1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to play nearly ANY audio file on your TiVo? (New Version 10/22/07)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Dan203, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1 of 327
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Well now you can! With my new TiVo Desktop Universal Audio Plug-in....

http://www.3wdesigns.net/TDUAP/Setup.exe

Out of the box this plug-in supports iTunes AAC files (unencrypted), WMA files (unencrypted) and OGG Vorbis files. However it also contains an interface for adding support for your own audio formats.* (I've personally tried it with APE, FLAC and WAV and all work perfectly) It also supports tags for all the built in formats, as well as a a few others via a universal tag library. For everything else it will simply use the file name as the song title.

Note: If you were previously using my AAC plug-in, or the pzand WMA plug-in, you will need to uninstall them before installing this one.

Dan

* The file must be capable of being played via DirectShow for it to work. There are DirectShow filters available for the majority of formats if you Google for them. The only exception is encrypted formats such as music purchased from services such as iTunes Music Store, Napster, etc...

Note
    If you would like to use playlists fom iTunes which contain files other then MP3, you now can. The author of TiViTunes has just released a new version of his software which actually works with my plug-in and automatically recognizes all the formats you have enabled and automatically allows them to be added to the TiVo compatible playlists as well.

Edit
    On 10/19/07 I made a small change which should fix the compatibility problem with the 9.1 software. Apparently there was a small bug in the logic I used to allocate the buffer size on the TiVo which didn't bother previous versions but caused 9.1 to only play 20-30 seconds of the file before bombing out. To install the new version you will need to exit out of TiVo Desktop and TiVo Server. (to exit TiVo Server right click the TiVo icon in the tray and select TiVo Server Properties, then click the Exit button in the dialog that pops up)

Edit
    On 10/22/07 I made another small change to address the lockup when seeking from one MP4 to the next. It still happens on occasion, with frantic switching, but I've verified everything I'm doing on my end is correct, so either the API changed and TiVo hasn't released a new version or something in the TiVo software is causing a glitch in the server itself. In any case this should fix it for most normal usage patterns.

2. Apr 14, 2006 #2 of 327
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Works great so far, thanks.

You should probably also remove pzand's WMA plugin if it's installed since with this plug-in it's not needed.

BTW don't bother trying .mid files. I tried them and it will let you add them, but they won't play on the TiVo.

3. Apr 15, 2006 #3 of 327
    cbono

cbono New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    So, I have to ask...

What *would* it take to support music store-purchased music? I know that Apple keeps their DRM to themselves, but WMA support is all over the place. And not just in MP3 players... WinAMP (which is free) can play all of my purchased MSN Music files.

Is it just a matter of licensing?

4. Apr 15, 2006 #4 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The problem is that TiVos only really support MP3. This plug-in works by transcoding various formats to MP3. The licensing agreement for playing encrypted WMA files specifically prevents transcoding the files. So there is really no way for me to legally support encrypted files.

That being said there are ways to strip the encryption from both iTunes and WMA files. If you do that first then you'll be able to play either one using this plug-in.

Dan

5. Apr 16, 2006 #5 of 327
    buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    Downloaded and I listened to my WMA files for the first time in the bedroom! Don't forget that this is offered free but if you use it How about sending a donation for Dan's effort!(There is a link on the plug-in screen) I sent one tonight and Dan thanked me and told me I was his first one!? First one??? I was surprised, How many of us are using this? More than myself I would assume.
    Thanks again!

6. Apr 17, 2006 #6 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Thanks again buddhawood! :)

No one should feel obligated to donate anything. While donations are greatly appreciated I did this project for the good of the community, not to make money. If you want to throw a couple bucks my way I'll certainly thank you, but if you don't feel free to enjoy the software anyway.

Dan

7. Apr 27, 2006 #7 of 327
    HOPTOAD

HOPTOAD New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I just downloaded the plug in and when I try to playback music thru Tivo it says the folder doesnt contain any playable music. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    HOPTOAD

Edit

The files i am trying to play are all ripped into itunes off of cd's into ACC format.

8. Apr 27, 2006 #8 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What kind of music are you trying to play? If it's anything other then AAC, WMA or OGG you have to manually add the format to the plug-in's interface. Also keep in mind that the AAC and WMA portions can NOT play encrypted music. So if you're trying to play music downloaded from a pay service like iTMS or Napster it will not work.

