Vonage Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GooberMan, May 24, 2007.

1. GooberMan

GooberMan New Member

May 21, 2007
    Anderson, SC

Advertisements

The "Vonage question thread" link in the FAQ didn't work. I just purchased an old Series 2 on Ebay. What do I need to know to get it to dial out through Vonage?

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Now, if you have Vonage that implies that you have broadband internet.
    You have a Series2 TiVo. Why not just connect your Series2 TiVo via a broadband connection?

3. GooberMan

GooberMan New Member

May 21, 2007
    Anderson, SC
    1. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that you had to have a dial-up connection to do the initial setup of the box.
    2. I have no network drop in the room it's going in and haven't had much luck with wireless in that room in the past. Also, the initial setup won't work on wireless, correct?

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Initial setup will work with a broadband connection (wireless or not).

*This can depend on the software version on the box.

5. GooberMan

GooberMan New Member

May 21, 2007
    Anderson, SC

Advertisements

Okay, so if I get one with an older version of the software, how do I get it to work with Vonage? Network connections not considered, can it be used with Vonage?

6. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Vonage is a hit or miss with Tivo dial up. Some people are able to get it to work; others don't. For more info, go to the tivo.com support page and search for vonage.

Assuming the box has been used in the last two years, it's safe to assume you don't need phone set-up.

7. delphinus1966

delphinus1966 New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I had an older series 2 and 9 times out of 10 it would not work over my VOIP phone connection. I had to take it to work to do the initial setup and after that it worked great over my network. Good luck!

8. Pvgibbs

Pvgibbs New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    I found a fix that is working for my Sony SVR-2000 with Vonage.

I simply added *99, to the dialing prefix -- No DSL Filter, NYC phone number or call waiting prefix needed.

My local dial-in number is 425-453-5905

Hope that helps.