Watch out TiVo: Others are innovating!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by solutionsetc, May 12, 2010.

1. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009

Advertisements

Xfinity has not yet come to my area so I have not paid much attention to it. But this caught my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz72XErN8U

While the proof of concept interface seems a little drab, this is way cool!

TiVo could have given us so much more than ads and ordering pizza over the last few years; control over TiVo from networked computers and appliances like the iPhone, cooperative scheduling, DNLA support, etc. But it seems they don't feel they have to as the CableCo boxes have always offered less than the TiVo experience. Looks like those days might soon be over… so I hope TiVo has plans to innovate again… it has been a long, long time.

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    That is the most stupid ideal that Comcast has come out with. I have a remote that can do the same thing . It a waste of money which Tivo does not have. They got enough problem with the premiere to worry about beside a ipad appl. :rolleyes:

3. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You have a remote that allows you to see all the shows currently playing on the remote itself and let's you search and set up a recording with a few "touches"?

Or invite a friend to watch a channel and have the channel change on their TV when they accept?

I don't think you do. It is very innovative. More innovative than a Bluetooth remote.

4. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    No… you don't. And if you think you do you are out of touch. In case you do not understand the concept, this appliance gives you control over the cable box/dvr interface, without having to tie up your tv's screen to do it.

This means you can watch whatever it is that you're watching, and still surf/search the channel guide and schedule recordings (not to mention being able to send a heads up on a show to another user, without having to come here to do it).

5. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...

Advertisements

I can see that on my tv screen just as good as a ipad screen.
    You have be very lazy if you can not press a few extra buttons to search for programs.
    I can use what most people call a telephone the have a friend watch the same show.
    Like i said that the dumbest thing that Comcast wants to do.

6. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    That is hilarious. A $500+ remote + a DVR fee, all for dumb people. Oh, but you can suggest to friends shows to watch. Yeah, like that is what I need. Oh, and if I do want to recommend shows, I can just use an old invention called the phone to call them. Alot quicker, cheaper and I can hear him say, WTF, when they turn to the channel.

Sure it is innovative, but so is a solar powered electric beenie hat. Personally, I prefer something useful. Everyone is trying to come up with the must use feature.. but so far.. it's all useless crap. I just wish they'd concentrate on playing MP3's from network shares, etc.. better.

7. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Sorry some of you don't get it. Think of the days you had a printed TV Guide in your hand. You didn't have to turn off the show you're watching in order to browse for what you wanted to watch next.

And you don't have to run upstairs and turn on your TV to schedule a show to record.

Many times I see a promo for a show I might like to try. Now I have to stop what I am watching, drop into the TiVo interface, and find it to record. Seems kind of 20th century to me.

You may be happy with the modal interface that is TiVo, but that kind of thing went out of style 10 years ago. Can you say "multitasking"?

8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Who going to pay for this useless ideal?

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Seems like a subset of Slingbox type functionality. I've had this capability and a lot more for a long time now using Slingbox.

10. heidismiles

heidismiles New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Uh... what are you talking about? It's a (free?) APP on the iPad.

That's like hearing about a cool new piece of computer software and saying "...*scoff* Hilarious ... who'd pay $1000+ for a computer just to have THAT software?"

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    now instead I would have to stop the game I was playing on my iPad cause my wife was watching some lifetime movie and saw some other lifetime movie she wants to record.

Or else I still have to go to the web sites I use to find new shows with some more detail on what it is about and make the list of possibilities and then go out of the browser app and into this app to set them up. Also do I have ability to do season passes or boolean operator wishlists from that scheduling app or can I just record the show I see and then bug friends about it.

Can Apple say multi-tasking? I for one am not swayed by a 500$ toy as a must have - My laptop can do all that they showed at the same time save for making the show instantly appear on my friends TV - fortunately I have friends smart enough to be able to find the show and change the channel.

12. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Sounds cool and all, but how many of us already own an iPad or plan on getting one? That's where the extra $500 is coming from and not the cost of the app. Is this feature really worth $500?

