VM Fibre Network - Users, Where are you? [NO DISCUSSION]

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by ericd121, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...

Advertisements

As Virgin Media won't issue a street-level map of their fibre network, I thought I'd ask users
    WHO ARE CONNECTED TO THE VIRGIN MEDIA FIBRE NETWORK
    to post their location here.

I would be looking for the following geographical information:-

• Town
    • Area within town
    • Street
    • Post Code

I feel this would give us a sense of where to search for a property before inputting the Post Code into VM's website.

As with Carl's recent threads, this is a NO DISCUSSION thread.

If you feel posting the above information would be an invasion of your privacy,
    DO NOT post here stating your feelings; just don't post here at all.

I am hoping this thread could be a resource for those of us who might be willing and able to move into VM fibre network areas.

If this thread is successful, we may start another thread to discuss how to input this info into some sort of online GIS database and I'd welcome initial PMs regarding that.

Thank you for reading this! :up::)

[Edited to add] Dropped the NO DISCUSSION from the thread title.

2. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Pretty academic - nobody has fibre to the door. Everyone will have fibre to the main distribution cabinet in the street (these are usually tall, 3-door cabinets). So I'm co-ax from there to by drop wire (which has the phone pair attached). Fibre stops at these cabiets and goes no further, and if truth be told, doesn't really need to go any further.

3. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    You are, therefore, connected to the Virgin Media fibre network then, are you not?

4. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Er no, not in the sense that technology dictates. I'm connected by copper - what's upstream of me is none of my business. BT are supposedly 'wiring' areas of Thamesmead with fibre. It is the fibre that goes to the house, not copper.

Out of interest, how are your respondents going to know if they are connected to 'fibre' if they never see it? I know my urban network is fibre because I saw them laying in (in 1996) but if I didn't it could just as easily be coax-trunks back to the 'exchange', or indeed microwave link.

The ASA allowed VM to use 'fibre' as an advertising selling point, the only reason they got the OK to do this was because their fibre (usually) got closer to the customer than BT, as their fibre invariably stopped at the exchange and the local loop was 100% copper.

Sure, EVERYONE is connected to a fibre network following your acceptance of VM delivery to the door by means OTHER than fibre, as BT do it too. Only BT has promoted fibre to the customers door, VM most certainly have not. (As I'd want it to replace my ageing ISDN2/Home Highway circuits).

5. M_at

M_at New Member

Dec 10, 2000
    UK

Advertisements

What's wrong with people using Virgin's website?

Or even Sam Knows?

Sam Knows provides a good idea of whether cable is available in your area - for instance http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LWKNE and the Virgin website goes down to property level.

The few hundred / thousand users here won't give you as good a picture as Sam Knows already have - even if they're willing to disclose their home address details to a publicly searchable forum.

6. Mimizuku no Lew

Mimizuku no Lew Rattus Sapiens

Jan 3, 2011
    Good grief! He's only asking who's in a cabled area for crying out loud.

7. M_at

M_at New Member

Dec 10, 2000
    UK
    It's a pretty dumb question tbh

I know that availability of Virgin cable is pretty low in my list of requirements for a property and if you really really want to move to any of them the full list is here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/cable/virgin

Pick an area that sounds nice, find a property and shove it's post code into the Virgin website!

8. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    That's a pretty dumb statement, to be honest.

And what has that got to do with my, and other people's list of requirements for a property?

No, it isn't. It appears to be the full list, but it is only a list of BT Exchanges which do not correlate to VM's Fibre Network. The one for my area states the VM Fibre is available in some areas, but I know my street isn't one of them.

That's what you want to do; I want to find the areas where I can receive the VM Tivo service, and then choose from those "an area that sounds nice". Do you really need me to spell this out for you?

Punching post codes one at a time would be a slow process, which this thread, had not you and Buzby decided to ignore my request for no discussion, could have sped up.

Let's see. I have your forum id M_at and your post code, E2 0PD.
    Could I send a letter to you? No. Could I follow you from your house? No.
    Please tell me in what way the details I have requested means people have "to disclose their home address details"?

Thanks. I suspected that this might happen, which is why I put "this is a NO DISCUSSION thread." in the first post.

9. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    In the words of Morrissey, people like you make me feel so tired.

I can not tell if you're being deliberating obtuse, or just pedantic.

My questions back to you would be:-
    Do Virgin Media have a Fibre Network?
    Are Virgin Media offering services which allow customers to (eventually) connect to that network?

My answers to both would be "Yes" as I'm not interested in how customers are connected to that network.

My use of the phrase VM Fibre Network Users was meant to elicit response from people who currently receive VM services and could or do have a VMTivo.

