volume level help?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bnm81002, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    is there a way that I can level out the sound/volume on the channels of Directv? some channels are louder than others, I would like to stabilize a set level for the volume for all the channels, is there a device that I can get that will do this for me? or is there a "hack" that would also do this? thanks in advance

2. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Short of putting on an external audio compressor/limiter, I don't think there is much else you can do.

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Google "volume stabilizer". Avoid the Terk model.

4. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    thanks for the replies, any sugesstions on models and brands?

5. DVRaholic

DVRaholic I love my Series 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    I got this Sound regulator few weeks ago, hooked it up to my HR10-250 and it works great !!! I have the Terk on my other Tivo and its not nearly as good. The Terk just increases the volume on all channels, it doesnt even them out. Dont buy the Terk, its Junk

http://www.tvsoundregulator.com/

6. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

does it evens/levels the audio-volume for all channels? for example channel 4 is loud and channel 11 is low, does the regulator that you mentioned will even out the sound? thanks

7. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    How is the tv sound regulator connected?

8. Tburt

Tburt New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Houston, Tx
    It is connect via RCA cables to a small box that sits somewhere near the TV. Then RCA cables runs from the small box to the TV's RCA sound input. It will not work if you are using coax into the TV from the receiver. At least this is how the Terk version (the one I have) works. And it does boost the low sound channels up along with the high vol channels down. It is rare that I ever touch the vol buttons now.

9. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

when you said TV's RCA sound input, you mean the red and white connectors?
    so this regulator does work well huh?
    thanks

10. DVRaholic

DVRaholic I love my Series 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    Yes the TvSound regulator works great. I dont have to adjust my volume at all when changing channels.

As I said in my previous post I also have the Terk on my second tv. IMO the sound coming out of the TvSound regulator is much much better and richer, it sounds great hooked through my sound system. The terk just sounds Louder!

I have mine hooked up using just the included RCA sound plugs (red/white) and My Component video (not the included video)
    this way I can enjoy A Perfect picture and Now Perfect Sound as well!!

Check out the website, it will give you all the info on the TvSound regulator....

http://www.tvsoundregulator.com/html/works.htm

11. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I also found this unit made by Sima, it's a lilttle more expensive but it does have 4 inputs and 2 outputs plus a volume stabilizer built-in, model # SVS-4D, it's on their website simacorp.com under products- SIMA- home theater- A/V Selectors-SVS-4D, this seems good to me too because I can also connect a DVD player, a VCR and it would help stabilize the volume when playing DVD's or VCR tapes
    but it's around $120 though

12. Tburt

Tburt New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Houston, Tx
    Yes the right and left channel stereo RCA input/outputs. That is why it would not work with the coax connection (mono) from Direct's (or DTivo) receiver. The Terk VR-1 unit works well for my family and myself. My father and cousin both love theirs, as it was one of their Christmas presents from me last year. I have only one S-video connection to my TV, so I use an automatic s-video / composite switcher. It will switch to whatever the last device that is powered on. No matter if the output device is composite or S-Video, they all go into that switcher and then it goes into my TV's one s-video input and the sound goes through my Terk VR-1 device (again it then goes into my TV's left/right RCA stereo channels). Since my one Terk VR-1 is connected to the output of the switcher, no matter what I am listening to or watching it goes through my Terk VR-1. So it works with my DVD/VCR/Tivo + Stereo/MP3 player. I have never tried the TvSound regulator that has been mentioned in this thread, so I cannot directly compare them. The Terk VR-1 has a bypass switch in case you want to listen to your CDs or whatever without it going through the Terk VR-1's Digital Signal Processing, though I never found I needed to. It is really a set the volumn level and forget it device. I do get a kick out of switching it to bypass and back to listen to the difference. It is a really neat device. It does not matter if you switch channels to a loud or soft one because it will raise or lower it as needed... or if a loud commercial comes on, I do not need to rush for the remote to turn the volumn down. Here is a little more information on the Terk VR-1 device:

Information from Terk:
    http://www.terk.com/pdfs/vr1.pdf

A review:
    http://www.positiveimagenews.com/product_guide/audio/terk/octiv.html

The Terk's VR-1 device uses OCTiV's "Volume Logic technology". See this link for more on OCTiV's sound technology: http://www.octiv.com/

I am sure any of the devices mentioned in this thread would work, so I would choose whichever is the cheapest. I think I have seen the Terk VR-1 for as little as ~$39 at one time, while I have never seen the TvSound regulator under $49. Or better yet, buy both and try them. Then keep the one you think performs the best... and return the other. If you do buy both let us know what you think of each. We had one person report owning both, but I would like to hear more people's side-to-side comparisions. I am going to buy another one soon for my other Tivo in my bedroom, so I am tempted to try the TvSound regulator to compare it to my Terk VR-1.

13. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    Fluctuating volumes drive me nuts. I had thought our TV had a balance built in, but I looked through the manual and discovered it didn't. I'll be holding our sleeping baby and suddenly a commercial will come on and blast us out of the room and wake her. Or, as stated here, you go from one quiet channel to one that knocks you out of the room.

