vob to tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Warren, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001

Advertisements

since I can no longer use Tivo.net I need a program (FREE) that I can convert my VOB files so I can watch them on my tivo.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What kind of VOB files are they? Meaning are they just single VOB files containing the complete video? Or are they VOB sets like those found on a DVD? If they're single VOBs then you should try simply renaming them to .mpg and putting them in your TiVo recording folders. VOBs are simply MPEG program streams with a few extras thrown in. In most cases the TiVo software can ignore the extras and play them just fine. Although not all VOBs will work depending on how they are structured.

If they're VOB sets, or wont transfer to the TiVo for whatever reason, then VideoReDo (not free, but worth it) is your best bet. It can actually open VOB sets and then output them as a single MPEG file. It can also remultiplex single VOBs into a format that is compatible with TiVo.

Dan

3. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    I used DVD Decrytper to make them. changing the .vob to .mpg works great.

now what about .avi to .mpg?

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Since TiVo.Net isn't working for you anymore, have you tried pyTiVo? Same basic thing without the pretty web interface (and development is ongoing, where as TiVo.Net development stalled when pipakin disappeared a few months ago).

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

You could try paying for TiVo Desktop Plus and using the new AVI transfer feature built into TiVo Desktop 2.5. I've only used it a few times, but so far it's worked great for me.

Dan

6. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Videora for Tivo works great and is free.

7. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I RIP the DVD with "DVD Decrypter", then I use "DVD Shrink" with No compression to extract the main movie or chapters I want into a single .vob file. It also strip subtitles and extra soundtracks.
    DVD Shrink only takes about 30 seconds to extract the movie from the ripped dvd folder since it's not re-compressing.

Then I just rename the .vob to .mp2 and drop it in my TiVo Recordings folder.

8. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    AVI transfers only work if the .avi file is encoded with Divx.
    AVI files that use other video codecs won't work.

9. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I use a program called VOB2MPG (imaginatively enough), a Google search should find it.

It works on decrypted DVD files.

10. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    well DVD Decrytper rips the audio and the video. leaves me with one large 3-5 gig file

I have been useing Videora Tivo but it also stopped working right. And if I messed up on a setting and had to cancel a transfer I would never be able to restart it.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You're adding and unnecessary step. DVD Decrypter has a built in "IFO Processing mode" where you can select a specific title from the DVD to grab. If you switch over to the "Stream Processing" tab you can even select the audio stream you want, remap it to the default stream location and get rid of all the subtitle streams. One thing, before doing this, go into the preference pane and turn off the file splitting option. That way the output VOB will be a single file and not split into 1GB chuncks.

Dan

12. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thanks Dan, I learned something new.

I never poked around in IFO mode.
    Looks like it will save me a step most of the time.

DVD Shrink still has an advantage that it lets you play back segments to see what they are, and it lets you select start and end frames.
    Makes it easy to grab one of the special features or just part of a chapter.

Most of what I've been riping lately is the short bits that my 2 year old wants to watch over and over like Pixar shorts or certain songs which are usually less than a chapter.
    Our old Series 2 has become our daughters VOD server. It's easier than swapping DVDs constantly and searching for the one part she wants to see.

13. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Whenever I drop a renamed VOB file into the Tivo directory, it transfers fine, but when I play it back on Tivo, I get green pixelation on the bottom 3rd of the screen. Re-encoding using Videora works great every time. Any idea why that's happening?

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Certain TiVos can't handle MPEG files which are encoded as 16:9. Specifically the 540 series units, which include the Toshiba and Humax DVD units as well as the standard Humax units and the TiVo ones with the white face and "night light". Unfortunately if you have one of those TiVos you only have two options.... 1) If you have a 16:9 TV you can simply change the header of the MPEG file to 4:3 using a program such as VideoReDo or DVDPatcher. With it set to 4:3 mode the TiVo will display it full screen and you can simply stretch it to fill your 16:9 TV. 2) If you have a 4:3 TV then you'll need to reencode it as a letterboxed 4:3 video. This is the only way to force the TiVo to display it properly on a 4:3 TV.

Dan