Warrior (Cinemax) - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Apr 5, 2019 #1 of 19
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Warrior is a new Cinemax original series. From wiki: Warrior is a television series created by Jonathan Tropper and Justin Lin that premiered on April 5, 2019, on Cinemax. It is based on an original concept by Bruce Lee. Set at the times of the Tong Wars in the late 1800s in San Francisco, California. The series follows Ah Sahm, a martial arts prodigy from China who immigrates to San Francisco and ends up becoming a hatchet man for the most powerful tong in Chinatown.

Pretty good start. Reminiscent of Banshee (which Tropper was co-creator of), or even Spartacus. Good story, interesting characters. Lots of room for the plot to breathe.

I read where Bruce Lee developed this concept in the early 70s. Pitched to a couple of studios, who turned him down. One of those studios then turned around and created Kung Fu, giving Lee no credit. (Aside: I loved me some King Fu in the day. Never missed an episode.)

Between our protagonist, the mayor, the dirty-ish cop, the madam, the Tong wars, the anti-Chinese faction, old Civil War feuds and more, there's plenty of story to tell.

So far, so good. Anyone else catch this?

2. Apr 5, 2019 #2 of 19
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Also, Hoon Lee is in this. "Job" from Banshee.

3. Apr 7, 2019 #3 of 19
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was looking forward to this and was not disappointed. I'm hoping Strike Back's spring/summer replacement continues to impress.

I never thought of the murder-y origins of the term 'hatchet man' before this show.

4. Apr 7, 2019 #4 of 19
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Heh...really? How could it NOT be a murder-y term? It originally referred to lumberjacks having hatchet-throwing contests? ;)

5. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I really like this show. It gets almost no love here but it's one of my 2019 new show favorites. It's really good. It's interesting how each side of the Chinese, Irish and "Americans" sees themselves as being more evolved and the others as barbaric when they're all pretty much all uncivilized to our modern way of thinking.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree. Still watching, still enjoy it. The Ducks and the Onions.

7. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    In a surprising announcement...

TVLine Items: Warrior Sets Return, Netflix's Splinter Cell Series and More

[from the link...]
    Warrior
    will kick ass this fall: Season 2 of the Cinemax series will premiere in October, it was announced on Thursday. The action-packed crime drama, created by Jonathan Tropper (Banshee), is based on the writings of martial arts legend Bruce Lee. Watch a teaser for the upcoming 10 episodes above.

Although renewed in April 2019, Warrior‘s future was somewhat in question, seeing as how WarnerMedia execs announced this past January that Cinemax will not produce any further original programming.

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Cool. I like that show.

9. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Season 2 started. Still awesome.. HBO own Cinemax?

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've got them recorded, but haven't started watching yet. One of my favorite shows from last year.

11. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    So Cinemax has said they're killing off their original programming division. Unless the show moves to HBO Max I'd sadly assume this will be the last season :(

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This was made before the decision to kill Cinemax. So yeah, this is it.

Still letting them build up. Assuming you're watching, how is it?

13. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    LlamaLarry and astrohip like this.
  14. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    For some reason I thought episode 9 was the finale. Glad there's one more left.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Still got all these saved up. Need to watch...

16. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I'd say watch 7, 8, and 9 in one go.. A major thing happens in the last minutes of episode 7 that drive the main plot of 8, and 9 and the main characters kind of get become side characters to whats happening around them.

17. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Renewed for a 3rd season on HBO Max.

18. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I saw that over the weekend. It seems it has been consistently in the top 15 viewed series shows since it was released on HBO Max which I'm happy about.

I feel like marketing streaming shows is a hit or miss depending on the platform. Hopefully HBO Max gets people interested/caught up before S3 drops.

19. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    Discovered this on HBO Max and LOVE it. The especially like the production values. The show looks great and has very nice detail. I enjoy looking at it.

Oh and the characters and story are wonderful! I did say I love it.