Watch other channels during recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jratzlaf, Sep 5, 2007.

1. jratzlaf

jratzlaf New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Just installed our first TiVo, a new Series 2 80 hour unit. Very happy with it. Except--it's pretty surprising that you cannot surf other channels while a program is recording. The remote should have a button similar to what VCR's have: something like "TV/VCR", to switch off the TiVo effects on the cable stream and allow the TV to get all the channels. Now if my TV had a video input, I wouldn't be asking this question, as the TiVo would then be going into the video input and I could just change the channel on the TV to watch other channels while the TiVo is recording. But with the TiVo signal going into channel 3 on the TV, there doesn't appear to be any way to switch the TiVo signal "off" as you could certainly do on any cheap VCR. Am I missing something--or is there a hack or a workaround so that we can watch other live TV while the TiVo is recording a program? Thanks - and I apologize in advance if this is such a common newbie question that everybody rolls their eyes when they read it... - JR

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Put the TiVo into standby. This allows the cable signal to pass through to the TV, where you can use the TV remote to change channels. This only works if you aren't using a cable box.

3. jratzlaf

jratzlaf New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Whoa - are you saying it will continue recording while in standby? I wouldn't have guessed that... - JR

4. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Standby mode doesn't actually turn the TiVo off or even significantly reduce power consumption--it just allows pass-through off the coaxial input. TiVo will continue to record while in standby mode.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Wow, this is cool to know...

6. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Yes, "Standby" is misleading to many people. "Bypass" might be more accurate terminology.

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    "TV/TIVO" would be most appropriate, in line with the OP's desire to have a TV/VCR button. Standby Mode is that TV/VCR button.

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Is there a standby button on the remote? Any hack or way to program one?

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    like this :rolleyes: ?

We only do it because

wait for it

wait for it

"It's in the manual"