Want to revert back to an HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Okeemike, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the community, but I sure can't find it

I got a DirecTV HD DVR in Jan, when I got a new television. I hate it. I hate it with the fury of 1000 burning suns.

I'd like to revert back to an HD TiVo (HR10-250), which I can get from a relative.

If I Do revert back, I understand that I'll have to use an antenna to get my local stations in HD. I can deal with that.

However, what about the new satellite that just went up, and all the new HD stations coming? Are they all going to be MPEG-4? (thereby preventing me from being able to access them)

Also, since I have the 'new' 5-LNB dish, will the DTivo work with it?? I've read elsewhere that it will not even work at all.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, all of the new HD channels will be MPEG4 beamed from the new Ka-band satellites at 99 & 103-deg W. The HR10-250 will not receive them. It's likely that the current MPEG2 HD channels will move to the new satellites sometime in 2008 also.

Your HR10-250 will work fine with the 5-LNB dish. It just thinks it's a 3-LNB dish. I have both an HR20 and an HR10-250 connected to mine with no problems.

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Does DTV have a 2 year commitment hanging over your head? If not, let 'em know how you feel and ditch them. They don't pay attention to what consumers like us want, so let your wallet do the talking.

I was a DTV customer for well over 10 years, and I got fed up with their crap over TiVo and their own DVR. So I cut them off.

Went with S3 units and back to cable. And I've been pretty happy. I'm no fan of cable companies, they are just as consumer unfriendly as DTV. But I switched because of TiVo.

Timing might be even better for you since the S3 lite is rumored to be coming out soon.

4. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I had not thought about the possible conversion the the current HD channels to MPEG-4, that would cause problems.

I emailed DTV yesterday, and they called me back with a 'special offer' or something (800 number + a four digit code). Not sure what the offer is, however, they told me that if I purchased a HR10-250 on my own, they'd credit me $100, and suggested that I go to eBay to get it.

Is there a list of what channels are available on what satellites?

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  6. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
  7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    All the new HD channels will be at 99 and 103 which the HR10 cannot see. Only an H20 or HR20 can see them. MPEG4 is just a side effect but the HR10 can't decode MPEG4 either.

All current MPEG2 HD which are scattered about the main sats at 101, 110 and 119 will be shut down and moved to 99 and 103 in MPEG4 as noted above, probably within a year or so, maybe a bit longer or less.

Basically by this time next year if you want to stick with DirecTV and want HD from them the HR20 will be your only choice. The HR10 will still work great with OTA HD and SD from the sat.

If you have questions or problems with the HR20, DBSTalk is the place to seek for help.

8. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  9. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    "Piece of crap DirecTV HD DVR-thing
    Series 2
    DSR 6000 (somehwere under the bed)"

LOL :D

I love the description: Piece of crap Directv HD DVR-Thing.

:D

10. jfk333

jfk333 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have a question. I have a tivo and Direct tv.To get the new HD stations they tell me that I have to use thier ver troubled hr20. Can I get some kind of Direct HD reciever and use a tivo as my interface, thus avoiding the hr20

JFK

11. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nope, not if you want a DVR and access to the new HD content.

For more details, see www.dbstalk.com

12. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Hmm... imagine that... a Tivo user having not like the HR20 :) Where have I read that before - oh yeah, over at dbstalk.com

Here's a suggestion - when you go over there and tell them what you really think about the box, don't let the kids near the computer when you're looking at their responses and helpful suggestions on what you might do with that box. They might see some adult words you may not want them to :)

13. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Yawn... you really should just make that your signature.

14. jfk333

jfk333 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Is the HR 20 still horrible or have they fixed the things wrong with it? (ie will it work almost as well as the Tivo)?

Am I better off going with Dish, or cable?

JFK

15. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    JFK, that's a loaded question to ask at the TiVo forum. I really suggest you visit the dbstal.com DIRECTV HR20 Q&A forum to get a wider range of opinions.

As to what your best option will be, that's up to you and your pocketbook. If you're a current DIRECTV customer and really want to leave them, you may get some good incentive offers to stay, such as almost free HD DVRs and new dish installation. If you want to go to cable, you may be able to get a cable company to pay any cancellation fees you may face with DIRECTV. You can also get cable and a stand-alone TiVo Series 3.

You'd probably need to post more about yourself. Are you a current DIRECTV customer? Do you have HiDef needs? Do you have FIOS in your area? Etc.

16. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    So, the box works. I mean, the DVR isn't fundamentally bad, per se (well, maybe it is). However, it's the combination of several small things that irritate me. If I were to not have any TiVo experience, I don't think it'd be an issue, but I've been a TiVo user for nearly a decade, and it's in the comparison that I get frustrated.

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    HR20 records my programs. That's all the matters to me.

18. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Now he says "irritate me" and "get frustrated". So what happened to the drama queen that said - I hate it. I hate it with the fury of 1000 burning suns?

19. flyerjmr33

flyerjmr33 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I converted to the new Direct TV dvr and as far as I'm concerned, after having TIVO since it came out, I like the HR20 just fine. It does some things better than TIVO and a couple ofthings not so good as Tivo, but for the most part. It's an OK device.
    Now, that said, I do have a one year old HD Tivo for sale----
    Any offers?

20. jfk333

jfk333 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Flyerjmr33 and others:

One knock I've heard on the hr20 is that it is hard to set up "season passes"
    and it frequently misses programs that you ask it to record.
    Do you use their verson of "season pass" and have you had those problems?

Also what are the things that it doesn't do "as well as tivo" or "that tivo will do that it won't do"?

Thanks,

JFK