BTW Why did you ignore my request for this to be a NO DISCUSSION thread? I'm curious and would like to know.

10. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Let's take the answers a step at a time, as clearly things need spelt out:

1) If we're going to be insulting to someone who finds your (original) question confusing and is simply clarifying a misconception in the hope others are not misled, you have a big problem. If you actually mean who is connected to VMs CABLE network, then say so. The addition of 'fibre network' is both spurious, and nonsensical. What difference does the technology delivery medium mean to the end user? Nothing! You're either cabled, or you're not. I'm connected to BTs fibre network too. To prevent such misconceptions, only those who are directly connected to a fibre network can reasonably claim they are so connected. At the moment, VM have no residential customers connected in this way.

2) Yes, VM has a fibre network, as do BT, C&W and Kingston Comms to name a very few.

3) Another question that makes no sense when read. They are not offering services that will 'eventually' connect to anything. The fibre is used as a delivery medium to aggregate services (BB/TV & Phone) out to the local DP, it then converts to a local drop wire (not fibre) that carries the services to the customers premises.

4) If you're not interested in the delivery method - why qualify it by saying 'fibre' in the first place? If you want to know who is in a cabled area, say so. A punter usually has no idea if they're connected to fibre or not, but will know a cable connection when they see one.

5) It takes until your penultimate paragraph to see what your original post actually meant. You DID mean cable connections, not fibre.

6) It is an open forum. As far as I'm aware [NO DISCUSSION] is a request. In view of the wooliness of the question, it seemed a clarification was in order to find out what information you were seeking. As someone once said, if you ask dumb questions, you get dumb answers. VM don't offer fibre connections, (to TiVo customers) so responders would be none, unless they too shared your unusual terminology understanding.

I'll let you get back to Morissey listening, I'm too much of a happy soul to bother with any of his output.

11. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Do you know something, Buzby?

If you'd said in Post #2 of this thread
    "I think 'fibre' is misleading; I think you mean 'cable'"
    I would probably have changed it immediately.

However, I would point out that these two users

managed to understand that I was referring to the cable network whereas you did not.

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    tivocommunity is turning into a troll forum these days :( :(

Eric just wanted to build up an idea of areas of the country tivo owners were in and whether they could all get cable

Google maps makes this kind of thing easy with 5 mins work:

put in your name and postcode here
    http://tivocentral.co.uk/virginmap.php

those with privacy concerns can just put the first few letters of postcode, and a nickname if they like.

13. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I wanted. :)

Very kind of you to set up the map, and thank you to all who have entered your location. :up:

14. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Hmm

I wionder if "Shamus" can really get Virgin Media cable in the shetlands? !

15. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    It did sound to me as though you wanted to move house to the same street as another forum member, to be sure of having cable.

It sounded weird to me. There can't be that many people using this forum, and some of them are probably not posting, so the data you get will be very sparse.

16. M_at

M_at New Member

Dec 10, 2000
    UK
    Not quite...

Eric would like to have a list of streets which get definitely do get cable service so he can choose a place to move to. He's not interested in broad areas and then struggling to find properties that he both likes AND have cable.

The first portion of a post code provides very little information that is of use to Eric - In some areas it maps to an entire town or village.

There's some pretty good information on post codes and how they're divvied up at http://www.afd.co.uk/news/datanews.asp or you can use Wikipedia for details of where each postcode relates to.

Using Wikipedia you can tell that - from the partial postcodes listed on your site:

BR3 - This expands to Beckenham, Eden Park, Elmers End, Park Langley, Western area of Shortlands
    TW2 - Whitton, Strawberry Hill
    GU51 - Fleet, Elvetham Heath
    PO4 - Half of Southsea
    PO16 - Porchester

All have areas where cable is available - now this can be derived from the Sam Knows data that I linked to earlier - yet Eric thinks your idea is great despite it providing a coarser granularity than the data provided, and regularly updated, by Sam Knows.

Only those people providing a full post code are providing any detail toward the street level.

And for those of you who think I'm trolling and having a go - a sensible suggestion from me is to find an area that sounds nice and talk to an estate agent - they'll often know where cable is available and will be more than happy to help if your desire to relocate is genuine.

17. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
  18. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Sorry to break the no discussion barrier, I guess that doesn't matter anymore due to the map that has been setup, but you're actually going to move just to get TiVo?!??!?

(Probably the most amount of question and exclamation marks combination I have ever used)

19. frostbitten

frostbitten New Member

Nov 29, 2009
  20. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    It's Tivo!

Move, Bribe, Kill... whatever it takes :p