Warning...Newbie here..My original Tivo is dead. What to replace it with?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sharihane, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1 of 33
    Sharihane

Sharihane New Member

Jul 8, 2017

Advertisements

I was going to buy the Bolt straight from Tivo. But when I called customer service the Rep from who knows where? (When did that happen?) She said that I couldn't keep my $6.95 service fee. What happened to the wonderful customer service? So I went to Ebay and saw Series 4 with lifetime. How does that work since I have an original Series 2 with lifetime. I saw somewhere that you can't have 2 lifetimes on 1 account? The Tivo that is dead is the monthly tivo. My lifetime Tivo is fine (so far)

wtherrell likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2017 #2 of 33
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Not sure what your question is per say, but there is no restrictions on having more than one TiVo DVR with lifetime service on your account. Remember lifetime service (now called All In) is attached to the DVR not you or your account.

Sharihane likes this.
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #3 of 33
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I would say avoid the Premiere. Look for at least a Roamio. Of course a Bolt would be best.

Yes, no problem with multiple lifetimes on one account. I have several.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #4 of 33
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You just missed a great deal from TiVo where they let you transfer your lifetime from a series 2 or 3 to a new Bolt for $99. I'm pretty sure it's over now, but you might get lucky with a service rep. Tell them you never got the email.

5. Jul 8, 2017 #5 of 33
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

It looks like in this thread people were still able to order as of yesterday.
    Once in a lifetime PLS transfer coming back?

Call and say you left a message, but never got a call back.

A Bolt with a couple of Minis would be a better option than 2 old TiVos.

Sharihane likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2017 #6 of 33
    Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I dug my old series 2 out and hooked it back up in April, as I missed the first $99 lifetime transfer promotion- I got in on the 2nd one last month. I hadn't looked at my Tivo account since I set it up in 2004 and my Series 2 was still on my original account. I did notice that Tivo promotional emails was turned off, so I switched it to on, and I got the next $99 offer email when the deal started up the end of June.

Sharihane likes this.
  7. Jul 8, 2017 #7 of 33
    Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
  8. Jul 8, 2017 #8 of 33
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    OTA or cable? And what was the dead TiVo? Series 3? Premiere? What model? How many tuners do you need? If you're on cable, might you ever want to go to OTA? These are all important factors.

9. Jul 8, 2017 #9 of 33
    Sharihane

Sharihane New Member

Jul 8, 2017

I have cable. I don't know what OTA is. I have 2 seris 2 tivos one with lifetime is working. The other has $6.95 service is the 1 that just died (powering up) I have a netflix account so I like the sound of the new ones.

10. Sharihane

Sharihane New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Why don't you like the premiere?

11. Fernwood

Fernwood Member

Sep 11, 2014
    OTA = Over The Air

Sharihane likes this.
  12. Sharihane

Sharihane New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Thank you. My promotional emails were all set to off. I just switched it. Do you know how often they do promos?

13. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    Well, I got an offer in April for a refurbished OTA Roamio w/lifetime for $249, then this $99 special that I took advantage of - OTA = over the air (plain old broadcast TV using an antenna) And the Summer Sale in June.

14. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    Now that you are armed with the details of the $99 special and why you missed getting the email- it does no harm to call Tivo and request consideration on getting a refurbished Bolt on the 2nd chance Lifetime transfer.

Sharihane likes this.
  15. Sharihane

Sharihane New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Well it was worth a try. The only thing she offered was to give me the $199. Bolt for $175. or refurb Bolt for $125. But she was not offering me anything for monthly discounts. I said I don't feel like I am asking for alot. I have been with you guys since 2003. But....nope. :(

16. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I would suggest trying to hang on until another offer. Now I'll admit we don't know if/when a new offer will come. TiVo does seem aggressive with the discounts so far. Also maybe watch Amazon.com on Prime day (July 11th) for a discount on TiVo, will it happen... IDK.

PS. The best deals right now seem to be people selling TiVo they got from summer sale TiVo just had. I've seen a few times lifetime Bolt for $500.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Sharihane likes this.
  17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Hi Shari! Well, yeah, for the last couple of years Tivo customer service has changed profoundly. It saddens me, as it used to be quite good. I always found help and answers over the years.

A Bolt for $175 is pretty decent. I recently replaced my last Premiere with another Bolt because I like my other one so much. I just bought the year and will deal after that, or if lifetime goes down at any point I'll do that. Back when Lifetime was $300 per unit it was a no-brainer for me.

My other Bolt just came up for the year and I called Tivo to see if there were any deals that I, also a long time customer, could get (kinda hoping for a killer Lifetime deal. *sigh*) and the best he could do was to offer me $9.99 a month so I took that. Cheaper than the $149 a year and the standard $14.99 a month.

Maybe, as a long time customer, you could benefit by calling again and getting somebody else. I don't know how you can get somebody stateside now that most of it has moved overseas, however. I talked to them one day this week with a situation and the lady (sounds like she's from the Philippines, but not sure) was THE rudest person I'd talked to in a long time. I was pretty surprised, as I was not upset or rude with her at all (I'm always friendly and polite until it's time NOT to be). She had a Charter rep on the phone with us and was really rude to her. I had to apologize, for whatever that was worth.

Sharihane likes this.
  18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    BTW, somehow I didn't notice this before (not having a very smart day so far today!) that you mentioned about having more than one Lifetime unit on one account. I have two Premieres on Lifetime, so that's fine. Too bad they are just sitting around unused at this point but I suppose I got my money's worth. :D

As to the Bolt, I really love mine. That is what I replaced both of my Premieres with, even though both units are still working fine. So many cool new features. I especially love 'quick mode' and 'skip'. I also LOVE that they have internal wireless adapters. I hated having to have those external wireless adapters and I'm just not in a position to wire everything to my router.

19. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Forget about the Premiere. You have to get at least a Roamio to get skipmode and quickmode. I simply could not live without those 2 features.

chicagobrownblue and sharkster like this.
  20. jcrandall

jcrandall Member

Feb 8, 2017