Want a MPEG-4 DVR with TiVo from DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BlankMan, Aug 12, 2008.

Want an MPEG-4 HD DirectTV DVR with TiVo?

1. I did it! I told DTV I want my HD MPEG-4 TiVo DVR!

135 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. Not me. I love DTV's HD DVR's just the way they are.

23 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Not me, I could care less.

22 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. What's TiVo?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What's a DVR?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. What's TiVo and what's a DVR?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Who's DTV?

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Aug 12, 2008 #1 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI

Advertisements

I sent a semi detailed email to Chase Carey this morning at 10:22 CDT detailing some of the functional deficiencies and missing features in DirecTV's R20 DVR verses the the HR10-250 with TiVo DVR. Also asking when I might see a DirecTV HD MPEG-4 Receiver with TiVo. At 13:26 CDT I received a call from Arien at DirecTV Corporate Headquarters.

I spent just over 40 minutes talking with Arien regarding the R20 verses HR10-250 and what all the HR10-250 does that the R20 does not, and what the R20 does do but not that well. About all that really came out of the call was that if DirecTV customers really want the TiVo interface, then they have to let DirecTV know that.

I know it seems that talking to a DirecTV CSR is useless and I mentioned that, he tried to assure me that it is not. He explained that when customers call and request things like channels, features and such, the CSR has the capability to log those requests in a format meant specifically for that purpose, add them to a list per se, and those requests are reviewed and tallied each and every day and forwarded on. These sort of requests can also be made on DirecTV's web site via the Send Email feature on the Contact Us page.

I mentioned that it seems like when ever this is done it just goes into a black hole. Arien assured me that although they may not always respond, they do review all that is sent to them. And I'll have to agree with that. This wasn't the first time I emailed Mr. Carey since Murdoch departed, probably my third or fourth, but this one got a direct fast response.

So, all of you that would really like to get TiVo back in your DirecTV DVR's, now is your opportunity to let DirecTV know that. Email them or call them and tell them, don't say it won't work, because you're right, it won't if you don't.

Point out things that you miss, that the TiVo has, or does better. Some of the things I pointed out were, losing the buffer when flipping between tuners, the Guide i.e. being able to see the next 8 programs coming up on a channel not just the next 2 without scrolling, having programs in the Guide that don't have any episode information but looking on the TiVo DVR it has it, not being able to scroll back through the Guide to see a program that aired 4 hours ago (I find this useful at times for information or so that I can easily find a future airing of it to record), in Managing Recordings --> Prioritizer it doesn't tell you what channel it will record the show on (I sometimes record a show on two different channels to get more episodes of it), slow response to buttons on the remote, etc.

We also discussed that Dish's TurboHD claims to be all 1080p, Arien said DirecTV is headed there.

And yes, I write my Alderman, Mayor, Governor, State and Federal Legislatures too.

2. Aug 12, 2008 #2 of 286
    madbeachcat

madbeachcat Content is King

Jan 31, 2002
    Dyersburg, TN
    That ship has sailed. I do not beleive DirecTv would ever go back. There is no reason for them too.

3. Aug 12, 2008 #3 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    You give up to easy.

4. Aug 12, 2008 #4 of 286
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Oh no, not again!

5. Aug 12, 2008 #5 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI

Advertisements

Geeeze... I write to Chase Carey CEO of DirecTV, I get a phone call from his assistant within hours, and all I'm seeing here are nay sayers??

6. Aug 12, 2008 #6 of 286
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I would like to see TiVo be allowed to make a box even if it costs more, however I am happy enough with the HR2x so I am not sure how to answer your poll. I probably wouldn't pay more money just to have a TiVo box though so I don't see why DirecTV would want to go back to TiVo, especially considering their most recent conference call.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1721687#post1721687

7. Aug 12, 2008 #7 of 286
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Just to clarify, Dish doesn't claim to be all 1080p, they just have a 1080p VOD channel (although their advertising is certainly misleading). DirecTV announced in a press release last month that they will also be doing 1080p as well starting August 14th. HR20 and HR21 are both capable of doing 1080p thru a software upgrade.

8. Aug 12, 2008 #8 of 286
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    This request is in the latest CE release. Be sure to post your requests for improvements at DBSTalk as DirecTV does read them. I know it's not the point of your thread but just an FYI.

Definitely tell DirecTV what you want. It's the only way they'll know.

9. Aug 12, 2008 #9 of 286
    direfan

direfan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Rockville
    I will make sure to let the CSRs know about my preference for TIVO. Because IMHO the DTV DVR is a POS.

10. Aug 12, 2008 #10 of 286
    20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    For what it's worth, I submitted an email asking for TiVo on their site.

And I'd pay a higher DVR service fee, and I'd give them a commitment longer than two years. I was with DTV for over 13 years and for nearly half of those it was with DirecTV/TiVo units. They had a real commitment from me without even asking for one. That's what you get with a really happy customer, and I was just that when DirecTV and TiVo were together.

I've been angry about it, but that's done no good. The fact is, if DTV were to bring TiVo back with a new compatible MPEG4 HD DVR, I'd IMMEDIATELY sign back up. Nothing would hold me back. Criticize me if you will, but as a consumer, that is what I want. And on the flip side, as long as DTV does not offer TiVo, I will not be a DTV customer. I know, one person, big deal, DTV is growing without me. Great. But that's how I feel about it.

