Voice control

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Kristin Hurley, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Kristin Hurley

Kristin Hurley New Member

Nov 27, 2016

Advertisements

Looking for more fluid options for voice control myself as I'm sure many others are as well now with advancements and affordability of home products.
    My current home setup:
    Google home
    Smart things hub
    Z-wave light switches
    Z-wave plugs
    Nest thermostats
    Nest protects
    I can control almost most of my daily items in my home with voice control. I can even turn my TV on and off but there seems to be limited availability to control a TiVo. (Researched and best option seems to be Harmony hub, but will I have to ditch my TiVo remote?)
    Maybe Google home can allow control for apps so I could assign commands "OK Google change channel to 224" and it uses the TiVo remote app on my phone? But this wouldn't help out the many Amazon Alexa users....I'm hoping something comes about in the near future!

2. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Harmony hub. You do not need to ditch the tivo remote. Just use the harmony to do the power on/off so it knows tivos status.

Kristin Hurley likes this.
  3. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I use harmony and amazon echo to turn on tv and TiVo and to change to fave channels.
    For example 'Alexa turn on Komi' turns on TiVo, TV and changes channel.

Of course give that rovi/TiVo have a voice platform it would be nice to see them bring it bear.

4. Kristin Hurley

Kristin Hurley New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    My only issue was having to buy another hub and to set up each command in IFTTT. Currently Google Home won't talk directly to Harmony but will to smart things or a chance of direct communication through IFTTT.
    I've read some others posts and each action needs to be individually added, it seems very tedious and many have complained over communication drop outs. I will consider tinkering. I'm new to IFTTT but if I make a whole bunch of commands I plan to post for the next guy.

5. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA

Advertisements

I don't use IFTTT for ANY of my home automation way too unreliable for me.

Echo natively talks to harmony.

For anything else I use bwsystems ha bridge GitHub - bwssytems/ha-bridge: it can poke anything that has rest end points and surface it to echo via hue emulation.

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.