WandaVision and Required Classic TV Viewing

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Polcamilla, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001

Advertisements

My son is super-excited about the upcoming release of the WandaVision show on Disney+. He shared the trailer with the whole family and noted that it was "some kind of weird television history thing". When I watched it, I realized that it is paying homage to a bunch of classic television shows and suggested that, since he cares about tv production and filmmaking, that he would probably appreciate a great deal more if he watch some of the major influences for the show.

Because my kids have grown up in an era of hundreds of cable channels, TiVo, and streaming, they haven't really been exposed to the shows that ran in endless syndication on the UHF channels and so there is a lot they don't "get". For example, I'm pretty sure they have never seen an original Brady Bunch episode, and they looked at me like *I* was an alien when I tried to describe the premise of Mr. Ed and My Favorite Martian (we had a loooooong discussion about I Dream of Genie and how ripe it is for a reboot, with an actual Middle Eastern jinn character and a strongly science-minded NASA-employed astronaut).

So...uh...anybody got an idea of what specific shows that WandaVision is drawing on/influenced by?

I saw a lot of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Bewitched in the preview. We sat down and watched some episodes of Dick Van Dyke and the boy was genuinely surprised at how funny and smart and entertaining the show was ("Wow...that's SO much better than 'I Love Lucy!'" he said immediately after). He's game to watch a few episodes of anything that might be relevant.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    And I thought having seen all the MCU movies would be enough

:(

3. Polcamilla

Nov 7, 2001
    Then you probably don't want to know about the announcement about MCU Spiderman 3 (not to be confused with Sony Spiderman 3) and how they are planning to have Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone alongside Tom Holland....which adds several more hours/movies to a full MCU rewatch marathon.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Apparently, Dick Van Dyke was the classic sitcom advisor for WandaVision so that’s a good start. I’m not sure what else might be covered. I think Roseanne was mentioned, and they have a nosy neighbor and a witch so Bewitched seems like a given. I would guess some 70s shows like Brady Bunch or Partridge Family. Maybe they’ll draw from shows like Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie & Harriet.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

Hmmm. That was one weird trailer.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wow, might have to check that out!! Sounds like it could be fun.

What's interesting about syndication and UHF shows, is we now have the modern version of it. Take a look at what's happened to most of the basic cable channels, USA, FX, AMC and others. They have a bit of "new content" but mostly it's endless episodes of older content, NCIS, CSI, 2000's sitcoms and so forth. They've realized that this content is generally cheaper than producing their own content and it gets eyeballs So instead of a couple of local independent OTA channels we used to have back in the day, we now have DOZENS of channels showing syndicated reruns.

And if you still want to watch the old stuff, we have METV among others showing that content too.

And of course NONE of that even includes streaming options.

7. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Go troll through TVTropes.org for period shows. Like married folks in twin beds, wife was the home maker, no toilets in restrooms, etc.

--Carlos V.

8. ncbill

ncbill Well-Known Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    Definitely the Brady Bunch with that couch and brick behind it.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Aside from the classic tv shows, what Marvel stuff do these characters come from? Anything we need to know about these characters before watching this show?

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Avengers movies and probably a zillion comic books

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Can this be self contained or do I need to go back and watch any movie for background? Or maybe we just don't know yet?

12. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Seems important to know Wanda's and Vision's powers and personalities before venturing into this mind-warping show where you can't be sure of their reality. Also seems like knowing their history, pain, and loss would add depth. Wanda and her brother appeared briefly in a Winter Soldier (2014) post credit scene, but that's not essential. Recommended: Avengers Age of Ultron (2015), Captain America Civil War (2016), Infinity War (2018), and Endgame (2019). Especially the last two. Or not.

JYoung likes this.
  13. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
  14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Thanks. I really should watch Ultron. I've seen the others. I think I never watched it because it wasn't on streaming services I subscribed to and for some reason I kinda just skipped over that one. I never felt like I had much of an idea who these characters are. Maybe I just have a bad memory ;)

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I asked my son the Marvel expert what to watch to "introduce me" to the characters, and he suggested Ultron, so he gave me the disc (better sound field than on D+) I'll watch over the weekend

DancnDude likes this.
  16. Polcamilla

Nov 7, 2001
    Fun fact: Scarlet Witch is also in the X-Men movies, but is a completely different character played by a completely different actress. And X-Men: Days of Future Past should be considered essential viewing because...uh...it's a really great movie (that happens to be completely unconnected to the MCU).

Turtleboy likes this.
  17. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Really? Which character? I thought maybe that was Halston Sage's appearance in Dark Phoenix, but I looked it up and she was Dazzler.

They were going to give some version of Wanda scenes in Days of Future Past, but wound up including only her brother Quicksilver (and naming him Peter Maximov instead of Pietro).

She did cross over in print many times back in the day, and as in the movie her father was Magneto and none of them knew it.

18. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    DancnDude and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  19. Polcamilla

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah...my bad. Apparently they just had her twin brother in the X-Men movies.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm guessing that I Dream of Jeannie probably doesn't age well with some.

A military officer enslaves a sexy young woman (she has to call him "Master").

You see the problem.

1Scooby1 likes this.