Wait for Christmas or Buy now TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fatlard, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Oct 4, 2007 #1 of 16
    fatlard

    fatlard New Member

    226
    0
    Jun 30, 2003
    Well, Amazon has a great price for Tivo HD.

    Do you think I should wait for further discounts on Tivo HD or should I just buy now?

    I figure if I wait then cable cards (M) will be available more.

    Also might get holiday discounts on TIvo HD during the holidays.
     
  2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 16
    20TIL6

    20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

    861
    0
    Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I already have one, and I am waiting until Christmas to buy another one. But I am not waiting because I think the TiVo HD will get a holiday discount. I'm waiting because I'll be getting a new TV with it, and I think the TV's will be discounted.
     
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #3 of 16
    steve614

    steve614 what ru lookin at?

    10,722
    0
    May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going to wait to get my TivoHD.
    Unless a great deal comes up (*hint Tivo* like another lifetime transfer offer */hint Tivo*), I can stand to wait awhile.

    By the time I get one, software version will probably be 10.1 ! :D
     
  4. Oct 4, 2007 #4 of 16
    jtrain

    jtrain New Member

    174
    0
    Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    I'd wait until Nov. 26th...Amazon has a price adjustment policy that if the price drops on a product you bought in the subsequent 30 days, they'll refund you the difference. That way, you'd have that back up should the price drop during the Christmas shopping period...just a thought


    EDIT: I did just notice that right now Amazon.com has it for $50 off retail + free shipping...not sure what the rules are regarding price discussion...so I won't post the price...
     
  5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 16
    Billy66

    Billy66 Again with shoelaces

    3,273
    0
    Dec 15, 2003
    Now fatlard. the fall season is just gearing up. By Christmas you won't remember how you lived without it.

    If you're sure this is the right unit for you, get it now.
     
  6. Oct 4, 2007 #6 of 16
    fatlard

    fatlard New Member

    226
    0
    Jun 30, 2003
    Well, I can't see it falling below $199.99 per unit at Christmas. At the current price at Amazon.com, I will only be saving ~$53 dollars. I guess it is not that big of a deal.

    So do I wait 3 months for it? Nah. I just bought it. I should see it in two weeks.. now for a 500GB HD.
     
  7. Oct 4, 2007 #7 of 16
    Billy66

    Billy66 Again with shoelaces

    3,273
    0
    Dec 15, 2003
    You did the right thing. Enjoy!
     
  8. Oct 5, 2007 #8 of 16
    ThatBozGuy

    ThatBozGuy New Member

    33
    0
    Oct 13, 2006
    So last week I finally went out and got a tivohd ( already have a s2dt ) It wasnt a price point decision for me, The HD did reach my sweet spot on the price when it came out, no way I was going to pay 800 for an s3, but the choice to pull the trigger last week was interestingly double edged.

    I had waited longer even after the price point of $300 and the reason is mrv and ttg, I use my s2 as a central entertainment hub and without it I just couldn't see getting a new machine.

    With the announcment that ttg was coming to the tivohd I went ok Ill bite when they activate it in november.

    So why you ask did I pull the trigger last weekend, because I believe the ttg and mrv functions are what ALOT of people are waiting for before they upgrade, I mean why pay more for something to downgrade your ability, But and this was the kicker, when those functions go active there is going to be a huge wave of adopters as well as the christmas gift crowd and everyone of them is going to swamp the cable companies for cablecards, most of those companies cant get it right already or are out of stock on the cards as much as they are in.

    So my answer and bet would be on BUY now, price may drop a few bucks between now and then, but you will save money by not being one of the casualties of missed or failed install appointments and major backlogs on cablecard installs which is definitely going to ramp up to even worse levels then they already are in the following 12 weeks.

    And thats why I bought NOW. Im glad I did even without the cards (install is monday) its a great machine.
     