11. Aug 12, 2008 #11 of 286
    zamzickles

zamzickles New Member

May 21, 2002
    The OC
    If they build it, some of us will buy it. Particularly, if the features have improved since the last build of HR10-250s. Having no choices makes us feel like the cable customers many of us used to be. The dumbing down of features and capabilities for the sake of CSRs and technological newbies is the reason we came to D*. If D* wants to build cheep boxes for the masses that's fine but at least allow builders with superior visions for the future to make products we actually want.

12. Aug 12, 2008 #12 of 286
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I don't care if you got a call from the POTUS, it ain't gonna happen. If you think you're the first to have these delusions, think again.

We see a post like this about once every other week. What makes yours any different?

You set the time period and I'll put up $100 against whatever you want that it will not happen.

13. Aug 12, 2008 #13 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    You don't think it's going to happen, you don't want see another thread, then why are you spending you're time posting to it? Seems hypocritical to me. Just go away and ignore it.

If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. I and others care to try, you don't, so let's leave it at that.

Ahhhh.... I just noticed your moniker Pro Troll Magnet I don't think you're acting like the magnet in this case though.

14. Aug 12, 2008 #14 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    Of the people that love their DTV DVR, I have to ask if they ever had and used a TiVo unit for more then a year?

15. Aug 12, 2008 #15 of 286
    direfan

direfan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Rockville

Sounds like a reasonable request to me!

16. Aug 12, 2008 #16 of 286
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    There have been dozens and dozens of threads on this one as well over the past 3 years or so. If you'd go to DBSTalk, which is the top place for DirecTV DVR talk, you'll find that many of the people there were LOOOONG time members here and have used Tivo for many, many years.

To answer the question:
    Got my first stand alone Tivo in 2000, the good old Sony SVR2000 I think was the model number.
    In 2001 when the DirecTivo's finally were available I got the T-60, only one tuner was active at the time, took Tivo 6 months or so to activate the second tuner. Hacked in a bigger hard drive.
    Had near half a dozen DirecTivo's in service over the years, still have an R10 in service.
    Wanted HD which required an HR20. Got that nearly 2 years ago. Got a 2nd one (HR21 this time) about a year ago.
    I've come to like the HR20/21 interface better then the Tivo over time.
    They record and I watch, don't need a whole lot more then that. They keep adding features and it keeps getting better. DirecTV responds to feedback and tweaks or adds features all the time.

Not sure why people get so religious that their DVR has to be Tivo but hey, that is your right and if there are key Tivo features you just can't live without then by all means find a place that will give you that. But DirecTV ain't the place for that, that horse left the barn years ago and ain't coming back, it's in the glue factory. If you'd listen to the DirecTV quarterly calls or the 2 year plan investor call earlier this year you'd realize that Tivo isn't even a whisper in their plans.

I admire the want for it but it's a lot of wasted effort really. Over half a million DirecTivo's were unsubbed last year and that number only accelerates. Yet DirecTV grows, not shrinks. If it were the other way around then you might have some teeth behind your effort.

Anyway, good luck. Unfortunately a few hundred/thousand Tivo diehards aren't going to convince DirecTV, pushing 18 *million* subs, nearly half of which are using the DirecTV inhouse DVR, to switch back to Tivo. But again, good luck!

17. Aug 12, 2008 #17 of 286
    20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    That's an interesting point you just made, intended or not.

18. Aug 12, 2008 #18 of 286
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I've had several direcTiVos since 2002 including the SAT-T60, SD DVR120, R10 and HR10-250. In fact I still have the HR10-250 although it is only used for SD at this point. I really like the TiVO interface but I also like the HR2* interface as well. I currently have an HR20-700 and an HR21-100. There are things I like better about the TiVo like DLBs but there are things I like better about the HR2* like the speed vs. TiVo and other DirecTV interactive features. All in all there isn't enough better about the TiVo IMO to warrant paying more for it. The DirecTV DVR does everything I need it to do.

I can certainly understand why people like TiVo and would like to see an opportunity for TiVo to compete in the satelite market but since it can't I will stick with DirecTV.

ETA: I have had the HR20 since October of 2006 so I think I have significant experience with both.

19. Aug 12, 2008 #19 of 286
    BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    shibby191 thanks for the comments, very interesting, and I was there with you back in 2001, still have 2 T60's subbed, each with 240 hours and ethernet. I use them for SD recording so can maximize HD on the HD DVR's.

I suppose I could probably learn to live with the HR20 if three things were addressed, not in the order of importance: The slow response to keypresses on the remote, annoying. Not losing the buffer when switching between tuners, this is major. I typically watch two football games at a time, I pause one, watch the other, pause it, go back to the first, blowing through the commercials and repeat the process until both games are over. I guess I could record them both but that's a waste of space and may cause a program to be deleted (especially in HD) to make room that I haven't seen yet. The Guide, TivO'S Guide where you see the upcoming 8 programs for a channel at a glance without having to constantly scroll right. And TiVo's Guide shows you 2 more channels at a time, not a biggy but nice.

IMO TiVo has done a much better job ergonomics's wise.

It's not just that I'm a die hard TiVo fan, I've had my differences with them, it's that the TiVo's user interface, and I hate to use this term, is much more user friendly IMO. And the reason DTV DVR's don't buffer both tuners is I believe due to copyright or patents, whatever. So the things I consider must have's, may not be in DTV DRV's for a long time to come.

If you don't try you'll never succeed. I live by the thought that nothing is really impossible, it's just takes a little longer.

20. Aug 12, 2008 #20 of 286
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I voted that I could care less because that ship has sailed. D* and me... have parted ways for good.

You've got to be kidding. Do you really think D* cares? If they have not seen enough of us leave by now then I'm sure they won't miss what few are left.