Warning! TiVo Does Not Support Amazon "Prime" Video Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by suksritiv0, Dec 28, 2011.

1. suksritiv0

suksritiv0 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Recently subscribed to Amazon "Prime". Includes free 2-day shipping AND instant video streaming similar to "Netflix". I was extremely disappointed to discover both my TiVo Premiere units do NOT support Amazon "Prime" instant video streaming; they only support Amazon Instant Video "renting"!

Hardware from Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Vizio and others:( support Amazon "Prime" video streaming. Why doesn't TiVo???????

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Hello, Rip Van Winkle!

3. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Same reason Wii, PS3, etc. doesn't.

It takes time, just like Netflix did. They can't just turn it on, they have to get the content owners buy in that their app is secure.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This has been well-known for a while now. ;)

It does seem like something that should have been finished by now, especially for "the one box", and I do think that Amazon (and perhaps Tivo) could document the limitation better. In particular, Amazon's List of Compatible Devices at http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices does not break down which devices support Prime and which do not.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, you have to dig into the Amazon site to find the statement that instant videos don't stream to TiVo's -- not cool!

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Wii, PS3, etc don't support Amazon period so that's not a valid comparison.

TiVo is the only device that supports Amazon renting and purchasing, but does not support free Prime streaming. Likely it never will.

7. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    It's a perfectly valid comparison. The 'new "Amazon Instant Video" is a new product for Amazon. The old one, called "Amazon Unbox", is something that they couldn't develop for game consoles that don't have hard drives.

I expect them to develop an app for the wii, ps3, and TiVo, but it will take time as it involves convincing the content owners that the design is sound.

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    It is also one of the few, if not the only, that supports downloading. (Not saying that I wouldn't prefer the streaming option...)

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, it's more valid to compare it to the other devices that support Amazon. And TiVo is the ONLY one that doesn't support streaming (which is the requirement for Amazon Prime).

10. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    All the others don't support downloading. What is your point? You want a feature the Tivo doesn't support. Just like those other devices don't support. There is not much difference. It isn't like Tivo supports streaming of non-prime videos, they don't support streaming from Amazon. Now that said, hopefully they will in the future (and this would hopefully fix the inability to watch, without forcing a download from a computer, previously purchased content). The existing relationship with Amazon will hopefully encourage this.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Nothing to see here, just another incomplete/obsolete app for Tivos. Same as pretty much every other internet app on Tivos (Pandora being a notable exception, but it was recently done).

If the 'one box' in their marketing had 'half' and 'assed' between one and box, it would fit the bill. Great DVR, totally incomplete otherwise.

12. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No, that's not it. TiVo DOES do streaming, just fine. It works with Netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc.

Amazon Unbox is what TiVo supported, it was developed before Amazon Instant Video existed. Amazon is the one who made it a download service. They didn't offer streaming. It's what was approved by content providers to work with a TiVo.

The other service is a new streaming service, so even though you think it's 'the same', it isn't. Even if you watch the same movie, one device is using a completely different service than the other.

It's like saying "Why doesn't TiVo support this new service that just came out a few months ago?" They probably will, but just because it has the word Amazon in it doesn't mean it's the same thing. There's lots involved to supporting it, it's more complex than just writing an app. Content providers have to agree to it.

I do fault both TiVo and Amazon for not making this clear on their websites.

What's obsolete about their Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube apps?

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Content providers cause most of these problems. That is why you can not view Vudu HD Content on a computer but you can on a connected device that has Vudu or why you can not view some of the Hulu content available on a computer through a connected device with Hulu+.

Just look what happened to the latest release of Boxee software for computers they couldn't even provide a Pandora app anymore.

None of it makes any sense but it is the way it is.

I do fault TiVo and Amazon for not getting this sorted out in a more timely manor but I also assume there were more issues to resolve than we know about.

14. suksritiv0

suksritiv0 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Wow. I didn't realize this would spark such a debate over what's a valid comparison or not. I was hoping for more constructive replies such as, why Amazon Prime is not supported (and not assumptions), and when it may be supported. Hoping for a response from TiVo.

P.S. - Luckily I have a Panasonic DVD player that supports Amazon Prime video streaming but, that is only 1 room.

15. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Tivo reps rarely respond in these forums.

None of us know for sure why there isn't Amazon Prime support, the best we can do is to speculate. As far as 'sparking debates', you must be new here.... :)

It's something numerous other companies, such as those making Blu-ray players have been able to do in a minimum of time. If Tivo wants to play in the same playground as the other big boys, they need to be able to support the same features. It's not rocket science. If it was a priority, it'd be done by now. It's not a priority.

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You should look through the site a bit more. This is NOT a TiVo supported forum and you will not see them as active participants in the arguments here. At most someone may chime in from time to time with a technical issue that is being fixed (you can also see the history that got us to this state).

I'm sure TiVo would love to have tons of easy to access apps for streaming content. Why wouldn't they? It would help sell boxes, for sure. It boils down to contractual agreements that they cannot break or influence materially (they are not Apple) and potentially technical issues that would take new code to implement.

17. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    How much time? It has been 10 months. You said "content owners have to approve it". Well you can stream prime on almost every TV, and blu-ray, including some fly-by-night brands. I don't think the content owners are saying "everyone gets it except Tivo! I hate those guys, and their ba-doop, ba-doop!"
    The Tivopologist drive me crazy.

18. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I know what you mean... There's a bazillion other devices that support Amazon Prime (I think it's even built into my latest TV!), and every time the topic comes up we hear all of these reasons why it's too difficult for Tivo to do the same as if there's some insurmountable hurdle, be it technological or legal, why this cannot be done.

When you want to market 'the one box', you need to lead the pack with popular streaming content, not be the one guy fumbling around off by himself with an asterisk by his name.

19. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    This is a rehash of the "Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!" thread in which the issue has been flogged to death (admittedly some moderator should have come along and appended "...is not available on TiVo" to that title :D).

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    And how many other DVRs?