  9. Oct 5, 2007 #9 of 16
    yunlin12

    yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

    1,223
    0
    Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Already have the S3, can't wait till they turn on the TTG/MRV, then I'll get another THD. For now, need to keep the S2DT for TTG purposes.
     
  10. peteypete

    peteypete New Member

    663
    0
    Feb 2, 2004
    I think if you have HD aready, do not wait. If not maybe wait. At most gets discounted $50, but I doubt it.
     
  11. d_anders

    d_anders Sr Legacy Member

    860
    26
    Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    For the past two years, the best time of year to buy a TV is Thankgiving Weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun). I bought first ever (and only to this point) HD set last year, and I had been studying the pricing in the stores and Sunday advertisements for 2 months prior...When I got my Thanksgiving paper, I couldn't believe the prices across the board.

    At the time I was set on buying a 720 based set, because I didn't want to pay the $1000 premium at the time, so I set my buying threshold to under $2000.

    As it turned out last Thanksgiving, Sony made news based on how they slashed their prices close to $600-$1000 on some sets to push the incentive for P3's, etc. I didn't buy a P3, but I bought a 50" 1080p lcd based projection set that normally sold for $2399-$2599, and I got it for $1799. I only saw that exact same model drop down to $1899 throughout the year, and then when the new incremental model came out, prices were back up to $2299-2399.
     
  12. 20TIL6

    20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

    861
    0
    Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    That's what I'm thinking. A black Friday deal. I'll be looking for a 26" or so LCD for my daughter. I'll get her a TiVo HD for it as well, but I'm thinking that a 26" LCD will be one of those deals the stores use to get folks in the store.
     
  13. nhaigh

    nhaigh Member

    984
    0
    Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...

    Me too. MRV means another S3.
     
  14. Stylin

    Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

    875
    17
    Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    I also bought my lcd last year on Black Friday, but since the S3 wasn't out yet, I hadn't tracked tivo prices. Does anyone remember if there were exceptional tivo price cuts during Thanksgiving? I'm definitely getting my HDtivo by Christmas, but would jump on it earlier if possible. ThatBozGuy has brought up some really good points I hadn't considered before.

    The other thing I wonder is what the price of a lifetimed HDTivo would go for?
     
  15. old64mb

    old64mb New Member

    76
    0
    Apr 11, 2005
    At absolute best you might see the HD at $150-175 (probably using a rebate that will never be sent to get it down there) at some Big Boxes at a loss to drive lines on Black Friday. Won't be Tivo that sells them at that price, and good luck getting one in the mob. The S3 went down about $100 after about two months - I remember because I got my replacement for about $75 cheaper than I'd spent on the original - and there it stayed through Thanksgiving, so I wouldn't expect major price cuts.

    I'd also not expect a lifetime transfer option for some time - if ever. Tivo has for years gotten an incredible amount of grief from shareholders to go to a recurring revenue mode (as they should have long, long before they did), and as long as the product is selling there's no need to blow their balance sheet up any further. The only reason S3s got sold with the option is that sales would have been, oh, 1/10th of what they were without the transfer option at that price point. I certainly wouldn't have bought one, let alone two. If there's another $800 product, maybe. Another product that's on the street for $250, just won't happen.

    I guess what it comes down to is whether or not there will be enough HD programming in the next few months to spend a potential extra $50 or $100. It's the same decision that I came up with in deciding to get the 1 TB drives for upgrades. I'd thought about waiting until they were under $200, but also realized that had I had them earlier I'd have been able to archive a couple full seasons of some great shows in HD.
     
  16. Stylin

    Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

    875
    17
    Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    Well since I'm hoping to eventually buy at least 3 units, the extra savings would really help out. I'm defnitely waiting for the 1TB hd sales for Black Friday. I'd gladly bave the mobs for TiVo lol!
    Sry I wasn't referring to a xfer deal. A friend has a grandfathered LT S1 (as do I) and I was thinking of buyng it from him and xfering the LT to TiVoHD strictly for resale.
     

Share This Page