watching recorded shows on another tv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by danny7481, Jan 10, 2006.

1. danny7481

danny7481 Tivo Addict

Dec 6, 2005
    Mississippi

Advertisements

i have a directivo in my living room and a regular d* receiver in my bedroom, is it possible to watch something recorded off my directivo on my bedroom tv? thanks.

2. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Yes. Unplug DirecTiVo. Move DirecTiVo to bedroom. Plug in. watch.

You might be able to do something with video distribution, or multiple hacked direcTiVos, but nothing will be easy, inexpensive, or elegant.

H

3. danny7481

danny7481 Tivo Addict

Dec 6, 2005
    Mississippi
    i guess the easiest thing to do would be to buy another directivo, but i hate seeing my directv bill keep going up.

4. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    I ran a coax cable from my D*Tivo to another room, and use a Leapfrog I/R transmitter to control the D*. Works just fine. Kind of a pain to run the cable, but if it's something you'll use regularly, it's worth the trouble, and saves the purchase cost and $5/month mirroring fee.

5. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS

Advertisements

Replacing the regular receiver in your bedroom with a DirecTivo will not change your monthly bill at all. Just run an additional cable from your dish or multi-switch so you can enable dual tuners on your new DirecTivo.

-Robert

6. soccergrunt

soccergrunt New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Danny,
    I had the same set up as you and decided I would like to watch DTivo in the bedroom too. I also had the problem of my kids taking over the tivo unit not allowing me to watch.

What I did was replace by regular receiver with another DTivo unit, but placed them both in the living room. Both Units are hooked to my main entertainment center by the composite outputs. I ran the Sat. cables directly to the living room by passing by pre-wired cable in the house. I then hooked up the RF out on the DTivo units to an IR a/b video switch (Radio Shack). Then hooked the switch up to the pre-wired cable going to my living room. This distributes the DTivo signal back to the cable junction then on to all the other cable jacks in the house.

I control the DTivos and the a/b switch via Leapfrog IR Blasters. You will need a remote for each location. (I have Harmonys)

This way I have two other TV's (bedroom & basement) that can access either DTivo unit and the kids have their own DVR.

7. pollyg

pollyg New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    What we did was buy another DirecttvTivo receiver for our bedroom and in fact another for our exercise room. It only cost an additional $5.00 for an additional receiver. With 3 receivers and 3 Tivo's we get 3 different kind of programs recorded in the 3 different locations, comedy in the living room, mystery in the bedroom and reality in the exercise room. We have no kids to fight with, just us two Tivo crazzy people.