1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to upgrade my Tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mikey1273, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Jul 9, 2018 #1 of 55
    mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    What new tv sets are you all buying to pair with your Roamio? I kinda realize that I dont need a smart tv and will probably not use that feature but 99% of them have it built in now. Id like a 50 to 55 inch to replace my 40" thats over 10 years old. Is 4k and HDR worth getting? I know the TiVo can only output 1080 and I dont have an ultraHD blue ray player yet.

2. Jul 9, 2018 #2 of 55
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you want just he basics, Any HDTV with HDMI inputs.

4K is not coming very soon, no one is even broadcasting yet.

3. Jul 9, 2018 #3 of 55
    mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    Correct 4k is not being broadcast at except a very few stations that are testing it. Then you need an atsc 3.0 tuner to recieve it. Currently there is no consumer available atsc3.0 tuner or tuner chipset for any consumer devices. 4k Broadcasts are not expected to start in major areas untill 2020. I would like to be some what future proof. I'm sure we will need a new tivo when 4k becomes a comman thing.

Since most tvs in that size are 4k I suppose just go to best buy and pick something reasonable with a good picture .

4. Jul 9, 2018 #4 of 55
    randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    After a lot of research i picked the 2017 4K Sony X900E TV to replace my highly reviewed 2014 Sony 1080p TV and the X900E is a big improvement in every picture quality category on regular 720p and 1080i Cable and OTA content (both watched on my Roamio and Premiere) as well as Netflix and Blu-Ray. Excellent picture quality and rivals my excellent ST60 Plasma !

Best Buy still has leftover 55" X900E inventory at low clearance prices, otherwise the current (and even better but more money) model is the X900F. Available in 49" and 55", and larger sizes also.

5. Jul 9, 2018 #5 of 55
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Think I heard that Netflix and Amazon are providing some 4K and HDR videos now. You may need a separate streaming box (Fire TV or Roku) to play them.

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I also have a Sony X900E, been using it for about 8 or 9 months. Love it! Great picture quality.

One note...beware of the Samba services. Here's some info from the New York Times yesterday:

-----
    Once enabled, Samba TV can track nearly everything that appears on the TV on a second-by-second basis, essentially reading pixels to identify network shows and ads, as well as programs on Netflix and HBO and even video games played on the TV. Samba TV has even offered advertisers the ability to base their targeting on whether people watch conservative or liberal media outlets and which party’s presidential debate they watched.

The big draw for advertisers — which have included Citi and JetBlue in the past, and now Expedia — is that Samba TV can also identify other devices in the home that share the TV’s internet connection.
    -----

You can disable Samba here:
    Settings...Apps...Samba Service Manager...Disable.

randywalters and Mikeguy like this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the report. Shame on Sony--that's disgustingly sick and violative, absent a screen-wide warning requiring a positive opt-in. Is there any real, apparent warning?

8. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    I did look up that model but it wasnt avalible near me any longer and near the top of my price range or over it per online pricing. I did see the x710e or x720e was more what I wanted to spend. Not so sure I likw being tracked though. Good that it can be disabled

9. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    I seen that Netflix does have 4k content but my package only includes HD. You have to pay a few dollars more a noth to get that. Not sure if the bit amazon has is included with prime . You would need to use a 4k capable player to play it not our TiVos, unless you have a bolt. .

10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Samba was opt-in, so at least there's that. Beyond that...very little information.

The day the Samba opt-in appeared on my set I was out doing some yard work. My wife called me in, asking if I wanted to add Samba to our TV. I'd never heard of it, so we chose cancel. It only took a few minutes of using Google to learn that Samba Interactive Services was all advertising related...so that answered that question -- it wasn't anything I needed or wanted.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    The Sony X900E was last years model. This year's model is the X900F. I hear the X900F is the same set with faster processing...so it should be a little better. I'm really happy with my X900E...stunningly beautiful picture. The X900E and X900F are available in many sizes...from 40-something to 75-inch.

Never thought I'd own a Sony Bravia set...but found it highly rated on rtings.com. Before shopping I was all set to buy a Samsung set, but the store had the Samsung and Sony side by side. I chose the Sony.

randywalters likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wonder if the level of (spying/intrusiveness) was fully disclosed, and in real human terms (rather than tiny boilerplate text), at the opt-in point.

13. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Probably...in the pages long "agreement" that no one ever reads.

In this case...I'm not sure if I blame Sony or Google...the Sony runs Android TV. So perhaps the blame lies with Google.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This level of intrusiveness and (spying) feels different to me, requiring explicit, separate disclosure, with full-screen text and blinking warnings . . . .

15. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    went to Best buy this evening to browse and see some sets in person. I really wanted to like the TCL 55s515 but I wasn't overly impressed for 449. The colours we just ok no wow. The blacks were very black which is good. The whites seemed to be grayish. I can get a sharp or Toshiba on sale for the same price and it looks better.
    Of the ones I looked at I liked the Samsung NU7100 best for the price of 599.99. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6200125.p?skuId=6200125
    Then LG 55uk6300 at $549.99. Colour blacks and contrast were nearly as good as the Samsung https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6233215.p?skuId=6233215
    I really wanted to check out the Sony x720e on sale for 649 but the display model was not connected to a signal, the sales person seemed to think the Samsung was better.
    I really did like the LG SK8000PUA but it is more expensive at $849.99 It does add local dimming as some more up level features. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6233215.p?skuId=6233215
    What opinions good or bad would you all have on those selections I think I am going to wait to buy until at least next week when Amazon has Prime day. Not that I am going to buy from Amazon but in the past I have bought other electronics during that time and best buy matched Amazon's price. This way I will get the price and be able to take advantage of 6 or 12 month no interest on their credit card.

16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are a Costco Member, try there.

If you are not, ask someone who is to get you a Costco Cash Card, and you can pay on your own.

Pay by Visa is possible now, but not MC.

17. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    There is no Costco here. We have Sam's club which is a Wal-Mart you need a membership to shop in. And we have bJ's, I have a membership there but they don't seem to have a great tv selection. Mostly last year's models

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There are adjustments that affect these things. I would question whether they have been optimized on the display models. (And "optimized" is different for each viewer.)

19. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    Good point I did not consider that. Problem is they dont have the remotes out on the sales floor and are probably not likely to let me fritter with the settings like that to get it how it is best set up or how I prefer to see it. This is one problem with big box retail. So to have time with a TCL like you suggest I would have to buy it, take it home and set up. Then play with the settings to optomize it. If I dont like then I have to hope I can return it and get something else. Seems like a lot of work. However to sell more expensive sets they could have the cheaper ones less optomized.

20. MScottC

MScottC Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Honestly, based on your original post, pretty much every TV out there meets the needs you desire. I'm going to go out on a pretty safe limb and say virtually all TVs now of the 55" range are both 4K (UHD) and "Smart." If you truly are about saving money and I'd look for reviews regarding brand reliability and I'd also look at how you interact with the remote.

As far as 4K, more and more services are streaming it, so don't obsess over it being there, accept it. You may eventually want to view Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other streaming services in 4K.

And as far as the Smart TV functions, go for it. they open a whole world of streaming, both pay and free, and since the price to buy into "Smart TV" really is negligible, it's really worth it.

I won't specify a TV brand or model for you, as I am admittedly a picture quality snob. I have to be, as that's part of my job description. Personally I went with an LG OLED and love it. But it's not cheap technology. I spent well north over a grand for my set, but it really gives me something close to the quality of the broadcast reference monitors I use at my job.