Want to change input source to for no cable box for unsub unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tmonte, Jan 23, 2006.

1. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Series 1 Tivo that I use as a recorder. I just moved it to another TV where I don't have a cable box - previous one had a box. I want to change my input source so I assume I need to go through guided setup. Since I don't have a subscription I can't dial in. How can I reset my input and not dial in and finish with Guided Setup? I am now stuck - can't dial in and can't finish guided setup.

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Sure you can.

...And probably should from time to time to keep the clock synched.

3. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I'm having no luck dialing in - my unit is not registered so I think will keep bouncing me out.

All i want to do is change the input source on the box.

4. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Message says "service unavailable"

5. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR

Advertisements

There's no way to finish Guided Setup except by completing the program call. Does the tivo actually attempt to dial and get "service unavailable" only after the connection? You may have a bad modem.

6. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    The modem is fine. The problem is that I don't have a subscription, so when I call my serial # is bounced. I just want to be able to reset the input, so don't undersatnd why I need to dial in. Wondering if there is some other way to reset this.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

That's not how it works. An unsubbed Tivo can call in as often as you want it to. "Service Unavailable" has nothing to do with the status of a subscription. Your modem is probably not working. You could try an external modem or a ppp over serial connection.

8. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Will try another phone outlet tomorrow. Could be interference on line. If I don't have a subscription, and make the call, won't I be bounced? Doesn't Tivo do this intentionally? How far will I be able to get if I connect - far enough to change my inputs?

9. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Thank You!

I'm OK now.