Watch redorded shows from one Tivo on another?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by getgray, Aug 26, 2011.

1. getgray

getgray New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I am adding a Tivo XL to my home. I have a Series 3 now that I am moving from my home theater to the living room. It has a lot of programs on it I still want to watch in the Home Theater.

I thought I read somewhere that one Tivo could connect to another and play it's files. Is this true? Or specifically, can my Series 3 and XL do it?

If they can how do you set it up?

Thanks!

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You can transfer shows from one Tivo to another. You can start watching the shows before the transfer is complete.

In order to do this, you need to have a home network(essentially a router), and the Tivos must be connected to the router by a wired or wireless connection. All of this must be initiated through your account at Tivo.com. You should then be able to see a list of your subscribed Tivo units, and you will "enable" transfers on them.

Basically, once it is all set up, each networked Tivo shows up on the other Tivo's 'Now Playing List". When you "select" a Tivo on the Now Playing List, you will see the shows listed on that Tivo. You can then "select" a show and "transfer" it to the unit you are currently watching.

So start out by going to tivo.com and set up an account if you have not already done so. Select "TiVo DVR preferences" under the account information options to enable transfers.

Good luck.

ps: Be advised that some shows may not be able to be transferred due to copyright restrictions, but it depends on how your cable company manages them. Some may restrict virtually everything from being transferred, some cable companies may allow virtually anything to be transferred, etc, etc.

3. getgray

getgray New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I'm all set up, long time customer, just adding the new XL unit. You answered my question perfectly. Thanks, I'm good to go.

Much appreciated.