VOX remote changes volume on BOTH TV and stereo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RegGuheert, Feb 27, 2020.

1. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Solved! See posts #7 and #8 below for details. Thanks!

I just upgraded to a new Bolt OTA from a Premiere. Love it!

I programmed the VOX remote (by pressing the TiVo and TV Pwr buttons followed by code 0238) to control my 2017 Sony Smart TV for On/Off, Input, Volume, and Mute functions. Then I programmed that same VOX remote (by pressing the TiVO and Mute buttons followed by code 1005) to control my ~2000 Sony surround receiver for Volume and Mute functions.

The result?

When I press Volume Up or Volume Down on the TiVo remote, BOTH the TV AND the surround receiver respond. Interestingly, Mute ONLY affects the surround receiver. TV Pwr and Input ONLY affect the TV, as expected.

What is desired?

My desire is that the TiVo remote controls the TV ONLY when I press the TV Pwr or the Input buttons and controls the surround receiver when I press Volume Up, Volume Down, or Mute.

Can this be done? If not, I will probably need to remove the programming for the TV and control it with its own remote.

Also, how do I know if I have used the correct codes for my devices? I'm wondering if one of them is using a universal Sony modulation scheme for volume control that his causing my problems.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering: No, the TV and surround receiver remotes do not control both devices: The TV ONLY responds to the TV remote and the surround receiver ONLY responds to the remote for the receiver.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, yes, the VOX remote works to control my Sony (40W600B) power and input. The remote controls my Yamaha AVR volume and mute.

I would reset the remote: https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...-Perform-a-Global-Reset-for-my-Remote-Control which means you will also have to re-pair the remote. The LED on the remote should be amber when it's paired.

Then I would program the TV. My code for Sony (I have 3) is 0136. Then follow the procedure for the AVR. I hate the supplied Sony remote so I use the XBR9 remote when needed.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How are the TV and AV connected?

4. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Thanks for the quick replies!

TV is connected to the surround receiver only by an optical link. The receiver predates HDMI connections, etc.

JoeKustra: I'm glad to hear that this, at least, CAN work. While I *think* I programmed my remote in the exact order you specified, including the global reset, I will try it again. (I had to do the global reset since I could not get the Bluetooth to pair with the DVR. Interesting that TiVo's troubleshooting guides gave no clue about that and I could only find the answer here...)

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm glad you're making progress. Pairing can be a challenge. I couldn't make pairing work with those new diagnostic screens. So I usually reset the remote, the initiate pairing with TiVo + Back. Remember that VOX uses BLE and Peanut remotes use RF2CE.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think you need to switch off the TV sound and use "through" AVR. in the TV settings.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Are you sure that the TV Speakers are getting louder?

Many TV/Receivers I've connected will indicate the Volume change on both the TV OSD and the Receiver OSD, giving a dual volume indication, but only the Receiver speakers are actually on.

If you turned off the CEC feature, that stops.

-KP

8. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    For future reference, the model TV I am using is a Sony KD-70X690E.
    I agree. I would love to turn off the TV sound if I could, but I haven't been able to find a way to do that. I was able to disable the TV speakers on the old Samsung that this TV replaced, but I haven't found a similar feature on the Sony. I can mute the TV, but Volume Up unmutes it.

What I have done for now for a workaround is to set (on the TV) Preferences->Sound->Volume Offset to "Min" which appears to be equivalent to "-6". Units are not given, but I will assume that is in dB. This workaround helps a lot because it requires the volume on the TV to be quite high before it becomes audible.
    Yes. I get double sound (kinda like an echo) as the volume of the TV comes up. I can easily see if the TV sound is really on by lowering the TV Volume using the remote that came with the TV to see that it changes.
    That was it! Problem fixed! Thank you!!

More detail:
    Turning off the CEC feature (TE4: TiVo->Menu->Settings->Remote & Devices->Remote Control Setup->Wake with TIVO button->No) fixed the problem! It looks like what was happening was the TiVo remote control was sending an IR command to the receiver AND was sending HDMI-CEC commands to the TV at the same time. Another benefit of turning off this feature is that when I use the TiVo (or TV) remote to turn off the TV, the TiVo no longer goes to sleep. Double win!

Thanks to all who responded for your help with this! This forum is great!

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Fortunately for me, my Samsung TV and Samsung soundbar seem to have sussed the sound issues all out between themselves automatically when I first hooked them up--so intervention by me was needed.