VOD Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by dcarcy1054, Jan 23, 2016.

1. dcarcy1054

dcarcy1054 New Member

Jan 23, 2016

Advertisements

Is there any light at end of Tunnel as to when and if the Bolt will be able to access VOD with Verizon Fios?

2. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    You would need a Tuning Adapter which FiOS doesn't have because they are primarily used for SDV which FiOS also doesn't do.

3. adubravcic

adubravcic New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    what is SDV?

4. adubravcic

adubravcic New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    I though Fios had a tuning adapter isn't it the same as the card?

5. adubravcic

adubravcic New Member

Jan 23, 2016

Advertisements

I am new to this so please excuse me if I don't understand much

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There's been no particular evidence at this point of Fios VOD coming to Tivo.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Is there even a tunnel?

Cable cards and TA are different things altogether.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Fios only uses a cable card for linear programming. No tuning adapter.

SRI is saying we would need one for On Demand.

9. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    It needs someway to communicate as the cablecard is one way.

It IS possible that the TiVo could use the lan connection/FiOS modem to request the VOD, just as it uses it for Amazon or Netflix, but that require a custom software solution, which FiOS has no reason to develop or support.

A Tuning Adapter is the easiest way as it is nothing more than a basic 2-way STB and support is already built in at the MSO - but FiOS does not support Tuning Adapters as they do not use SDV.

10. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    No, no, and no.

FiOS On Demand content is provided over IP; it is NOT QAM, and therefore, a tuning adapter is not necessary. What /is/ necessary is some software development on TiVo ... :)

11. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Actually, I was about to edit the post (but you beat me to it) to state that with FiOS it could be configured to operate via the FiOS Modem like their own STB, but it would take 1) The Development money from FiOS and 2) FiOS to give TiVo permission to access the system.

12. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    The technical challenges are relatively simple; it's coming to an understanding... mostly getting someone to see the business value of such a relationship. There is very little accretive revenue associated with opening up mostly free content. The # of TiVo customers who'd be purchasing VOD movies via the FiOS On Demand system is probably small enough that any additional revenue is outweighed by development cost.

13. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    So why did Cox and Comcast bring it to TiVo?

14. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Comcast makes sense because there's been a long standing partnership between Comcast and TiVo.

Cox, they must see some upside to it.

I surely don't disagree with it, just saying that the financials have to work ... as none of us are privy to the terms, I don't know what they look like, but Verizon typically is good at due diligence.

15. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    you do not need a SDV adapter for VOD I have CoxVOD no SDV adapter it's using IP back channel whatever that is.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    I am not in a Cox Market, so I only know what I read.

When you Google Cox VOD now SDV adapter, every result comes back to a Tuning Adapter.

On the Cox website if you search for VOD Now, only 3 results hit and none use the name VOD Now or speak of an adapter.

You sure that the Cox VOD now SDV adapter is not just a Tuning Adapter rebranded with a Cox spin on the name?

:confused:

Btw, all MSO digital STBs are assigned an IP as I stated earlier. The info is sent on the MSO intranet to their head end via IP for the material to start - and tells the STB where to tune for the material.

17. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    yes I am sure no SDV adapter is needed for Ondemand on cox via tivo and cable ondemand is qam based not ip based

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    There was one minor thing. In this video, she mentions the TiVo Bolt being compatible with VOD services from Comcast, Cox, and Verizon.

19. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I created this thread a few months ago discussing the above linked video:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10653833

Verizon has had LG, Xbox, and Samsung TV apps in the past, and their mobile app streams VOD too.

There's no need to deal with the complications of IP backchannels and what not. On whatever level, Verizon's OTT platform already exists. VOD could happen in theory IF they were interested in reviving the TV app.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I have read through the original "hopeful" link on these forums and similar one on the Verizon Fios forum. I have also carefully listened to exactly what was said in the video, there are exactly zero references to VOD with Verizon or anyone else.
    I was surprised that VOD was implemented for Tivo on Comcast and by Cox and I have yet to see any post that gives a convincing reason for their doing so. My experiences with Verizon Fios and their policies and practices regarding cable cards, some might say "tactics", is that there are no plans to develop software that would take away what I believe is the only advantage to renting you their equipment. In fact, the most common argument brought up on their forums for not going to Tivos is the loss of VOD. If that edge disappeared, there would be absolutely no advantage to Fios equipment rental, except the relatively high initial investment for Tivos.
    Further, Verizon has made it clear that it is in the process of withdrawing / selling off of it's wireline networks altogether. It has also started to close some Fios stores in NY, the same as it did in CA, and Texas before their sale to Frontier.
    This is not to say that it is not technically possible because it surely is, but to develop this would be up to Verizon and given there goals I have to say that I do not find any credible evidence of any movement in this direction by Verizon.