1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch Recordings offline

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Topwatch, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Topwatch

Topwatch New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Roamio OTA DVR. I want to record while at home (and online) and watch those recordings on my smart TV in my RV while camping. The DVR will stay in my RV, pulling from my home internet when at home. Before I buy I want to know I can accomplish this simply.

I have a tablo/roku setup that records but it doesn't work without internet when on the road.

Thanks

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TiVo does not need an internet connection to play recordings. You will see some errors, but they can be ignored.

3. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Member

Feb 18, 2008
    You can also transfer the recordings off of the TiVo to a hard drive or USB stick and play them on your smart TV. This will allow you to continue to record the shows you want while in your RV. With Tivo oline, you can manage the recordings when camping if you have an internet connection or through a smart phone with the TiVo app, just not able to watch the recordings on the TiVo while camping as the Roamio OTA does not stream.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    FYI, Roku does not record, it just streams from the internet straight to your TV.

5. Topwatch

Topwatch New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I am aware. BUT, Tablo must stream to some device, like the Roku. And, Roku Ultra will fail without an internet connection.

6. Topwatch

Topwatch New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Thanks for the info, I have purchased the Tivo. Cheers.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use the Tivo at home to record, and leave it at home.

Get a laptop with HDMI output. You can download shows (non-copy-protected) to the laptop and play to the TV (extended display). There would not be internet (or network) involved, unless you were to transfer/copy shows while at home.

As a bonus, the laptop can be used to access the internet while you are at a remote location (with internet access), or hotspot feature from a cell phone.