VM offering the chance to join the TiVo beta test team

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Mimizuku no Lew, May 17, 2011.

1. Mimizuku no Lew

Mimizuku no Lew Rattus Sapiens

Jan 3, 2011
  2. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
  3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Why? Are they lying? Have they not issued software upgrades? I'm certainly happy with my Tivo. If you aren't perhaps you should send it back! :(

4. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I see this a lot too, particularly on the Virgin forums. "Not fit for purpose", "I don't want to pay my subscription", "blah blah blah".

I like my TiVo too. Sure I had a problem that required a box swap (which did piss me off) but I'm more than happy with the TiVo itself.

5. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I'm sure the OP was querying the "numerous" bit - surely there have only been two updates, certainly that I recall being discussed here.

Do I like my VirginTIVO. Yes - but not nearly as much as I loved my original TIVO which, except when it was downloading or organising data, responded instantly to any command. Put simply, the VirginTIVO usually doesn't.

The suggestions bar taking up half of the windows is still just as pointless - it continues to recommend programmes you couldn't PAY me to watch, in genres I am not remotely interested in (children's cartoons being the obvious one), as well as the odd programme that I'm already recording on a regular basis.

The search function, so elegent and simple on the series 1 is so taken up with recommending actors, that it's made finding an actual programme far more laborious - and who the hell regularly searches for an actor anyway, apart from celebrity stalkers! Two or three characters entered on the old one, and the programme I was looking for was either selected or in the right-hand list. Now I have to type in most of the programme title before it is even on the list. A huge step back IMHO. Searching by program title should be the default, with an option to search by other things like actors name if required as a secondary function.

And as for the extra functionality, I don't use it often enough for it to be useful - certainly not at the expense of speed. Millionaire is quite good though - and Youtube would be good if only it included more than a fraction of what is available from Youtube online.

6. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm sure there have been 4 updates since I had the TiVo in Feb. I'm guessing there have been a lot more since they started testing it last year.

7. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    I think this is youtube's fault/issue though - as all non-computer youtube implementations show a subset of youtube content.

8. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    4 since install on Mar 7th, 5 if you count whatever it arrived with though you wouldn't get to see it in operation.

9. Mimizuku no Lew

Jan 3, 2011
    To be fair though, those are TiVo issues, not VM-specific issues. You'd have the same complaints if VM had never launched a TiVo in the UK and TiVo had released the Premiere over here.

This is correct. I get the same problem with the YouTube app on my Sony TV and Blu-ray player.

10. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    4 updates so far:

19/02/2011 15.1.Y30-01-3-C00 (version at install)
    17/03/2011 15.1.AE4-01-3-C00
    24/03/2011 15.1.AE6-01-3-C00
    07/04/2011 15.1.AE8-01-3-C00
    10/05/2011 15.1.01-01-3-C00

11. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    I was told there would be weekly updates. Have ANY of the 8 pages of bugs logged on here been fixed. Certainly non that affect me (on an almost daily basis), have. The 3rd tuner was enabled (with its bugs) and that is all I have seen that is new. Now they have said they will be concentrating there efforts for the next 3 months on looking into whether or not the picture quality needs improving. Hence my amusement at their statement, "During this time we've issued numerous software releases to ensure the product is something we can be truly proud of." and subsequent lack of faith for the future, supported by similar opinions being expressed in the US.

12. Mimizuku no Lew

Jan 3, 2011
    Who told you there'd be weekly updates? I've not seen that on any official source.

13. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I pressed on this issue when I ordered my TiVo.

I was told "probably every few weeks, initially", which has been what has happened,

14. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    back to the main subject of the thread.

Anyone been accepted as a beta tester yet?
    I know you can't say what you are testing just wondering if people are getting replies yet.

15. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    Apparently they aren't closing applications until Sunday night, so I doubt anyone has heard anything yet.

16. nbaker

nbaker New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Lincolnshire...
    Did anyone get a reply about this?

17. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    I would have thought that anyone on the beta would not be able to say anything at all. First rule of Beta club - you cannot talk about beta club, etc.

18. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    lol :)

19. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I would have thought that some details would have 'leaked' to the rest of us by now if the beta had actually started.

20. nbaker

nbaker New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Lincolnshire...
    That what I was thinking.

With the "Major" update being October not much time left for a proper beta test.