Walking Dead 11/28/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spikedavis, Nov 29, 2010.

1. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

As a fan of the comic, I love how Jim's story was nearly exactly the same, but I hated the scene with Andrea and Amys body. In the comic, Andrea just almost immediately shoots Amy before she has the chance to turn.

I loved the scene of Rick and Shane in the woods-that turned out differently in the comic-but I love how Dale caught Shane.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That would have made more sense. No matter how sad you are about your sister's death, it is just completely insane to rub yourself all over with her infected blood and then hug and kiss her as she tries to bite into your flesh.

I cringed when the lady kissed the infected guy that they left by the tree. If this virus managed to wipe out as many people as it seems to have done, it has to be highly communicable. It couldn't have spread mostly by zombie bites. The only way that all of this could make sense is if many of the survivors have some sort of immunity to the virus. But they cannot know that, and it seems unlikely anyway, especially now that the one guy caught it.

I certainly hope that they will finally start talking about what happened next episode, with the CDC guy. It has become totally absurd that no one has discussed the events and progression of the virus and the devastation of the world. Nobody is asking the right questions or talking about the right things.

3. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    In 28 Days Later, just getting a drop of the infected blood's in your body would enough-but I think it's safe to assume that in The Walking Dead's universe-just getting the blood on you won't do anything. It has to be through bite.

In the comics....
    It's eventually determined that anyone that dies-regardless of the cause of death will come back as a zombie. And no-blood won't do anything, which is good, because they go about slicing and dicing all the time.

4. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    In which case it is very hard to explain how apparently 99.9+% of the world population is dead. Pandemic outbreaks don't spread that widely and quickly just from zombie bites.

5. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004

Advertisements

The Jensen character is interesting. Tired of being alone, but the newbies aren't a cure for loneliness--they're fresh samples. At least that's how I read it. That storyline saved the episode for me. The new point of view was refreshing.

The good guys continue to make tactical errors. Send a scout party, not the whole family.

Body disposal should be old hat to these folks by now. If they're really going to kill off a bunch of people in this series, I hope we don't have to experience the 5 stages of grief with each character--it's exhausting.

Didn't buy Shane's little moment in the woods. Obviously these two are being set up to knock heads in the future, but the writer's didn't earn that gun-pointing moment.

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    EASY to explain away. The virus started out airborne. Mutated to zombie bites once it wiped out the population and turned them into carriers.

7. nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Why should the characters on the show care why this happened? All they know is that everyone they knew have turned into effing zombies and they just have to survive. The characters couldn't care less about why it happened. And we joined the main group over a month after it started, who's to say they haven't already talked about it?

This is the same "problem" people had with Lost, since the shows apparently being compared to that even though they're nothing alike. Who cares where certain things on the island came from? Where those places/things came from, and what caused the zombie apocalypse, don't matter because the characters we're watching don't care.

8. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Well, they should care because if they know the origins of whatever happened, it may provide a clue to stop the spread of the disease, provide immunity from zombie bites or whatever.

Besides, if I'm woken out of a month long coma and the whole world has turned into zombies, that's the FIRST question I'm going to ask someone, anyone, who's not a zombie. "What the hell happened???"

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I've never read the comic, but I'm guessing some of the cinematic images are meant to mirror the comic book? Like the convoy driving away leaving Jim on the hill, or the CDC doors opening with everyone silhouetted in that bright light?

Also, is the Wildfire program at the CDC a reference/homage to the Wildfire compound in Michael Crichton's "Andromeda Strain?" Very similar topic, biological infection research ...

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Actually, the CDC scene is new to the TV series. I'm not sure about the Jim scene (I'm at the office, my books are at home).

Somebody on a comic book site made an interesting observation...he believes (rightly, I think) that Merle
    ends up being The Governor, the main villain for a certain stretch of the comic book series.

11. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Tidbit: They used "Adagio In D Minor" from the movie Sunshine in this ep, written by John Murphy, who also did the soundtrack for 28 Days Later. I only recognized it because it was used in a LOST fan video that I liked, so I had to look it up today, but that theme has been used a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine:_Music_from_the_Motion_Picture

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I meant, hard to explain reasonably. It makes no sense for the virus to lose the ability to spread by anything but zombie bites. What would cause selection of that trait?

13. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Beyond simple curiosity, there is the obvious reason that if you understand what happened, you have a better chance of surviving, and of figuring out what to do next.

Also, it may be useful to know why these particular people survived when so many others did not. It certainly does not appear to be that most of them are particularly clever and made decisions that allowed them to survive. Maybe they were just lucky, but perhaps there is some other explanation.

14. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    :shrug: Why is rabies only spread by a bite? Who knows, who cares. Either you buy into it or you don't.

15. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I enjoyed the episode again. However it just feels like they don't have enough time, both in each episode and the whole season. Clearly the story is not going to wrapped up next week so they must have been banking on renewal. It really seems like a show that wold work better in a UK like 90 minute or more format.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The comic book explanation, which makes sense in this context, is spoiled above. So there IS a logical explanation, it just hasn't been given in the show yet.

17. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm talking about natural selection. In a pool with various traits, some having occurred by random mutation, the traits that increase the likelihood of survival and reproduction tend to be selected for relative to the ones that do not.

The spread of rabies is well known, and many people do care. But rabies never swept the globe, infecting 99.9% of the population in a matter of months. If it had, then it would indeed be difficult to explain what selection pressures would cause the primary transmission to shift to the slower method of saliva and bites.

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't understand how this is a logical explanation for how the virus would switch from a highly communicable transmission method to only being transmitted by zombie bites.

Are the survivors already infected, but they have an immunity? Are there multiple viruses, some that cause death, others that just hang around until after death? Is there some highly prevalent airborne virus that only infects dead bodies?

19. xuxa

xuxa Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Darabont in interviews says the show was shot to wrap things up in case they didn't get picked up, did not want to cheat the viewer.

20. nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Comic spoilers about turning below
    In the comic EVERY one already has the zombie virus. Something, it hasn't been revealed yet and may never be, activated the virus so that it turns you into a zombie no matter how you die. A zombie bite doesn't turn you into a zombie, it just causes an infection that kills you in a matter of days. In the comic everyone that dies, whether it be by bite, gunshot, etc., turns into a zombie as long as their brain is in tact. So far there hasn't been anyone that hasn't turned after they died unless they were shot/stabbed in the head.