Watch out, Tivo: FiOS Media Server

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bmgoodman, Dec 23, 2011.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
  2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Coming around the end of 2012. I can get a 4 tuner TiVo right now. 12 months is a long ways off. And they only plan to use a 1TB hard drive for six tuners.
    2TB isn't even enough for the four tuner Elite. 1TB will be nowhere near enough storage capacity for a six tuner box. 2TB should be the bare minimum for that many tuners.

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I can't even imagine what Verizon would charge for it.

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I think the current DVRs are about $15 with the current whole home functionality pushing it towards $20. I'd say they' drop the $20 model and slide this one in and/or price it at $25? What's RCN charging for the Premiere Elite/Q? And in theory, you'd save money on not needing more DVRs in the house and just have the small extenders. Assuming you hang a drive off the Media Server if it lands with only 1TB. (They told me at least 500MB, but looking like 1TB at this point.)

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    For people that actually watch and not hoard video, it's plenty enough.

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    RCN charges $29.95 which gets you the Q and a Preview and additional Previews are $9.95. The regular Premiere is $15 for the first and $13 for the second according to the dslreports forums.

Yeah FiOS charges $15 for the basic DVR or $20 for the DVR+Whole Home functionality. They also charge $9.95 per HD STB.

I just don't see them dropping the $20 since it is $5 for turning a feature on and not every home will want the 5 tuners. I could see them charging $30 for the Media Server or possibly $35 for a bundle of one Media Server and one extender. If the extenders don't have tuners I could see those going for $5.95-$7.95 a piece.

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Depends on how many people and how many shows you record and if you have kids since you then tend to save shows they watch over and over.

Also unless your family/household sits down and watches every show together you are always going to have shows at least one person who wants to watch that they haven't seen. This eats away at your space very quickly.

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah, but 2TB is a HUGE amount of HD storage no matter how many tuners you have. What is that, 300+ hours? And it's not enough, knowing that you can offload to a PC if you need more?

Jeez, some folks here just like to archive everything. To each his own I guess, but I don't see how you can watch all this stuff.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hey, we're gettin' to it, okay?:eek:

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    300 hours divided by however many people since not everyone watches the same thing.

Some of us also like to watch in marathons rather than single episodes.

For example I just finished watching season one of Justified. FX is rerunning it from the start before the new season starts up so I waited until it recorded all 13 episodes before starting. I usually wait till I have 4 or so episodes of a show before I start watching if it is a current show.

Having SD DirecTiVos with 500 hours a piece will spoil you and more than makes up for not having on-demand.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't really hoard but I have way more than 2TB of video in my house. I pretty much delete everything once I am sure everyone in the house has watched it who wants to watch it. It's a bit of a chore really.

12. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Verizon has a history of planning and not implementing. The word "eventually" could mean "never" in the Verizon dictionary and would most definently mean "when and if they get around to it"; An example is FiOS 1.9 software update which started roughly a year ago and is still not fully deployed.
    It all sounds nice but believe it when you see it from Verizon.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I certainly don't watch everything I record, but I also like to have a variety of options when I sit down to watch TV.
    2TB is alot for SD, but when you have families that mainly watch HD and with five or six members, 2TB will be used very quickly unless everyone in the family watches all the same content, which I've never seen.

14. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  15. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I do watch everything I record and then some. I learned a long time ago that keeping a huge library of shows on a Tivo drive or HTPC is an invitation to disaster. I've lost entire seasons of shows due to hard drive failures. I've gotten to where I don't record more than I can watch in a single week, and I watch a lot of TV. If I find that I don't have time to watch everything I'll start cutting out season passes. Most of the time I find that I don't miss the shows I've cut from my schedule.

My only rationale for having a lot of recording capacity is because I travel on business, sometimes for weeks at a time. I never watch any of my regular shows while I'm traveling because hotel TVs are usually old 25" 4:3 CRTs in standard definition (i.e., they're crap). I may have two or three weeks' worth of shows backlogged when I return home. I actually look forward to a period when shows go into reruns because it gives me a chance to get caught up. I'll never run out of things to watch because I've got a 20+ TB unRAID server that's about 80% full of ripped Blu-Ray movies and DVDs and other miscellaneous torrent downloads of TV shows.

I can definitely understand why people with small kids would keep a lot of shows. My kids are all grown up and I just became a grandfather a couple of months ago so my kids were never really exposed to Tivos all that much. However, when they were both young they'd play the crap out of every Disney movie I had on VHS as well as a few other favorites. Keeping a library of kid's shows on a Tivo is a great idea because it's something they can easily grasp and understand how to use. One huge caveat is that if the drive dies the whining will be endless. I'd keep a backup of whatever shows they watch on a regular basis so you can restore them if a Tivo catastrophe occurs.

16. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Shows you watch over and over you buy on a DVD. The TiVo is NOT a storage device.

17. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Keep in mind also the lawsuit Verizon brought against TiVo. Which everyone thinks Verizon, AT&T and Mirocrap are going to lose. In which case they will end paying TiVo load of money and licensing TiVo’s Technology.

18. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Only if they are offered on DVD.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    DVD? No DVDs here, only BDs. And then I don't watch from the actual BD, only from one of my servers over the network.

Storing the content in an array that can handle a drive failure is a godsend. Although personally in the last 15 years, and over 150 hard drives I've used at home, I've never had a hard drive die on me while in use. (any data I've lost has been user error, like in 2002/2003 when I had 3TB of storage for my OTA HD recordings and I ran a defrag on one of my drives by accident. It messed up a bunch of my HD movie recordings I had back then)

My TiVo Desktop stores my content in a 6TB RAID 5 array. Then I have thirty two TB of storage in an unRAId and fifty six TB of storage in my WHS for my HD content from my HD DVDs and BDs(as well as music, backups, etc). If a drive dies I will not lose any data.

20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You're going to have a hard time convincing a lot of Tivo owners that this is true. I'm always amazed when people declare that they have hundreds of hours of programs stored on their Tivo with little or no intent to purge them. One hard drive failure should nip that habit right in the bud.

I'm also no longer a fan of keeping a library of movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-Ray disks. They just take up space and get damaged from mishandling (my family doesn't believe in using protective sleeves or jewel cases for storing optical discs. :() That's why I built an unRAID server with over 20TB of storage so I can stream all of my archived content to any TV in the house that's connected to a PC. It's convenient for everyone and there's no risk of damaging the hard copies. The server uses a parity drive so I can easily restore lost data if a single drive dies.

Ditto for me.

We are of the same mindset when it comes to storing content. I have had more than my share of drive failures over the years. I just had the 2TB parity drive in my server die about a month ago. Fortunately, it was still under warranty so I was able to get it replaced rather quickly.