War of the Worlds on EPIX (Spoilers OK)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Feb 24, 2020.

1. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The first episode is free to watch. And it reeled me in! It takes place in France (not sure why, but OK) and there's a lot of subtitles (so pay attention). It stars Gabriel Byrne, Elizabeth McGovern and a bunch of french/non-french actors I've never seen.

Episodes are released weekly (drops on Sundays). Been only two episodes so far and I'm really liking it. It has an early TWD vibe (to me at least). There are 8 episodes and if you wait, you can binge with their 7-day trial.

2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
  3. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
  4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Was this one on BBC at the end of last year?

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Not sure if it was BBC, but definitely aired on 2019 outside the US.

MikeMar likes this.
  6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    It's annoying/confusing as there is
    War of the Worlds (this one, on BBC One and now Epix) and
    A 3 ep mini series called The War of the Worlds that came out last year too

I heard that (I believe it was the 3 ep one) was NOT good

7. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yeah, one of these versions is supposed to suck large.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I see the 3-part mini series has a 67% RT. Not great, but not terrible. I may have to seek it out now.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    While this one seems OK, it has a very slow pace which can be frustrating and is all too common these days. I suppose it is hard to stretch a 1.5 hour movie into 8 hours... :)

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I haven't seen the one with Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern yet but I have watched the first two episodes of the one that aired on the BBC. It's mostly about the aftermath of the invasion and life on earth after being decimated by the Martians. If you like depressing TV then it's bound to be your cup of tea. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the third episode yet, but I'll probably do it someday.

11. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I see the alien robots have their weapon in their nose. Obviously this proves they monitored Doctor Who broadcasts and stole design elements from K9.

cheesesteak likes this.
  12. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    Based on what I’ve read, this 8 episode series on Epix first aired in France on a French premium channel called Canal+.

The BBC one was a 3 part miniseries.

13. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    So 11 eps total between the 2, hell I'll probably just watch both!

14. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Haven't seen this TV show, but a couple weeks ago I downloaded (free on Apple's bookstore) and read a book titled "Edison's Conquest Of Mars." It was published in 1898 and was apparently an unauthorized sequel to War Of The Worlds.

As the title might suggest, it has Thomas Edison adapting the tech left behind by the Martians and Earthmen quickly building an invasion fleet of their own. Interesting stuff.

15. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    That's a really cool concept

16. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Now up to date with the EPIX series. I'm definitely in for the rest of the season.

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    This series is too slow. Thought for sure it would pickup the pace. Also stupid storyline about the mom and her brother.

cheesesteak and lparsons21 like this.
  18. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Hmm. A woman in the woods, just off a road clogged with cars and corpses, repeatedly yelling out for a family member named "Sofia!!!!!"

Seems vaguely familiar...

19. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    I'm a completist, so I'm with it at least until the end of the season.

I like Ash/Kariem/The Family more than the other groups. Maybe I'll find Gabriel Byrne & wife less annoying now that they've joined up.
    Do you think they put rottweilers into mocap suits for the alien attack dogs? Those things took out the entire military bunker but a feeble unarmed Gabriel Byrne is able to hold one off while his wife kills it with one shot? My complaint is already registered in the Tropes thread. :)
    I think they've telegraphed how we defeat the aliens in the latest episode with the crash site.
    So, they attacked us because they really dislike that Nick Cave song the astronomer chose?

20. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    I could be wrong, but it looked like the one that was trying to attack Gabriel Byrne was partially disabled in some way. It wasn’t moving very quickly and it’s “weapons” weren’t working.

MacThor likes this.