Walking Dead - Ep. 3 - OAD 11/14/2010

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by net114, Nov 15, 2010.

1. net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    florida

Advertisements

Hmm. Didn't like this episode as well as the first two. Just didn't seem like there was a lot going on, but I guess they needed to spend some time advancing the family situation storyline, and less on action. I'm assuming this was a budget decision, because we hardly saw any walkers this episode. I predicted what the cliff hanger was going to be during the first minute. Still enjoyed it, but just not as much as the previous episodes.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I predicted it way back when the hacksaw first fell onto the roof. This show is so cliched, it seemed a Mad Max hacksaw to the wrist was nearly certain (never mind the fact that few people could cut through their wrist and remain conscious, let alone do it faster than sawing through a bolt or handcuff chain, and then not bleed to death).

3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    There definitely wasn't as much action in this one but I still liked it a lot. The hand severing was pretty obvious but it's hard to believe he would have gone that way instead of cutting the cuffs or the bolt. Maybe he tried but the saw wasn't up to it.

The big question is, where'd he go? I mean you'd think if there was another way off that roof the zombies would have used it to get up. Also, why were no zombies left in the stairway? Surely the smell of the hand would have kept them there. Ah well.

I could see that Ed was choosing a really bad time to cause trouble, when Shane was in such a foul mood. Still I find it hard to sympathize. But, if he hooks up with Merle and Daryl that could be some trouble.

I also called it that Shane was the one that told Lori Rick was dead. I wonder if he really believed it at the time, and did it to keep Lori from trying a doomed attempt to rescue Rick (we saw in the first episode that she has a tendency to make those attempts, and that Shane wants to stop her), or whether he just wanted to get her away? It seems like the former to me. It also appears that Shane and Lori didn't have a relationship before the zombies came, after all.

4. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Which says something about Lori, that she would get involved with Shane so soon after her husband's death. And then drop Shane again (and not kindly) once Rick comes back. Shane having told Lori that Rick was dead does not make much of a difference in my opinion of how Lori has behaved.

5. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004

Advertisements

Needs more zombies.

As annoying as Racist #1 is to me, I have to praise the actor, that was a pretty fine performance.

So far, the minor characters are mostly flat and uninteresting--Racist#2, Mr Misogynist, The Suffragettes, Henry Fonda. They do nothing for me. The major characters aren't much better.

The whole frog hunting business was a little ham-handed--you and me kid, like Andy and Opey, nothing'll come between us!

The family reunion was underwhelming.

Shane wears his pants too high and his accent sucks, but otherwise he's an okay dude. He did what a best friend is supposed to do in an end of the world type scenario--take the wife and kid as his own. He should fess up to Rick, but not apologize, and move on to the hot suffragette. Lori can eat a zombie ****.

6. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    I don't know if I would go that far. All Lori said that Shane told her that Rick was dead.

Rick and Lori also talked about having hard times before. I think the question is still up in the air.

7. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Great episode with focus on characters and not zombies. It'll be interesting to see how Rooker got off the building. When you're life's in danger, why wouldn't you be able to cut your wrist off? Adrenaline is at an all time high. Hope he had a tetanus shot recently. My only beef was the introduction of another stereotype. Hopefully, Ed just served his purpose of being Shane's punching dummy.

I love how we're trying to rationalize behavior in a zombie tale.

8. nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    My big problem with this episode: zombies shouldn't be able to climb stairs.

Other than that I liked it. Much closer to the comics with a bigger focus on the characters and their issues.

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Totally disagree with that...makes a BIG difference. I can understand how she would gravitate to Shane convinced that her husband is dead; after all his best friend told her that he was "dead".

And I'm glad they didn't drag the family reunion out over several eps.

I thought this was a great episode.

Maybe they took the elevator?

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Why? In the original Night of the Living Dead, the zombies were able to take the steps up onto the porch of the house. If they can do two steps, they can do more.

11. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    was wondering the same myself.

Cut the handcuff chain ... or the old, rusty, small diameter pipe he was cuffed to. .... Nah, ... "I'll cut my hand off" .... he definitely wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer ... so maybe he's just stupid?

maybe he had help?

should be ... or might be .. interesting to see how all this is "explained."

12. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Especially since, when he was kicking the big pipe, it was moving. I'm thinking "just keep kicking it, knucklehead, and it'll give way soon enough..."

13. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Actually, if you're in a hurry, because you don't know if the door will hold, wrist is your best option. The lack of any blood on the ground or near the hand was more interesting to me. Was it his hand? Or did he just break his thumb/hand to slide from the cuffs?

14. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    It looked like there was plenty of blood on the handcuffs that were still cuffed to the pipe and hanging there. I couldn't tell about blood on the ground. But, good question. It could have been dried up, and the low camera angle at the end, coupled with the brief view, made it hard to see the ground real good.

I did note that the chain and padlock were still intact at the door to the roof, but did wonder about the ricketty bracket that held it to the door. That brackett that was screwed to the door looked like it was ready come off with just a little effort. I guess it held though.

15. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Only if you learned all you know about the world from Mad Max or the like.

16. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I didn't really understand the lack of blood near the hand, either. The whole severed hand should have been red with blood, not to mention the area around where he was. I also am not sure where the stairwell zombies were. The chain was still on the door, so it's not like he fought his way past them to get out - there were no stairwell zombie corpses. Where did they go? Did they disperse so quickly? He certainly wasn't being quiet, and they could see him, so I'm surprised if so. He must have taken some other route off the roof - maybe there's an alternate way down that wasn't shown in the prior episode. Or who knows - maybe the helicopter from near the end of episode 1 spotted him and picked him up. It seemed like in the last episode, just one day prior, there was a horde of zombies at the door, heading up the stairwell, etc. Rick and crew got out of there by the skin of their collective teeth. Yet 24 hours later there was just one roamer amongst the clothing racks? I guess zombies aren't much for shopping.

17. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I wouldn't say it's the best option. Only if you're super screwed, should one consider it.

Like if the rod he was handcuffed to was made from some super hard to cut material, and the zombies are busting through the door, however that didn't appear to be the case. First of all it would be so painful that you'd probably feint/black out from it, and you risk bleeding to death, infection, etc. etc.

18. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    We're all overthinking this -- a zombie got to him....and munched on everything but the hand...licking up all the blood....

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...and then picking up the hacksaw, remembering he was a zombie who has no use for a hacksaw, and dropping it next to the hand.

20. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Zombie left the hacksaw there on purpose to confuse the humans....

I love this show...I can see the ep threads will be adventures....:D