'Waking Up' and Live TV issue with Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by s.lampe, May 1, 2016.

1. May 1, 2016 #1 of 11
    s.lampe

s.lampe New Member

Feb 18, 2016

Advertisements

Has anyone else recently been seeing their Bolt having issue with Waking up? It's been happening about once a week lately and I usually know because my Mini's are unable to stream Live TV anymore. Pulling the plug has been my fix but I'm wondering if others have seen this happen. I've since turned power savings off, not sure if that will help or not but I'm getting tired of having to pull the plug and reboot it.

2. xtwo007

xtwo007 New Member

May 20, 2016
    hello- how did you end up alleviating this? mine is starting to do the same. the minis will not be able to access tuners for live TV, but can still access recorded content. Then like you say, when checking the Bolt, it never wakes up and have to power cycle.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Which remote button are you hitting to wake up the Bolt? If it's in Standby due to power saving (or explicit Standby), a Mini should still work for live TV but I see a message "Looking for a Tuner" for about 15 seconds. I have never needed to restart or power cycle either box.

Like it says, hit TiVo or Live TV to wake up a Bolt. Other buttons are ignored. Well TV power works too.

4. xtwo007

xtwo007 New Member

May 20, 2016
    using the tivo button. it says its trying to wake up, but never does, forcing a power cycle. strange thing is- minis can access the recordings, but not a tuner. i get the searching for a tuner message, and then something about not being able to connect to the DVR. which is untrue since the recordings work fine. not sure what the issue is, but it seems to happen ever time the bolt goes into standby now. was working fine previously.

edit: i've resorted to preventing it from going into standby. is there a way to prevent it from consuming a tuner when not in use (~90% of the time). i assume playing a recording would release the tuner, is there any other way?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  5. May 7, 2017 #5 of 11
    cnewsgrp

cnewsgrp New Member

Feb 9, 2010

Advertisements

I am having same problem. TiVo is stuck in "Waking Up" so main TiVo is unusable. Mini can access recordings but no tuners

6. May 7, 2017 #6 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini only uses a tuner when on Live TV. I always put mine into Standby because even though the four hour time out applies, an EAS test or alert can place the Mini on-line.

7. figsys

figsys New Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Started having the same problem with a 6 month old Bolt. Bolt displays "Waking Up", remote light flashing and even the find remote feature works. Happened once a week last few weeks and now after only 2 days. Is this a known issue?

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I have neither seen nor heard of reports about a Bolt "not waking up" like this thread. Thee IS a known bug in the current software release that involves the Bolt not responding properly to a remote connection while asleep, but that bug is actually just the opposite of these symptoms.

With that known bug, if a Bolt is asleep/inactive, a Mini cannot initially connect to it to see/watch any recorded content, but it CAN grab a tuner and stream live TV. Also, after the Mini gives the Bolt a b-slap by grabbing the tuner, the Bolt straightens up for a while and the Mini can access recorded programs like normal. With this problem, preventing any power-saving sleep has been a complete workaround while waiting for the next software release to fix it.

9. xxsj

xxsj _

Jun 21, 2016
    I am having trouble with my 500gb white bolt freezing on the “Waking up...” screen, but haven’t noticed any issues with my Mini VOX 4k.

What can be done about this?

10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Don't put it to sleep?

Seriously, the 'power savings' is so negligible that you can probably not even detect it...

-KP

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Even putting it into standby has issues that weren't a problem until a about a year ago.
    I put my TiVo's into standby religiously for years and years, then suddenly they started having issues talking to the other TiVo's (Bolt and Roamios), so I just leave them on, no issues other than bright LED's at night when I'm trying to sleep.