Watch Tivo from another home

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jeff363, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1 of 28
    jeff363

jeff363 New Member

Feb 18, 2008

Advertisements

Does anyone know how I can watch my TIVO shows that were recorded in my home in Massachusetts from my vacation home in Flordia via my laptop? I have a laptop that can connect to my tv in Florida that will let me watch downloaded shows, however, I would like to link to my TIVO (via internet) to get my recorded shows to watch?

Is this possible with TIVOTOGO? Or is there another software that will do it?

Thanks....

Jeff

2. Nov 7, 2008 #2 of 28
    Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    You can use Slingbox. I use it while traveling and it works pretty good. Quality depends on the internet connection, but is generally good when viewed on a laptop.

You can also set up a VPN to your house and then log in and use TivoToGo as you would to get shows off the Tivo when you are home. This method would reault in better quality, but be more difficult to set up. Not sure about cost as I have not done this.

3. Nov 7, 2008 #3 of 28
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I use a Sony Location Free device with a PSP or my laptop to access my TiVo, the quality is not as good as a Slingbox but its the only thing that will work with a PSP.
    The great thing is if you have TiVo desktop running on your PC at home you can also access all your video and pictures remotely.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #4 of 28
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    slingboxes are an excellent way to do that

5. Nov 7, 2008 #5 of 28
    TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.

Advertisements

HAVA Platinum :)

6. Nov 7, 2008 #6 of 28
    jeff363

jeff363 New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Thank you for the inputs. Just one question - Do I need to have my PC at home (in Mass) on to be able to use Slingbox? I do have a NAS server that is always on and accessible without the PC, but the TIVOTOGO is not on that server (and don't believe it can be added for access).

Thanks........

Jeff

7. Nov 7, 2008 #7 of 28
    phdeez

phdeez New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    You do not need a computer on at your home in Mass to use a slingbox across the internet... just need an active internet connection.

8. Nov 8, 2008 #8 of 28
    mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    As I travel frequently overseas, this sounds interesting to always have something to watch (Netflix Instant View -for example- doesn't allow me to use it while being abroad (instead, to fight boredom, I browse Tivo Community Forums... :p)).

What is unclear to me, in order to use Slingbox, do I need a dedicated Tivo for it (or, before leaving the house, unplug the main one from the TV and subsequently connect it to Slingbox). Or does Tivo allow simultaneously two lines/feeds out (one for the TV (e.g. HDMI), one for Slingbox (e.g. component))?

So, from the remote location -using Slingbox- I can actually operate Tivo? If so, that's nice...

9. Nov 8, 2008 #9 of 28
    Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    Check out slingmedia.com - there are several different Slingboxes to choose from. I have the original Slingbox Classic. I have it ethernet connected to my router and S-Video connected to TiVo. What Slingbox does is allows you to connect to your television and watch what is on it. As part of the set up, you download Slingplayer on any PC/laptop that you want to watch your TV on. The Slingplayer software asks you questions about your set-up, so you tell it that you are using TiVo, select the version of TiVo you are using (and since you are posting to the Series3 forum, you would select Series 3). It then displays your TiVo remote and you select the buttons via mouse that you would use with your fingers if you were at home. I think that TiVo is the coolest invention ever and Slingbox is a close second. They make such a great couple, it is too bad they are not sold together. I have a Treo which I have downloaded the mobile phone version of Slingplayer and watch TV on my phone as well. As soon as it is available on the iPhone, I will most likely switch phones as the screen real estate is larger on the iPhone.
    The only negative is that the folks at home have to watch what you are watching and it can be like arm wrestling if both of you are trying to change channels, pause or etc at the same time.

10. JohnBrowning

JohnBrowning Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Slingbox is a savior to those of us who have to travel to far away places where the native language is different from our own!!! I use a Slingbox AV connected to my TiVo S2 and love it!

11. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    So, based on your responses, I take your SlingBox sits between the Tivo-out and the TV/panel-in (intercepting the AV signal in a way).

I looked at the Pro HD version and it doesn't have HDMI. The Pro version does however. It still beats me if I can have the Tivo S3 connected to my receiver (HDMI) -> TV/panel (HDMI), and have the Tivo connected to Slingbox Pro HD (component) at the same time. I could not get this info from the slingmedia website.

I imagine it works if it was Tivo -> Pro HD (HDMI) -> receiver (HDMI) -> TV/panel (HDMI), or for that matter, Tivo -> Pro HD (component) -> receiver (component) -> TV/panel (HDMI). Obviously, those without receiver send the AV signal straight to TV.

12. horseplay

horseplay New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    My Slingbox Solo is set up this way and everything works perfectly. HDMI from Tivo HD to the receiver (and then to the TV) and component from the Tivo HD to the Slingbox Solo. The output stream of the Tivo can be viewed via the receiver and / or via the Slingbox.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you are going to buy a Slingbox now, I would go with the Pro-HD. You can use component (and it has pass thru). You do not need HDMI (nor should you want it considering the issues with streaming it). The Pro-HD is the only one that can Sling HD quality. Although this requires high bandwidth so it probably will only give you HD quality inside your own home/lan. However, for the best quality, the Pro-HD is the best buy. If you look only you can find some decent deals on it.

14. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    i agree. we actually sell the hava products where i work. pm me if you want more information. dont want to post a url here cause its probably not allowed :)

- Jon

15. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Thanks! All clear now. Slingbox Pro-HD vs Hava Platinum HD; $260 vs ~$100... Difficult, difficult...

16. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I don't know much about the Hava system... but I do beleive you get what you pay for. For the most part that is. Where there is a price difference of $160, It would make me look for the features I am losing.

All I am saying is COMPARE carefully.... Many times I have spent less amount of money only to find out it doesn't do as well as I had hoped or wanted and had to go back and get the more expensive item anyways.

TGC

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just setup a Hava Platinum HD set with one of my TiVoHD boxes. Setup was a breeze and it works exactly as advertised. I was surprised to learn that it has been available for five years.

Well worth the $80 I paid at Woot!.

18. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    slingbox > *

19. jmpivo

jmpivo Felxer

Mar 21, 2005
    Bon Air, VA
    Another happy HAVA Platinum HD user here. Works as expected after a 10 minute setup. I really like the player on my remote PC as it presents me with a clickable image of a Tivo remote. Now I'm doing all things Tivo... remotely. I find the streaming quality equal to viewing a program transfered using Tivo Desktop.

20. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Seriously? You must have a lot of upstream bandwidth at your house.