1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead "A New Beginning" S9 E1 OAD 10-07-18

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Oct 8, 2018 #1 of 54
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Only comment I'll make was to see the character Gregory left hanging on the end of a rope.

2. Oct 8, 2018 #2 of 54
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I hate to say that starting this season I am going to read the episode threads first and if it sounds like anything interesting happened I will go and actually watch it. I am so tired of this show just dragging me along.

Sorry, that will be my last negative comment about this show.

Tony_T, DevdogAZ, rgr and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oct 8, 2018 #3 of 54
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah, going down hill, not as good as it once was yada yada yada. But I've watched up till now, I'm not going to stop. It's about 45 minutes a week (a bit longer last night) for 8 weeks at a time. Not a shock to see Gregory get it but satisfying anyway.

lynncosbm likes this.
  4. Oct 8, 2018 #4 of 54
    jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I still look forward to the show, but these past couple seasons seem to be just a lot of talking with the occasional action sequence. I really miss those first couple of seasons when it was the complete opposite.

5. Oct 8, 2018 #5 of 54
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Last season did it for me...I'm out.

6. Oct 8, 2018 #6 of 54
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think it is ironic that the episode is called "A New Beginning" yet it was so filled with the same old same old - Saviors are a threat - Negan is looming over them - Gregory is an idiot.

Not to mention - they are OK with capital punishment for Gregory but Negan remains locked up in a cell? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I was actually pissed off at the opening titles - every season has changed slightly (and been very entertaining) but it always ended with the same shot of a walker in a field. That crap animation looks like the bad zombie screen saver I have on my computer...
    Cutting the walker in the field really got me irritated!

Ya know people are always saying that on this board and I think your memory is playing tricks on you - The Walking Dead has ALWAYS been people sitting around talking and then intense action sequences.
    Maybe not so much in Season 1 & 2 - but my remembrance of the season on Hershel's farm is that is was WAY more sitting around talking than anything else.

Speaking of which...
    RIP to Scott Wilson who played Hershel who passed away on Saturday of Leukemia.

lynncosbm likes this.
  7. Oct 8, 2018 #7 of 54
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Different judges. Maggie would have killed Negan as well. She did spare the old man who initially tried to kill her first.

VegasVic likes this.
  8. Oct 8, 2018 #8 of 54
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And of course that remains a point of contention for her...she still refuses to go to Alexandria because of it.

jcondon likes this.
  9. Oct 8, 2018 #9 of 54
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The theme of this season will be "Insurrection".

10. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I don't even remember any of that. What old man?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The old man that Gregory manipulated into attacking Maggie. Whose son was killed on the scavenging mission to DC (and who bizarrely blamed Maggie for his death).

But I was talking about Negan, who is being held prisoner in Alexandria, for which reason Maggie refuses to go there.

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    As long as they show new episodes, I'll probably continue to watch. But, as has been mentioned, it's not what it once was.

When Gregory and Maggie were fighting, I realized that I didn't really care if Gregory killed Maggie. A couple of years ago, I probably would have wept.

13. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I see the helicopter has made it into the opening montage.

14. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Well, you answered my question. First, I know she spared the old man who tried to kill her in this episode. I confused what was posted to mean there was an old man in Alexandria she spared. Second, what I couldn't remember was why she didn't want to be in Alexandria. Now I know. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  15. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Based on the reviews I'd read, I expected better. Of course Season 9 starts off with another idiot plan. You have to go to the Smithsonian to get a horse-drawn wagon and some plows? And drag them across a glass floor? Just so much stupid.
    I mean, all of these communities are in super-rural Northern Virginia (Ha!), right? (Except Oceanside, I suppose) There must be a bunch of farms they can pillage.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  16. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Well, they needed old-school, horse-drawn farm tools, which are mostly found in museums and Amish country, because they are running out of fuel. But how they found so many horses... who knows! And these horse-drawn farm tools aren't that complicated. You'd think they wouldn't really need a museum example to build them, especially with all the modern farm equipment that must be abundant.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe not in a world where the word "zombie" doesn't exist, but in our world we have these things called "books" which can be quite useful in such situations... :D

(In fact, there's a relatively recent genre of books filled with information for after the collapse of civilization...)

18. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Yeah, good point. Going to the library would have been much much easier! Speaking of which, what happened to the book of knowledge from last season? Guess a "book of medieval human achievement" isn't all that useful! Especially when there are libraries everywhere with lots of books on human achievement throughout history!

19. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    If only Jesus was a carpenter....

gweempose, Hank and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Agreed.

I’m still hate watching this show after 8 seasons.

VegasVic likes this.