Warrior Nun - Netflix - spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Jul 5, 2020 #1 of 48
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I just started episode 7 out of 10. It's very interesting so far. I like it but... it's an origin story and most superhero origin stories have much more story and much less butt kicking than I want but taking it on its own merits, I like it a lot so far.

2. Jul 5, 2020 #2 of 48
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Same thoughts, same place -- 3 more episodes to finish.

I will say that Episode 6 was very good as it was more a character study episode and explored the relationship between Ava and Mary.

Looking forward to the last 3.

3. Jul 5, 2020 #3 of 48
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I enjoyed the show, in a fun mindless summer romp kind of way. Except for the ending, which really pissed me off.

I mean, a cliffhanger is one thing. But
    starting the climactic battle and then cutting to black? That really sucks.

Beryl and jakerock like this.
  4. Jul 5, 2020 #4 of 48
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm half-way through and thinking of bailing. It started out pretty good then it became another series.

5. Jul 5, 2020 #5 of 48
    Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

Cool. Looks like good clean teen fun. The trailer on YouTube ends with screens saying F***s Given?" and then "Nun." (without the asterisks). I wasn't laughing until that point.

I guess Cursed is the flip side: the legend of King Arthur, from the perspective of the (teen) Lady of the Lake and her fellow magic pagans. YouTube recommended that trailer to me next.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  6. Jul 5, 2020 #6 of 48
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm a little nervous about that, though...it comes from the mind of legendary comic book artist Frank Miller, who in recent decades has been...something of a nutjob. He has a writer he's working with on the project, but I've never seen or read anything he's done.

7. Jul 5, 2020 #7 of 48
    Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Did not know that. Lots of graphic novels making it to the screen, huh? The next Netflix trailer it queued up was The Old Guard. Looks like fun. I'm mean hey, it's got Charleze Atomic Brunette, playing a Highlander or something.

Anyway, back on topic, looks like Warrior Nun is worth at least one episode of my time.

8. Jul 5, 2020 #8 of 48
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not a graphic novel...it was an illustrated novel (written by some guy named Thomas Wheeler with illustrations by Miller; I'm not sure who came up with the story).

Old Guard is definitely a comic, though, and a very good one (although I'm not sure how a two-hour movie could possibly do it justice). Written by the guy who wrote the comic the TV show Stumptown is based on, although that show is not a very good representation of the comic.

9. Jul 5, 2020 #9 of 48
    Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Within the limits of network television Stumptown's not bad tho, and we've enjoyed it. Also not bad: that this guy's work attracts casting like Charleze and Colbie. Not bad at all.

tim1724 likes this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, for what it is, it's fine. It took me a while to get over it not being the comic, which is SO much better...

Now if only Rucka's Queen & Country would finally make it to the screen! Talk about a made-for-television comic book... (Ridley Scott was going to make a movie at one point, but I really, REALLY think it would be better off as a series.)

Hercules67 and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Watched the first episode tonight. Thought it was pretty good; better than I was expecting actually. The effects weren't bad, and the actress who plays Ava is actually quite good--sort of surprisingly good for this type of show I thought.

Although, the voice-overs are absolutely terrible. It's truly hard to believe the same actress is doing them. Hopefully they will stop those in future episodes.

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I hope season two will be like a buddy movie featuring the further adventures of Ava and Shotgun Mary. They make a good, fun team. Sister Beatrice can tag along too.

13. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007

Go for sister Beatrice!

And Simone?

Many questions left unanswered... and I'm with Rob on how it ended, but still, at least a 3 stars out of 5. Most newer network TV rarely gets a 3 from me anymore.

14. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
  15. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Marc likes this.
  16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not sure if he's a fallen angel, or just a demon pretending to be an angel...

Either way, he originally brought the "halo" with him from Hell, so either it's a fallen angel's halo or...something else.

17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Well, he brought it from "Somewhere Else" do we know that it is Hell specifically? I'm not totally convinced those monster things are 'bad guys' especially given that their corpses get melted down for divinium.

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The scientist lady was able to poke her hand through a portal to some unknown place but she just knew, with absolutely no evidence, that there was no sickness or other bad things there. I know this is science fiction but I still had to let out a "Huh?" when she said that. Apparently, she doesn't watch much science fiction. There's almost always something bad behind a space/time/alternate dimension portal.

19. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    The last episode reveals how she's been learning about that place.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Finished the last two episodes last night. Based on recent history with other Netflix series I was totally prepared for a bummer of a cliffhanger, and got it :(

Definitely in for S2.

I think it's pretty clear: Adreal is someone (thing?) who is able to use the dimensional portals, he got into whatever dimension the "demons" live in, and he stole the halo from them, then ran away to Earth where he put it into Ariala. He is in no way an angel. The only odd thing is that he seems to control the wraith daemons; those must be something different than the Tarasks.

Unfortunately for me I guessed the "twist" with the cardinal vs. Victor about 4 episodes in. The only thing that really annoys me about this season is that Shannon doesn't actually explain her theory in her journal entries... I mean, its your journal you're leaving for posterity and it's physically impossible for anyone other than your successor to read it so... why so coy? Argh.