I might look into one of these too..

Anyone have a promotional code for the TV SoundRegulator?

14. Tburt

Tburt New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Houston, Tx
    You will be happy with either the Terk's VR-1 or TvSound regulator (from what I have read). If not, return it and try the other.

15. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    I've been doing a little searching this morning and everywhere I run across information, I find people with bad experiences with the Terk. Even the Amazon.com reviews have people saying they went to the TVSR instead or after their Terk decided to die.. so far I've not run across anyone compelling reason not to go with the TVSR..

16. Tburt

Tburt New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Houston, Tx
    I have been using mine for about a year now, and my family since before Christmas 04. All three are still going strong, and that is not counting my friends that owns them without issue. The key to not killing them is reading the instructions. You cannot place it inline between the stereo amp and the speakers. Too much power going to them will burn them out. They are meant to go before the amp. If the failure rate was that high, I would expect at least one of the ones my family or friends to have died by now. I researched these devices also (for several weeks right before last Christmas - to see what other competition was out there), but finding reliable reviews in number of the TVSRs (much less reviews of reliability) is next to impossible compared to the Terks that are sold just about everywhere... plus Terk TR-1s have been out on the market longer. So take those people's complaints with a grain of salt. I would bet that Terks has many more of their devices on the market compared to the TVRS, so they will have many more people on the net complaining when one does go bad as all electronics do regardless of who makes them. Terk has been selling them for well over a year, maybe two - so there are just more people on the net that has them. You will not find many starting a thread or website stating "Terk VR-1's has not failed". But you will find the opposite as it is human nature. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Between people not following directions, and the overall number of units sold by Terk you are bound to see many more people posting such things about them. This really skews the data and cannot be considered anything close to statistical. Terk VR-1s are reliable, so again I would recommend anyone go for the lowest prince and best sound/features... not what several people who we do not know their circumstances stating they killed their Terk VR-1s. My next may or may not be another Terk as I am curious to what the TVRS' sounds like. I think what impresses me the most about the Terk units is when there is dialog of people in a movie bar with music in the background you can actually hear them talking clearly without any problem. It boosts the conversations so you can understand them. The first time I heard that, I was very impressed.

Again, if I was just looking into these I would try both the Terk TR-1 and TVRS. Once I decided which was the best bang for my buck I would return the other. Just make sure the place of purchase will let you return the item. And most of all, read the instructions. :)

IMHO, I do not think people would go wrong with either. Tivo changed my view habits, while my Terk VR-1 has changed the way I listen to TV.

17. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    well, I broke down and purchased a TVSR and I love it. My only real problem with it is that when I pause a show, it will ocassionally cause a hum through my speakers. It never does this during playback.. It does a pretty bangup job on controlling sound levels. I actually had my sound effects (bloop) set to low, and it actually "balanced" it so that it's louder now. Not sure how happy I am with that, but it proves it's working. :D

I record a low carb cooking show on FitTV that always starts with a blasting intro that makes me jump out of my chair everytime it kicks in. This is all back down to normal sound levels now..

FYI, I did a bit of digging around and found a coupon code that gives you a cheaper price, plus an extra year warranty.. use code: "skycast". This has something to do with http://www.skycasters.com/ but I had no problem with them accepting my order anyway.. so I guess it's a "use at your own risk" deal. :D

18. ST1100A

ST1100A New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Oceanside, CA
    Will any of these devices allow me to attenuate the volume level of the Tivo itself? My problem is that I have to turn my amplifier volume almost all the way down, to keep from blasting myself off the couch! Guess it's my fault for having a too sensitive amp and too efficient speakers! I wish the Tivo had it's own volume control...

19. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    I may have jinxed myself. Every show that I've tried has worked well (both live and recorded). However, my wife called today and was complaining about how her Soaps sound. Now I've got to look into that when I get home to see if it's the device or just her.. yay

edit:
    more on the subject.. my wife says commercials are fine, so it's something in the way her Soaps are recorded. I have an idea about them, but I'm not positive. She told me that soaps are generally recorded to tape instead of film, thus they look and sound different than other shows. I've got to wonder if this might be the cause of the problems she's seeing/hearing..

20. Tburt

Tburt New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Houston, Tx

Does it boost the dialog of people a little more than other ambient sounds? For example, a movie that has people talking in a club (or whatever) with loud music in the background. Basically does it boost or lower the music (depending on the levels it starts out at) while boosting the dialog a little extra? Before using the Terk it was hard to understand some of the dialogs, especially in movies when the vol was turned down to not have it blasting music. This helps out with many scenes on TV...even ones not on PPV/movie channels/DVDs/etc.

I think I will try the TVSR next as I need one for my TV in my bedroom. I plan on comparing it to the Terk that I have... as I am going to put either a Terk or TVSR on every TV in the house. It really helps people watching one thing in one room to not disturb others in different room(s) watching something else... plus it helps not disturb people that are trying to sleep while others are watching TV.