Watch "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (and others) for free

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    videobruce and Hank like this.
  2. jebbbz

jebbbz Member

Sep 7, 2007
    35th and...
    Regarding Dr. Strangelove (a movie I watched in the theater almost a dozen times), a couple of days ago I came across some videos on YouTube about how it was made. I recommend them. Search for:

Inside the Making of 'Dr. Strangelove'

From the few I have watched so far, Sellers made up many of his lines and behaviors while the scenes were being filmed.

gweempose and Mikeguy like this.
  3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Dr. Strangelove is one of the funniest movies ever made. It's easily Peter Sellers' best performance. George C. Scott was fantastic as well ... "Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!" :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Sellers was originally going to play the part of the pilot but was changed to Sam Pickens due to a leg injury.

I have the Blu Ray, and there’s a lot of good extras on the disc.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  5. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Funny this was just on SonyHD on DirecTV. I recorded it cince I hadn't seen it in ages.

6. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    That would be Slim Pickens.

I was watching an old Top Gear the other day when Jeremy Clarkson, who should know better, said a supercar 'You know in Dr Strangelove, when Peter Sellers is riding with that atom bomb between his legs? It feels like that!'. :eek:

7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    upload_2020-4-11_12-44-42.jpeg

brianric and Mikeguy like this.
  8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I love anything by Stanley Kubrick. There was a movie called Fail Safe with Henry Fonda that came out around the same time and dealt with the serious side of the Cold War. Dr. Strangelove was basically a parody of that movie.

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    “Stanley Kubrick, who adapted Peter George's novel Red Alert, insisted that the studio release his movie first (in January 1964).[4] Fail Safe so closely resembled Red Alert that Kubrick and George filed a copyright infringement lawsuit.[5] The case was settled out of court.[6]”. “When Fail Safe opened, it garnered excellent reviews, but its box office performance was poor. Its failure rested with the similarity between it and the nuclear war satire Dr. Strangelove, which appeared in theaters first. Still, the film later was applauded as a Cold War thriller.”

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
  11. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Fail Safe was gut wrenching when I saw it at age 8. It was one of the first movies I can remember where good guys die and there is no happy ending.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Boy, I loved that movie--need to see it again (I haven't watched it in decades).

13. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    My favorite is.. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

My tech company in the early 2000's had a War Room for emergency support. I giggled a little whenever I had to go in there.

gweempose likes this.
  14. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    I was introduced to Strangelove back in the mid 80s, had to write on it for a Film Analysis course. Since then, it's always been a part of my library.

Every time Pickens whips that Cowboy Hat out of the safe and "toe to toe nuclear combat" - it's like coming home from a long day.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Coincidentally, in perusing my TiVo Guide on Saturday, I saw that Fail Safe was showing on PBS that evening--I now have it recorded to watch. :)

gweempose and heySkippy like this.
  16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Just finished watching Fail Safe. Chilling, and I am partly numb. I need to go out in the sun, for a walk.

heySkippy likes this.
  17. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Hands down Larry Hagman's shining moment.

18. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It wasn't "I Dream of Jeannie"? ;)

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The scenes with Henry Fonda and Larry Hagman--wow, story-wise, and wow, acting-wise.

Boy, did that film hit me hard yesterday. :up:

20. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    TCM's Robert Osborne called Fail-Safe a horror movie more than a cold-war thriller, and he's absolutely right. It's not as if apocalypse fiction is a new thing- but watching these movies is as hard as watching Schindler's List or 12 Years a Slave.

More difficult watches about Nuclear War:
    Testament
    The Day After
    Special Bulletin
    When the Wind Blows (animated)
    By Dawn's Early Light (HBO production w/similarities to Fail-Safe)
    Fail-Safe (2000 remake with Richard Dreyfuss as the president)