Watch other videos on Tivo serviced from PC. Possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jym, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jym

jym New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    I have a new series 2 tivo that is not hacked besides adding a bigger drive. I have Tivo2Go which is really cool. My Tivo now has several folders each with one of my computer names.

Is it possible to rip a DVD to hard drive on my PC and then watch the DVD files on the Tivo? Can the Tivo support any formats besdies its own? Which format can it support?

Thanks for any help

-Jym-

2. jym

jym New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Ok, did a little more searching on the forum and found the answer. Yes. Need Videora to convert to a format compatible with Tivo.

Now I need to standardize on software because use a different application that I purchased for converting Ipod videos. Looks like Videora also does this. WIll be giving it a try.

-Jym-

3. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Videora works great.

I have been using it for about a month now with no complaints.

4. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Videora is an awesome program. I have used that and AVS video converter to convert files to the proper Mpeg format for Tivo.

The only format I have found that Videora does not convert is Mpeg 4's, but thats what I use AVS for.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Here's some information on what video formats/resolutions are compatible with the TiVo (i.e., they can be transferred back to the DVR through TiVoDesktop):

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv251080.htm?

As for your DVD question, once I've ripped the DVD to my PC, I use VideoRedo to merge the VOBs into a single file and then save it as an MPEG.

6. rjmitche

rjmitche Member

Dec 30, 2004