Watch video w/o Windows Media Player?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bobdrad, Sep 14, 2007.

1. bobdrad

bobdrad New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    It's frustrating watching Tivo Desktop recordings from WMP - it doesn't allow fast foward or rewind, for instance. Features that make the Tivo so valuable...

Is there any alternative media player that we can use (preferably freeware)? What are the requirements for an alternative player?

Thanks!

2. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    try VLC Media Player

3. bobdrad

bobdrad New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Thanks. But I get no audio or video with VLC when it opens the file. It shows the right length and the counter is running but that's it. The Messages window streams error messages like "libmpeg2 warning: invalid picture encountered".

Have you actually gotten this to work? I don't see anything helpful on the VLC support forums (just other people running into the same issue)...

Appreciate the tips,
    Bob

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Try MediaPlayerClasssic.

5. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    KMPlayer.

6. bobdrad

bobdrad New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Have either MediaPlayerClassic or KM Player been actually used with Tivo Desktop downloads? VLC hasn't. The downloads won't work with many standard media players for some reason...

7. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I'm having issues also...VLC doesnt work for my TD stuff...KM is a new one for me...i'll have to try that...

8. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Yes, I use KMPlayer with actual Tivo recordings I pull over to my PC. One of the skins has a better fast forward system than the default player too - it's called Pure+.

9. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Nope...KM doesnt work for me either...

I dont wanna hijack this thread...i have another thread on my problem

10. bobdrad

bobdrad New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    KM plays the video just fine for me, thanks. I even downloaded the PurePlus skin.
    But even it won't fast-forward. It has a "next" button that doesn't seem to do
    anything. Am I doing something wrong? I can't find a fast-forward function in the playback menu either?

Oh, by the way, I researched MediaPlayerClassic also, but chose KM over it. MPC has two drawbacks - you have to use an old version to work with Tivo, and nobody seems to be actively developing it, unlike KM which seems to be under heavy development.

So what's up with FF? Is there some technological problem that prevents use of FF (like maybe it's decoding/streaming while I'm watching so that I can't FF to the undecoded portion yet)?

11. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Google the following

Direct Show Dump Utility