I'm perfectly happy using my tv to schedule programs or finding out whats on. I already have the tv on anyways when I am doing this. If your fumbling around with an iPad looking at your guide your looking at that screen and not the tv screen. To me that is the same as look at the guide over the channel, but in this case you can still somewhat see the video in the background in case you miss something.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Apple has sold 1 million iPads to date
    to be fair the iPad has an incredibly easy interface to use - you do not fumble around with an iPad. Apple leads in new interfaces and making them easier to use. You do however pay for that 'simplicity' in the form of no multi-tasking and other features that do enter the realm of 'fumbling around'.

If I already had an iPad and Comcast DVRs I would get this app without hesitation and likely have fun using it for about a week. After that its strength at setting up season passes and wishlists is the only thing that would keep me using it.

14. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    No sold.

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Sounds like someone combined:

WMcBrine's "TiVo Remote 0.22" +
    Zap2it.com/TiVo.com +
    an IM client

into one application. I currently have all that on my laptop already. Not combined into one app, but it would take much to do so.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'm at work so it's bad enough I'm posting- can't watch a utube video for sure- Lol.

But if it's just
    1) a way to browse the guide on an ipad- then you can browse tivo's site on a tablet too- and set your box to record. You couldn't change channels in real time- but I think it's been beat to death here that tivo isn't "meant" to be watching live tv. For better of for worse. And if you want to watch the tv and look at the guide- tivo added PIP to the premiere. If one really wants a tablet to do it than they can wait a few months and get an android running knock off of the Ipad for like a third of the cost and browse tivo.com to do it.
    2) a way to suggest shows to friends. - Tivo press shots of the premiere showed such an app. Tivo could easily do that if people want it (and tivo thinks it will sell more boxes I'm sure they will do it)
    3) IM client- tivo's beat there. But maybe they get an IM client for the premiere to go with the keyboard in the bluetooth remote. Or again one could take the knockoff Ipad running android and use google talk on that while browsing the tivo website for the guide.

it's neat that comcast made a single app for that. But it's not earth shattering. Hopefully now that android is outselling iphones in the US comcast will start releasing android versions of these apps. I'd love the visual voicemail app on my android phone that the iphone folks have for their comcast voicemail.

17. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I think the most useful thing about this is the keyboard functionality to search. There's no good reason Tivo hasn't released their own version of the "Tivo Remote" software that doesn't have to use "enter-right-right-right-down-down-down-down-enter-left-up-up-enter-left-down-down-enter-right-right-up-enter" to input a couple of letters. Actually the only "good" reason is that they want to force Tivo customers to shell out another $50-$100 for the new remote.

18. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Except for the channel tuning thing from the guide, I can do this now using my iPod Touch. However, there is a delay from the time you request a show to record until it is actually scheduled. This device appears to be real time, but like others I think the 500.00 premium for the iPad is a bit much.

19. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    The point here is that this is a step forward for an entity not normally known for steps forward. And what's funny is that TiVo has already had the hard part of this in the can for quite some time… the network based R/C protocols, but like so much that is TiVo, it is only half finished (and only Crestron and a couple of indie iPhone developers have taken advantage of it).

But regardless of whether or not you think this is cool, if and when this rolls out there will be 100 million iPhone, iPod, iPad users (of which the overwhelming majority are prime prospects for TiVo like products and services) that will see this advertised on every channel where Comcast has market presence and think "cool, I want my DVR to do that!" After all, this is Sling's total existence. But in this case, it is a single box with no cash outlay, and is delivered and set up with a single phone call.

As TiVo users, the fact that you don't see this as being huge is… well… stunning! I guess it is a chicken and the egg type of thing. What came first, TiVo's complacency or yours?

The YouTube post was just a first look, and Comcast could muck it up or actually hit a home run here. But TiVo's inability to introduce any 'wow factor' technology in recent years has hurt them big time, and others seem to be stepping up to the plate.

Enough said… I don't want to continue to argue the nuts and bolts of this. I just found it surprising that this came out of Comcast. And while I have always considered them a necessary evil in my neck of the woods, I welcome their effort here. We need a lot more of this, especially from major players that have been seemingly ok with providing purely vanilla solutions in the past.

20. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I agree that innovation is good and junk, but TiVo has some serious repairs to make with regard to features that no longer work due to DRM issues, while these other companies are ignoring these issues by offering features that would not be affected by them. So while TiVo backtracks to restore functionality (I hope) it may appear that other companies are innovating. As for this comcrap thing, I'd like to see it work with a PC, or netbook.