Watching content on an R-10 while disconnected from Directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nucat95, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1 of 10
    nucat95

nucat95 New Member

Sep 7, 2006

Advertisements

My family and I will be living in an apartment while our new house is being built. Unfortunately, I am suspending my account with Directv temporarily and will be getting cable (Insite w/ dvr) for the apartment.

On our R-10, we have recorded several hours of Disney, Sprout and Noggin programs for our 18mo daughter and would like to keep the R-10 connected to the TV to view these programs over the few months we are in the apartment. While I believe I know how to connect the unit to the TV [Can easily be done with audio and video cables, right?], I'm not sure what to do with the season passes.

If the R10 is not connected to the satellite, will it still try to record season pass programs when it's powered up? If so, then I'm guessing I should delete all of my season passes. Otherwise, the R10 will try to record "static" over the programs already recorded. Does this sound about right?

I would appreciate confirmation or any other suggestions any of you may have. Any links to more detailed information about using the R10 in this way would be appreciated, also.

Thanks,
    nucat95

2. Sep 7, 2006 #2 of 10
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    It won't try to record anything. It will know that there is no sat signal coming in (and therefore no guide data). You'll be able to watch any recordings on there already. Just keep the access card installed and you shouldn't be bothered with nag messages too much.

3. Sep 7, 2006 #3 of 10
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    No, it won't attempt to record anything without a connection. The best thing to do is disconnect the cable first, then call DirecTV for the suspension. Getting the deactivation signal over the satellite might complicate things otherwise.

4. Sep 7, 2006 #4 of 10
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Right, just use the normal A/V cables.

The only trick is, when it powers up, it will sit at the searching for satellite screen, and not continue. You just need to press the direcTV button on your remote to take it to the menu, then you can go into Now Playing and watch all your previously recorded programming.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #5 of 10
    nucat95

nucat95 New Member

Sep 7, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks SteelersFan, ping and Jonathan_S for the quick responses.

I see your point regarding the missing guide data. However, what about the programs already in the "To do list"? Will the R10 still try to record these, since they are already scheduled? Should I manually cancel them (while keeping the season passes)?

6. Sep 7, 2006 #6 of 10
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    You can manually cancel but I don't think it is necessary. Your choice...

7. Sep 7, 2006 #7 of 10
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    A standalone Tivo will record a whole program's worth of 'nothing' because it just tries to blindly change to a channel and then try to convert and record whatever is coming in via its jacks in the back.

A DTivo works differently - it records the incoming compressed satellite stream - with nothing coming in, it doesn't record anything - well, if it does, it's very, very tiny.

To be safe you could mark all of your programs 'Save Until I Delete' and that would keep any attempted recording from zapping them.

8. Sep 8, 2006 #8 of 10
    marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    That makes the most sense...it's a "just in case" simple thing to do.

-Mike

9. negativo

negativo New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    los angeles
    i'm having problems with this. i had to change from directv
    to cable an now i have a full directv tivo i'd like to watch before
    i do away with it.

it just loops around checking the signal and setting up the dish.
    presssing the directv button doesn't do anything. i want my
    Now Playing page. :)

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

10. nucat95

nucat95 New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Thanks again everybody for all of your help!

Everything is set up and working like it should (except for the fact that I mistakenly packed away most of my AV cables in storage and had to buy new ones.)

Let me officially go on record as saying "I can't wait to get my Directv back!" Insight's DVR is nothing like the Directivo.