Watch a show from the beginning while it's still recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cake, Aug 16, 2020.

1. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020

Advertisements

When recording a show, how can I start watching it from the beginning while TiVo finishes recording?
    I'm referring to mainly sports. I don't want to see who is winning/losing so I've been waiting until recording is finished before I start fooling around with the settings.
    I've read about a skip 30 seconds button which I don't have, at least I don't think I do.

I've had comcast for years & know how that works, but fairly new to TiVo. Thanks for any help.

Noelmel likes this.
  2. Noelmel

Noelmel Active Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    You can go to the recording and just hit play then you’ll be able to ff commercials. Or what I do is go to the channel it’s recording on and just rew to the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The same way you go to watch a recorded show, works even while it is still recording.

The ->| key on the remote is multi-function, it all depends on what/how its programmed/used. While you REW/FF a show, press ->| and it will skip to the tick mark on the timeline. Depending on a setting in the Remote menu, it will either skip to beginning/end, OR it will be a 30 second scan. Then, there is a 30 second skip (different from the 30 second scan, where you view what its skipping)

Noelmel likes this.
  4. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    thanks for the reply.
    I know about this but with sports it won't work because I can then see the score on what's going on. I'm not looking at it intentionally, but it's there. I was hoping there was a button to click that would take me back to the beginning without having to rewind.
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

Noelmel likes this.
  5. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014

Advertisements

when you play it from your list of shows, it starts from the beginning of the recording so there will be no spoilers

hit TiVo button before turning on the tv so that you aren’t on live tv.

if your video settings have either the video window or video background active, then hit the TiVo button and then the slow button (|>) before turning on the tv. the slow button will temporarily turn off the video window or background.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Noelmel likes this.
  6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yep. When you start a show from the Now Playing list it should always start at the beginning (or wherever you left it; if it's partially watched), even if it's still recording.

You might want to press the Tivo button on the remote before turning the TV on though.
    There's a risk that the tuner recording the game will be the one showing on live tv; and you'd see the score you were trying to avoid. By pressing the Tivo button before turning the TV the Tivo will already be in its menu before the TV's on so you won't risk seeing the game being recorded.

Noelmel and Teeps like this.
  7. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Well stated; nothing more to see here.

8. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Thanks for your reply.
    I just tried this.
    What I did was exactly what you said.. I pressed the TiVo button before I turned on the TV.

It did go to 'My Shows'.. however.. in the box on the top right corner of the TV, the sports channel that I was recording was playing.. so pressing the watch now button took me to where the game was ALREADY playing from when I turned on the TV... not from the beginning of the game.

So I guess I need to make sure before I turn off the TV for the day, to not have it on a channel that will be recording my game. otherwise what I'm trying to accomplish won't work.

This whole situation seems dumb. I don't see why this can't be like other devices such as Netflix for instance.
    You have the option of "Resume" or "Start from the beginning".
    TiVo doesn't have this.

If your tv turns on to the channel you are recording, you are out of luck watching it from the beginning UNLESS you rewind it- and with sports this can suck because you will unavoidably see what has happened.

9. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Not true.. see my post

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Oh, I forgot about that preview screen because it's been turned off on my Tivo for years. (IIRC the slow-mo button will toggle it; but you should also be able to do so from somewhere in the settings menus). Still don't know why trying to play the recording would jump back to live TV; but there may be something weird about the preview window that modifies the behavior.

I know TiVo has "resume playing" or "from beginning" from My Shows (forgot they changed the name to that from Now Playing) for recordings that you've partially watched. Oh, wait realized another possible difference, I'm still on the older Tivo user interface. If you're running TE4 that may also have changes some things.

Noelmel likes this.
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With TE3 and TE4 you can kill the video window permanently in video options. Same for the Slow button, which survives a Restart.

Noelmel likes this.
  12. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Again- thank you for helping me out here.
    I'm new to TiVo. Have had comcast for years.
    Settings are quite different.
    I'm in a new state/city where only TiVo is available for recordings. Have had this since November 26, 2019
    I will go into my menu settings and see if I can turn off the preview box that opens up when I'm in the 'Guide' or 'My Shows'
    And no, I don't see anywhere a 'watch from beginning'.

How do I see if I have te3 or 4?

13. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Press Play, not Watch Now. Watch Now takes you to the show on live TV.

Noelmel likes this.
  14. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Ok.. thank you DVR_Dave
    Stay tuned!

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have TE4. See thread: Hello- new to Tivo. "still watching?"

On TE4 it's under Menu - Settings - User Preferences - Video Window & Background. Set to "NO".

16. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Thank you.. you've all been very helpful!
    I so appreciate it :)

17. cake

cake New Member

Feb 3, 2020
    It's working! Made sure the sports channel (Roots sports) isn't on when I turn on the TV

Now we won't see how soon the Seattle Mariners don't score ;)

Thanks again for all who replied.