen to the audio only remotely, without having a picture, is that an option?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The Roamio OTA doesn't have streaming built in. You'd have to also buy a separate TiVo Stream, and even then it still won't do what you want it to do. You can do in home streaming from the TiVo website but not out-of-home streaming. That only works with the Android and iOS apps.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You don't need any software for streaming from your Slingbox. You can stream using this url (assuming your work firewall doesn't block it):
    http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

4. tamathat

tamathat Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin
    I sling from my tivo to an older android tablet propped on my desk over wifi. I have it in the corner of my desk with a small speaker.

5. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001

Advertisements

To play a Slingbox in Internet Explorer, you still need to download and install the SlingPlayer Web Plug-in, which Jim1348 can't do at work. That's why he's asking about streaming using the TiVo instead.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The URL I provided works fine in Internet Explorer or other browsers without need for Sling plug-in. I use the above url for a Linux OS as well which doesn't even support the Sling plug-in. Also, avoiding use of Sling plug-in means you avoid the Ads around the player as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    My experience is the same as moyekj's. I pretty much use that link exclusively when I watch my tivo+slingbox. I use it mostly on my chromebook and it works great. No plugin required.