Walking Dead - Episode 2 - OAD 11/07/2010

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mike Wells, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 93
    Mike Wells

Mike Wells 24601

Mar 9, 2000
    Chesterfield...

Advertisements

So far so good-

One annoyance I had so far - the coincidences. "I used to work for in the city zoning office..." (what are the odds!)

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 93
    Mike Wells

Mike Wells 24601

Mar 9, 2000
    Chesterfield...
    And there is the gore...

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 93
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Pretty dramatic break from the comic in this episode... and *gasp* it was still awesome! Glenn is perfectly cast. Perfect.

4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 93
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Man, I thought some of that stuff was disgusting in the comic book. If you want to meet your full gross-out potential, live-action is the way to go! :D

5. Nov 7, 2010 #5 of 93
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

Glen is my favorite character from the comic, so I'm glad they cast him right.

6. Nov 7, 2010 #6 of 93
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's really good to see Andrew Lincoln in this role. I was a fan from back in 1996/97 during the "This Life" days when he played Egg.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 93
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Damn-that escape sequence was intense-my wife was going bezerk! It's interesting how they are "fleshing" out the story from the comic-so to speak.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 93
    net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    florida
    This show is good. Next thing I know, it's over. I need to build up some episodes I think. I thought they were a little to casual with avoiding the whole "don't get any on your skin" thing. There was a lot of stuff on those collars...but intense. Seriously intense.

This week's entry code to win a walk on role as a zombie is: HUNGRY :D

9. Nov 8, 2010 #9 of 93
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That's stagger-on role, not walk-on role. :)

10. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Wow, that was gruesome--ugh!

But, I thought this episode was really good. Not quite as well-done as the first but definitely this show is still very high on the "must watch immediately" list.

I'm not sure I would have bothered to handcuff that guy. Rick had the rifle and the guy was clearly a problem: so now you've cuffed him: in what situation could you uncuff him and feel safe? Better to just fire a shot and be done with it completely. Unless there's some kind of miracle the best outcome for him now would be to die of dehydration or starvation; the worst is to be eaten alive by zombies. The gunshot where he didn't even see it coming would be better all the way around.

They sure seem to be setting Shane up to be unlikeable, but he's completely right in this situation: what's the point of going Rambo-ing into the city to try to rescue that group? You have no idea if they're even alive and no expectation you could ever get there, much less get back out again. And, as it turned out, they likely would have been back at camp, safe, while you were getting your butt chewed on by zombies.

I definitely called the rendezvous in the woods, though. That was too obvious to be tension-inducing. Also the rain was obviously going to be an issue given all the thunder throughout the episode... but Rick and Glenn walking through zombies was still very creepy.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was hoping for a more consistent explanation of how zombies tell the living from the dead. Maybe something along the lines of telepathy. Because not smelling decaying flesh (through a nose of decaying flesh) in the middle of a pack of decaying zombies, is hardly a consistent explanation for how the zombies detect the living so accurately, so quickly, and from so far away. I would have had no problem with telepathy, since zombies are already magic to some extent -- there is no scientific way to explain how thousands of zombies have the energy to walk around the city when there is so little food. But I can accept that they were infected by some magic virus. I just wish the writers had gone with that and given the zombies magic telepathy or something. Then you could disguise yourself by cutting off a zombie's head and carrying it in a sack to broadcast the all clear. :D

This episode had some fast moving zombies. Particularly the one that climbed the fence and chased the truck. But a bunch of them were actually running towards the fence, and also running through the building to the loading dock. Did they move that fast in the comic?

12. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    One of the perks of surviving an apocalypse, is getting to drive fast cars on empty highways. That scene works every time.

I'm enjoying the show. I realize the story was written before a lot of the more recent zombie movies appeared, but it still seems derivative at times. But, it's a competently made genre piece. There are a few little annoyances of plot and character, but their accumulation isn't enough to ruin my enjoyment.

The zombie gore didn't really bother me, which is kind of weird. I didn't really think about it. I guess because zombie lives have no value for me, and there's just so much zombie gore out there lumbering around on two legs, you just kind of have to get used to it real quick if you're going to live in that world (or watch it on television). The scavenging party should probably be over their squeamishness too at this point.

There are other things you'd think you'd have to learn real quick if you find yourself in an end of the world type situation, like how to take the safety off on a gun--especially if you volunteer for a dangerous mission. Funny how that lady whipped that gun out and stuck it in Rick's face and threatened to kill him the moment he came through the door, but when unlikely-ultra-committed-super-racist goes nuts and kicks the crap out of everybody, she and her gun disappear.

Yeah, he was immediately identifiable as a future plot complication. The character was so over the top it was almost comical. He managed to insult Mexicans, blacks, women, and gays in the same tirade--never mind the oncoming mass of zombies, he has his priorities. He more than earned an execution with his violence and threat of future violence. And he'll no doubt be an enemy of the good folk over the coming eps, but one with a human intelligence that the undead enemies lack. Shoulda thrown him over the side.

Chekhov's grenade?

13. nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Comic book zombie info below.
    No, and that's driving me crazy so far. In the comic they make it very well known that the zombies are very slow and dumb. They would never use a rock to smash a window, climb a fence or run. Something they always say in the comic is that if you come across a roamer that you can't kill, just run because they can't keep up with you.

14. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    So, wait: being able to smell the living, say, a block away, which lots and lots of animals can do in real life, is hard to take and you'd prefer that the undead have... telepathy?!?! It's not like we've seen them smell out the living miles away... they are attracted by loud noises that can be heard a long ways away, then when closer they can differentiate the living from the dead by smell. in fact we know from the fact that Glenn has been able to get in and out of the city undetected, multiple times, just by being sneaky that zombies' sense of smell is not unbelievably acute.

Well, they did paper it over by showing us he was high on cocaine--that always makes people freak out like that, don'tcha know!

15. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Seriously. I kept waiting for that. A little frustrating, as a viewer!

16. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I would still have gone with the approach of killing all the zombies. Stand on top of a building and drop heavy items onto them. Drop liquid and light them on fire. Use the alley approach and take on the 1-2 zombies at a time. Do this over and over for a few months and it SHOULD dent the population right? :)

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, how long can it take to kill six billion zombies?!?

18. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    If you kill two at a time it will only take half as long.

19. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
    A strong second episode.

But I do agree with nrrhgreg's spoiler. And I was hoping that she show would end on a semi cliffhanger with Rick getting back to camp and finding Lori alive. But I guess we'll get that next episode?

It's hard to imagine that there are 4 episodes left.

20. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Not all 6 BILLION are in the noise range of Atlanta downtown are they? :)
    Goal would be to clear the downtown area for the most part. Then setup building to building access so humans can travel between several buildings and have access to things like food, etc...