Voltage to Replace Batteries on Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Tapper69, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Tapper69

Tapper69 New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    In the past few weeks the remote control for my Tivo Premier has not responded immediately at first try in the morning. Obviously I thought to change the batteries. But before I did that I checked the voltage with my multimeter and both 1.5V AA batteries indicated 1V each. So 1V batteries barely work and the light on the top of the remote is dim. From what I've glanced at on battery life, 1.3V and up is the best voltage.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Two things. First, get Lithium batteries. The work 100% until they die a quick death. Second, get a small flashlight that uses AA batteries. Use it to test the batteries.

A regular VOM is not a good test. A battery tester is more expensive, but I like the flashlight better.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Care to explain why a volt meter isn't a good test?

What is it about a battery tester that is better?

What is it about a flashlight that is best?

I have battery testers. The results seem pretty much the same as my volt meters. To me it seems to be measuring the same way.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A volt meter is designed to put little load on the battery. A flashlight, especially if you can get a strong one with a bright light, makes the load heavy and gives a better indication of the strength. This is not a scientific calculation, just an observation.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    For alkaline batts the voltmeter is fine for testing. The voltage goes down steadily as the batt is depleted. The minimum acceptable voltage varies widely with the device. I've seen devices work OK until the voltage gets town to 1.1 volt or even a little less. When the voltage gets down to 1.3 volts the batt has given pretty much its all (in any device). Just replace it.

6. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Testing batteries of any kind should be done with a little load. Standard voltmeters, by design, don't offer any significant load. The voltage on all batteries wil be different when tested with load or no load. A battery that is nearly depleted will many times show adequate voltage until a small load is added, then will collapase to a very low voltage.

7. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Can anybody recommend a good inexpensive battery tester?

8. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I've had batteries continue to work below .9. (not well, but they work) ;)

9. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I usually replace my batteries at < 1.3V which will show about 40% for a TiVo RF remote.

I have and like this one:
    INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter

Slightly Off Topic:
    Has anyone else noticed that the Roamio RF remotes that rarely get used, like on a Mini v2 in a spare room, drain the batteries to about 40% in just a couple of months with basically no use.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Here's a simple test to see if the batteries are good.

1. Point the remote at your Tivo.

2. Press a button.

3. If it works the batteries are good. If not, replace them.

:D

11. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thanks for that.
    For the record when I mentioned .9 I was not talking TiVo remote.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My last set of batteries in an RF remote with really heavy use were 100% for 10 months. They died in a week. Lithium, of course. The Mini v2 I bought at the same time which gets used for about an hour daily is on its first set of batteries. Still 100%.

More off topic:
    With four remotes in RF mode, all will go red occasionally. That sucks.

13. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just noticed the Mini v2 and I assume the Roamio & Bolt, give you a message when the RF remote batteries are at 10%.

So, I replaced the rarely used, Mini v2 remote with fresh batteries within the last 6 weeks, and I went to use it last night and the batteries were at 10%.

So what could possibly be the cause of the RF remote draining the batteries so fast with no use? The remote is sitting on top of a cabinet, so no buttons are being pressed by accident.

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Seems like the only explanation lies with the batteries themselves.

I never get down to 10% with my Roamio remote because my AVR stops responding when my Roamio says it is at 40%. I then move the batteries to my mini and get a few months of usage out of them.