watch 20/20 this Friday it looks good

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by lee espinoza, Jan 12, 2006.

1. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX

Advertisements

it is about:

Stupid in America: How We Are Cheating Our Kids: Comparing U.S. students to those in other countries.

2. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    We absolutely don't need 20/20 for proof of that!

3. tetspa

tetspa New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I just have a wishlist for "John Stossel" - it get's 20/20 + any specials he does + talk shows, etc. He's always a watch.

4. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    I think of him more as a cuckoo clock. :p

5. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004

Advertisements

I don't know if this is just California or not, but in order to graduate from high school you need to pass a test that measures your proficiency in 8th grade Math and English.

So tell me, if they only want to ensure you're proficient up to 8th grade, why the hell bother with 9 through 12?

:confused:

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    For college. 8-grade proficiency is to at least make sure you can function for Walmart or a kiosk job at the mall. 9-12 is for those wishing better for themselves.

7. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Jan 1, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    Must see TV tonight on ABC News 20/20 10:00 PM tonight!

Video Promo

'Stupid in America'
    John Stossel Looks at How U.S. Public Schools Are Failing Kids
    Jan. 9, 2006 — - American students fizzle in international comparisons, placing 18th in reading, 22nd in science and 28th in math -- behind countries like Poland, Australia and Korea. But why? Are American kids less intelligent? John Stossel looks at the ways the U.S. public education system cheats students out of a quality education in "Stupid in America: How We Cheat Our Kids," airing this Friday at 10 p.m.

"We're not stupid. ... But we could do better," one high school student tells Stossel. Another says, "I think it has to be something with the school, 'cause I don't think we're stupider."

That's the question Stossel examines in his special report: What is it that's going wrong in public schools? There are many factors that contribute to failure in school. A major factor, Stossel finds, is the government's monopoly over the school system. Parents don't get to choose where to send their children. In other countries, choice brings competition, and competition improves performance.

Stossel questions government officials, union leaders, parents and students and learns some surprising things about what's happening in U.S. schools. He also examines how the educational system can be improved upon and reports on innovative programs across the country.

"Stupid In America: How We Cheat Our Kids" with John Stossel airs Jan. 13, at 10 p.m.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures

8. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    The worst thing is the large number of people who aren't even at THAT level! :(

9. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    That's not tonight, is it?

10. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I don't want to get too political, but what is the problem here?

America depends on a large, "stupid" majority, in order to keep bottom fifth wages extremely low ("hey, I'm stupid, I don't deserve better"), so the rest can have a decent standard.

To look at something like this and think it's some kind of isolated problem that isn't related to how the American class system works is idiotic and counter productive. When you make comparisons with other countries, you have to look at their economic and political systems as a whole in order to make it meaningful.

I'll still try and watch the report, but to say this is a problem with education is missing the point.

11. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    So you can get laid after the prom.

12. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    The flaw in this system, however, is that our government then feels sorry for the low earners, and mandates that they be given all sorts of goodies, including subsidized housing, food, and health care.

Those low earners, then, get a quality of life that's on par with the middle class, which means that the middle class person is really working his or her butt off for nothing, at least theoretically.

The only saving grace for the genuine middle class person is that they actually have the ability to rise higher, whereas the subsidized middle class will remain there forever since they've simply been given everything for minimum effort. They don't have the skills or the need to rise out of it.

13. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    Then the middle-class person will realize what a sucker he is and start slacking off and receiving the goodies himself. Especially if he thinks he's about as high as he's likely to get anyway.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Unless you can run with a football or shoot a basketball, then if you can identify a book, you can go to college :)

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Of course the vast majority of those subsidesed live no where NEAR anything at a middle class level. There are always those who cheat the government to get more than they deserve..and that takes place both on the low earner AND the high earner side.

OK, now that I got my two cents in, you can lock the thread for all of us going off on a politcal tangent :)

16. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    IMO, that depends on your definition of "middle-class". If you're thinking suburbanite with a large house, car, wife, and 2.5 kids, you're right. If you're thinking blue-collar worker in a cheap apartment in the bad part of town, there's not that big a gap between him and the subsidized goof-offs, except he doesn't get any help from anyone.

Edit: oh, were we supposed to be talking about a TV show? ;)

17. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Hehe yeah I'm not even gonna reply, sorry for bringing it up. Let's all agree that schools should be better. ;)

18. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I wonder if this is the episode my friend is in. He's an Administor for a school district that doesn't take out of district transfers and investigates whether or not kids actually live where he they say they do.

19. Gene S

Gene S Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Belleville, IL
    It might be. John Stossel was on The View the other day to promote this special and talked about one possible solution is to let the parents decide which school to send their kids to. Each child is given a "voucher" and the school he/she goes to will get the money. This way the schools have an monetary incentive to be better than others.
    He made an analogy of the current system to be forced to do your grocery shopping based on where you live. I can understand, I would be be ticked off if I was forced to go to the closest grocery store to me.

20. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

Well I must be real stupid, I didn't!! :eek: