Watch out if you loose your Directv with Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by guildjw, Sep 11, 2007.

1. guildjw

guildjw New Member

Sep 11, 2007

Advertisements

Might be posted here, my R10 Directv with Tivo service died and of course DTV sent me their non tivo replacement r15 as they are no longer sending anyone a Tivo reciever as a replacement or for sale. I love my Tivo service and not hate what I have with DTV, I will find another reciever on Ebay or buy a real Tivo unit.

Yuk, I could not believe it their R15 unit was so basic (and slow) it could not handle setting up a same series recording on more then one channel. So you if you want to say record Mash or Scrubs or any series being aired on more then one channel, forget it.

They recommened using a manual recording to record it, daaaa, if its aired three times a day not contigous you'd need 3 seperate manual recodings for that one channel alone.

Software design 101...they missed it I guess. Back to TIVO for me.

Beware guys, Directv's own replacment for Tivo is NOT a step up from Tivo...it's a big big step backwards....

John

2. Jason C

Jason C New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    lost directv service capability from move. stuck with hd tivo dvr hr250-10. as is about 1000 others i saw online. went to comcast. used their dino dog dvr for a month. then spent a small fortune on the tivo series 3 dvr for cable. with multi stream cable cards. works great. have to pay for tivo and comcast individually. had to have comcast out here five times to get the right tech to hound the people at the office to finally authorize the card. yikes.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Most of the regulars here never deal w/Directv - we just fix our own DTivo boxes. Nothing that a new hard drive won't fix 99% of the time.

4. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    Guildjw, if you have just recently gotten the R-15 you may want to see if you can send it back and cancel your 1- or 2-year contract w/ DTV. I am sure they gave you one when they sent you the R-15. You can get a TiVo from ebay, weaknees or many other online venders. As Dkerr said, most problems can be repaired by the owner. It is important that everybody who gets a R-15 and that does not like it, sends it back. This is the only way for DTV to know they will not entice as many new customers with this unit. This may grease the rails when it comes time to decide if they want to start offering a TiVo power unit again.

mark

5. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004

Advertisements

Well, keep the power supply in mind as well.

I've never had a disk issue on my DirecTivos (x2), but I have had power supply issues. Weaknees sells replacements!

6. Klez

Klez I am not a virus

Mar 26, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I heard on the radio Saturday that Direct TV is going back to Tivo based units. Today I got a flyer in the mail from Direct TV with Tivo logos on it. Has anyone else heard this?

Sorry, I haven't been around for a while, so this may be old news.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Not actually "going back to" Tivos. But they will be updating the Tivo software to provide some nice new features early next year.

8. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    New features are a far cry from a new box.....

9. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    And 'new features' that don't hold a candle to features we've already enabled thanks to the zipper :)

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Hell, first people complain about Directv and Tivo ending their partnership, then complain when Directv no longer send out Directv/Tivo units, and now they complain about the New Software release compairing it to the "Zipper".

Directv should just let the Directv/Tivo's die, offer no support at all for them, and forget all about the Software Release.... then people would have something to moan about.

11. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    wow, now that was a waste of bandwidth.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I think most people that care about TiVo have moved on at this point.

I have about 6 DirecTiVo boxes. I'm just trying to decide if I should sell them with stock 40/80gb drives or upgraded to 120/160/250 drives on eBay...

13. rogrrr

rogrrr New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    San Jacinto, CA
    What do you mean "moved on", Arcady? My R10 died and I want it back, dagnabit! I don't wanna move on! :mad: And I've just discovered that Tivo wants a commitment
    now. Sheeesh! What, do they want a ring, too? Do I have to get on one knee?

So...where can I get one of these "blessed" hard drives? Speak slowly, now, I'm not a geek. Seriously.