Dan

9. May 1, 2006 #9 of 327
    kdm

kdm New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Washington, IL
    THANKS DAN! My daughter will be so thrilled. She plays her mp3 files through the DVR when practicing her cheer and dance routines. Being able to use the fast forward and instant replay on Tivo is so much easier than on the CD player or computer. Now, she will be able to do the non-protected WMA files that I converted most of her mp3's to in order to save space on her mp3 player. You have gotten me out of the doghouse!

10. May 8, 2006 #10 of 327
    pjspring

pjspring New Member

May 8, 2006
    Cool!

Can you make it read iTunes playlists as well? :)

11. May 8, 2006 #11 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've considered that. But right now I'm working on something else and don't have time.

Although I could have sworn that there was a TD plug-in out there somewhere that could already do this. But I can't seem to find it. :(

Dan

12. May 17, 2006 #12 of 327
    pnoble

pnoble New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm not a guru with Windows Media Player and plug ins, but I've been having no luck for a few years in getting music to come out of my tv through the Home Media Option. All of my music is WMA, and Tivo obviously needs MP3. I went through what seemed to be the motions of installing your plug in tonight, but still no WMA conversions. Maybe I missed a step? I downloaded the software. All of the little boxes are checked for the various types I want to convert. I went to Windows Media Player (I have v 10) and added the plug in under Options. When I went back and clicked Add again, there were two exe files -- TDUAP and unins000. Both are dated tonight and seem to be from the plug in I installed. What am I doing wrong? The music is from CDs. Is the music all encrypted and unavailable? I'll never get past that with my limited knowledge, and I'm not sure I want to delve into that.

13. May 17, 2006 #13 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This plug-in is for TiVo Desktop not Windows Media Player. What you need to do is open TiVo Desktop (install it if you don't have it), switch to the Music & Photos tab, then publish your WMA files through there. Once you've published what you want to hear start the TiVo Server from the menu in TiVo Desktop. Now go to your TiVo and go into Music, Photos & More and find the list that says Music on pc name. You should see all the music you published and should be able to play it through the TiVo. (note this does not work for encrypted music files)

Dan

14. May 17, 2006 #14 of 327
    pnoble

pnoble New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks, Dan. Working now. I appreciate the help. Pat

15. May 17, 2006 #15 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Glad to hear youo got it working. Enjoy your music! :)

Dan

16. May 20, 2006 #16 of 327
    ec13823

ec13823 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Do all music files need to be kept on the computer(as a matching library) or can I dump some onto Tivo and then delete them from the computer to add new tunes to add to Tivo? I am guessing that this would incorrect and it functions like an IPOD where you need to have all music on your computer as well. The reason I as is that my computer will never hold all my music and it would be great to have Tivo as a jukebox instead of a small library that matched the one on my computer. thanks

17. May 21, 2006 #17 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVos do NOT store music locally. They stream them from a PC.

Dan

18. May 25, 2006 #18 of 327
    dwgsp

dwgsp Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Perinton, NY
    I installed the TiVo Desktop Universal Audio plug-in today, but I am having problems. Some of the flac format files on my computer can be played through my Tivo just fine, while others won't play. I have a DirectShow filter installed that allows WindowsMediaPlayer to play flac format files, and the files that won't play on the TiVo play fine through WMP.

Note that the announcement for the TiVo Desktop Universal Audio plug-in mentions that "it also contains an interface for adding support for your own audio formats" but I can't find any instructions describing how to do this. My guess is that since some flac files currently play fine my problem is elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    /Don

19. May 26, 2006 #19 of 327
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually if the ones that play have the OGG extension, then that is why they work. In order to add support for files with any other extension you have to launch the interface that's included with the plug-in (should be under Start->Program Files) and add it to the user defined list. You do this by selecting Add then picking one of the files which does not currently play. Also after you're done make sure you exit the interface so that the program can restart TiVo Desktop and TiVo Server and reload the modified format list.

If that doesn't work PM me so I can hae you send me one of the files that doesn't work and I can look into why it's not working.

Dan

20. May 28, 2006 #20 of 327
    ptsailor

ptsailor New Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Probably overly obvious to everyone BUT me..

But...

*** Requires TiVo Desktop Ver. 2.2 (or at least greater than 2.0.0.2)

Now that I've gotten over that hurdle, I'm perfectly content while listening to my new AAC encoded John Hiatt CD on my home stereo via TiVo-HMO. Thank you very much!!

One question, how does the publishing mechanism 'work?' By that I mean that when I first restarted the TiVo server I had trouble finding a folder (artist) that displayed anything other than "there are no publishable files..." but as time went by I noticed more and more, as if it was taking the desktop client a while to go through the folders and determine that there were convertable files within.