Watching sports out of house (download, then watch)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by adamhochman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. adamhochman

adamhochman New Member

Dec 9, 2013

Advertisements

Hello,
    I just got my Roamio. One of the things I got it for (or so I thought) was its ability to perform Slingbox-like capabilities in addition to the DVR. I wanted to ask your experience with this sort of thing.

Specifically, if I'm out of the house when a sporting event is going, my thought is to record it and then start downloading it to my phone. After letting it buffer I could watch it on my phone. I had read this is possible (or so I thought).

After using the Tivo app (which seems a bit kludgy) I'm not sure. This is pretty important so I wanted to see others' experiences.

Does anyone have experience doing this sort of thing, downloading and watching a sporting event, nearly in real time? Is it only possible on Wifi and can I use cell signal as well? Or is it possible to stream the event?

All comments are welcome.
    Thanks in advance

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Andriod app: You can stream it or you can download it, I've not had issues with either. I have watched a download in progress, but not as successfully. Probably due to my efforts to skip commercials and catching up to real time.

3. adamhochman

adamhochman New Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I have actually have IOS. While the experience should be somewhat the same, just wanted to mention that in the event anyone has iPhone-specific experience.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    This is coming to iOS devices later this year or next.

5. adamhochman

adamhochman New Member

Dec 9, 2013

Advertisements

Thanks. I'm confused as I thought this was already available on iOS (in fact, didn't this come to iOS before it came to Android?)? I was just looking for the difference between the experience on Android and iOS (ie does it work decently on iOS?).

Adam

6. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    iOS has download, not stream. Andriod had stream at first but recently added download. Can't comment on iOS downloads, but OOH downloads for andriod take a long, long time. Not an ideal solution for trying to keep up with the game in progress.

7. adamhochman

adamhochman New Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification.

A few follow up questions (particularly for someone on iOS):
    -Can you watch a show as it's downloading (I don't think it's possible but feel like someone else had mentioned they were doing it)?
    -PSU mentioned above that "This is coming to iOS devices later this year or next." Were you referring to stream?
    -For either stream or download, do you need to be on wifi or can it be done over cellular?

Thanks again.
    Adam

8. bruab

bruab Shmegistered Schmoozer TCF Club

Nov 16, 2001
    DC Metro
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. IOS has Download and Watch Now, which seems like streaming to me. You can't just channel surf though - you have to start a recording, but then you can start watching it immediately.

It even says "Setting Up Your Streaming Session" when you pick Watch Now. :)

Agreed that the downloads take a long time.

9. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    it's technically a download that you are able to watch as enough has buffered to your device

10. bruab

bruab Shmegistered Schmoozer TCF Club

Nov 16, 2001
    DC Metro
    That's a distinction without much difference. The answer to the OP implied he could ONLY download. But I don't even think that's true: https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/stream-and-download-recordings-your-mobile-device

The only difference would be whether you need enough storage space on your device anyway.

11. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes, I was referring to live streaming, similar but not the same as downloading or watching a show as its being recorded.