Watch VOD (Netflix etc.) with mini without TiVo STB?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Stephen1, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Stephen1

Stephen1 New Member

Nov 9, 2015

Advertisements

Dear All,

I'm writing to ask if the TiVo mini accesses VOD content e.g. YouTube, Netflix via the TiVo STB (e.g. TiVo Roamio). (I'm aware live TV requires the TiVo STB.)

E.g. when watching Netflix, does the Roamio first receive the video and then pass it on to the TiVo mini? Or can you watch VOD content using the TiVo mini without a TiVo STB?

I would be very grateful if anyone could answer my question.

2. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The simplest answer to your question is that a Mini can not function at all without a host DVR. It is an extender that depends on the host for functionality.

If you are asking whether the Mini can connect to OTT services without impacting on the host DVR's operations, then the answer depends on the type of service. For example, in order to access Comcast's Xfinity OD (XOD), the Mini must borrow a tuner from the host and only one of the devices can stream XOD at any one time.

AFAIK, Netflix, VUDU, and other third-party OTT services can be accessed independently and simultaneously from both host and Mini(s). I believe this is the thrust of your question, so the answer AIUI would be that you can stream Netflix from the Mini without impacting on the host in any significant way.

3. Stephen1

Stephen1 New Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I have not used Xfinity OD before - so essentially content is sent to the DVR which then sends it onto the mini? Is it possible to use trickplay functions (e.g. pause or rewind) when viewing this content via the mini?

Do you know of any other OTT services that must go through the DVR before being passed to the mini?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know of any internet streaming service that needs a tuner on the host or uses its buffer. Since the buffer is not used, it would be up to the app to enable any functions, like rewind.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  5. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

I am unsure of the technical details, but I believe XOD establishes the connection via internet but sends the program signal over coax, which is why the Mini needs to borrow a tuner from the host for this service; third-party OTT services (Netflix, YouTube, Yahoo! Screen, Amazon Video, VUDU, et al) obviously do not operate over the MSO's coax and thus can stream independently to the Mini (or to the host DVR with w/o coax connection).

Trickplay is available on XOD depending on the program. The user interface is not quite as functional as it is on live programming or recordings, and it is typically disabled for the broadcast networks, although this might depend on the channel and/or the newness of the particular program episode. I have only used XOD for premium channels such as HBO, and for this it has proven very handy.